iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The most successfully introduced North American tree species in Bulgaria.

Started by tonich, March 07, 2007, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonich

@ WDH:

QuoteLime is an important oak spouse here. Up to 10 – 15 % of composition is a very desired amount. There are even some unmixed basswood low-pole woods, but those are secondary stands, more a product of human activity, than a natural factor.

The following Limes are natively spread in Bulgaria:

Small-leaved Lime
Large-leaved Lime
Silver Lime

tonich

@All:

Flatroot = horizontal root
This is when the central root is not developed enough and balanced by the side branch roots. This is typical for the Spruce family. It is a weak point for Norway Spruce and creates management issues. Thus, this is considered an importing silvicultural factor, especially on steep slopes.

Comparing to local oaks, the root system appears less deep, and even more horizontal. There’s been a study on some Red Oaks windfalls here and this is the conclusion. As stated, this could due to some typical soil conditions here. Good guess, Swamp!

I do apologies for not been clear enough! I guess, this is what they call “Language Barrier”  ::) :P

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Thanks for clearing up my ignorance tonich 8).  I am more educated now...........
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

treebucker

Quote from: tonich on March 08, 2007, 06:49:12 AM
I do apologies for not been clear enough! I guess, this is what they call "Language Barrier"  ::) :P

I think you are doing fine with your communication. We have more trouble understanding the native English-speakers among us than we do you.  ;D  Especially the ones from Kentucky.

BTW- I like your house but but I am confused about how you mow the lawn. Does your lawnmower have wings  ???
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

tonich

Quote from: WDH on March 08, 2007, 10:05:53 PM
Thanks for clearing up my ignorance tonich 8).  I am more educated now...........

;)

Quote from: treebucker on March 08, 2007, 10:50:56 PM
BTW- I like your house but I am confused about how you mow the lawn. Does your lawnmower have wings???

That’s right!
I used to have my own ones.
Once!  ;D ;D ;D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tonich

Quote from: WDH on March 09, 2007, 09:54:06 PM
Did you lose your wings once you got into Forestry  ??? :D

Exactly!
Can you ever imagine, flying with those big wings in those complete woods?  :D  :D

Tom

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

tonich

Quote from: WDH on March 10, 2007, 11:16:01 PM
Hey, you know, foresters with wings flock together :D.

Hm!
If you, all the forester from North America flock together to our little Bulgaria, it might cause a huge cyclone over here, because of wing’s vibration. That will seem to change the climate for a while. Could lead to a forest succession and end up to a brand new forest flora, composed by:

black spruce
white spruce
red spruce
balsam fir 
white pine
red pine
hemlock
northern white cedar
tamarack
canada yew
trembling aspen
large toothed aspen
balsam poplar
white birch
yellow birch
gray birch
american elm
butternut
black walnut
white ash
black ash
ironwood
sugar maple
red maple
striped maple
mountain maple
black cherry
pin cherry
choke cherry
scarlet oak
beaked hazel
dogwood
fly honeysuckle
bush honeysuckle
red berried elder
high bush cranberry
speckled alder

and similar…

Perhaps, I should consider finding a new job then…
...…meanwhile, hiring a American/Canadian guy to look after my woodlots…  :o  ;D :D :D

_________

Tom,
There is no direct train from Florida to Bulgaria.
Luckily, there are direct buses every hour. You could catch the first one, leaving. PM me two months later to receive you, straight at the local bus station!  ;D ;D ;D

SwampDonkey

Don't forget basswood, bur oak, red oak, silver maple and green ash.   :D :D ::)

tonich

Addition:
The introduction is claimed to be in 1902-1903. Over 12000 hectares are the Red Oak plantations, created in Bulgaria. The oldest one is in the central park in Sofia, created back in 1908 (this is where I had my practical exercises, when I used to study in The Forestry University). The seeds, collected from this plantation laid the beginning of seedling production and planting many crops. They are mostly in the flat countryside.

PS. Swamp, still no pictures. Sorry!  smiley_crying

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!