iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a Whack 'o Logs

Started by kelLOGg, September 05, 2013, 03:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

A friend is clearing for a house and arranged for 3 dump truck loads to be dumped at my mill. Even though these are not big logs (from 6" to 16") they are all bucked to 16.5' and for the most part fairly clean.  There are over 120 logs and it will probably take me the rest of the year to saw them. They will be 1x4s for fencing, 2x4s, 4x4s, beam material, a lot of slabs to be chipped into mulch and who knows what else.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

drobertson

You bet that's a whack! nice straight looking logs,  they should make some great lumber for you,  Looks like the weather is pretty good too!   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When I start hearing a mill run from the Durham direction.....I'll know its you.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

That's a very nice whack, and just the right size.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

David,  They are nice and straight. If they had been delivered 1 month earlier the dump truck would have sunk to the hood  ;D from the wet spring and summer. Now we are dry, yet 3 miles to the north of us is still getting rain.

Poston, it might be me sawing if you hear it at midnight ;D I have so much (for a manual mill) to saw.
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: kelLOGg on September 05, 2013, 05:58:42 PM
David,  They are nice and straight. If they had been delivered 1 month earlier the dump truck would have sunk to the hood  ;D from the wet spring and summer. Now we are dry, yet 3 miles to the north of us is still getting rain.

Poston, it might be me sawing if you hear it at midnight ;D I have so much (for a manual mill) to saw.
Bob

Good, Fast, Cheap.........Pick One.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

That's a real nice whack of logs!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

I don't know...I'm pretty sure it's at least one over the limit to be a Whack 'o Logs. :laugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Deese

That's a whack of a stack of logs :o :o
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

ddcuning

Bob, you have some work cut out for you! If you need some volunteer help, I can probably lend a weekend or so over the next few months. Just let me know.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

fat olde elf

Robert,
Glad you got your stint installed before you took delivery of that bunch of  great logs. Blessed, really blessed.  Say your prayers..........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

kelLOGg

Quote from: ddcuning on September 06, 2013, 09:24:04 AM
Bob, you have some work cut out for you! If you need some volunteer help, I can probably lend a weekend or so over the next few months. Just let me know.

Dave C

Dave,
Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on it.

However, it's sorta like 30+ years ago when I built my barn. I always thought I would have a barn raising with my neighbors but I soon figured out that the progress was going so slowly that they would stand around waiting for me to figure what/how to do the next thing.

My log handling is so slow it would be the same thing sawing. However, what I would like is suggestions for a market for beams. I would like to cut 6x6s and 8x8s 16 feet long and, using the sawhead carriage, push them onto my trailer and deliver them as I cut. Haven't actually done this yet but I think I can make it work.

Bob

kelLOGg

Quote from: fat olde elf on September 06, 2013, 10:26:37 PM
Robert,
Glad you got your stint installed before you took delivery of that bunch of  great logs. Blessed, really blessed.  Say your prayers..........

I hope it turns out to be a blessing. Right now I am overwhelmed at the demands of trying to market the lumber at my sawing pace. They really just sorta fell into my lap, uh yard, AND I turned down the last two loads (even I have a limit). Based on earlier conversations with my neighbor, I was planning on 100 logs so I didn't take any more. I could have had about 200 logs but I didn't know that until the first load was delivered, otherwise I would have tried to prearrange for other local sawyers to get some. But I STILL have a lot to share.

The stint feels like a non-event now. I never was debilitated much before insertion and I hit the ground running afterwards. Now, THAT is a blessing.
Bob

xlogger

Bob, pine can be a slow seller around here sometimes. If you can move them easy, I have in the past just saw them into cants and sticker them. then cover them up and wait till someone tells you what they want. You never have every size people need. Now the smaller logs I would just pick a size and saw them, they are not worth moving twice. Good luck on a big job. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

kelLOGg

Well, I can load and 8x8x16 cant onto my trailer so now I can either sticker it on my rack or deliver it. See pics.

Backup the head and insert a 4x4 and push the rest of the way. Wooks pretty good - sorta like board dragback except I'm pushing.

Ga Mtn Man

Nice shady setup you got there, Bob.  I do that trick too only I ain't doing the pushing. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!