iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 009

Started by Noble_Ma, November 08, 2002, 11:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noble_Ma

I just bought a used Sthil 009 for a hundred bucks!  I don't plan on quitting my day job and go into logging but this is a lot of saw for the size and weight.  I climbed this oak tree I have out back that I've been meaning to prune a few limbs.  What a nice little saw.  Anyone have any idea what they sell for new?  The woman said she bought it for her husband for $250 but he was afraid of it.  She gave me the gas can, oil and case along with it.

woodmills1

the 009 is a nice one handed saw, for holdin on to the tree with left hand and sawin limbs with the right. :D  also pretty handy around the mill for lopping off slabs, but its not too good for production or firewood.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bro. Noble

Noble,

We have an 09 that we use for cutting brush when opening up log roads, endtrimming boards and slabs, and occasionally a tie.  You are right ---they will do a lot more than you would first think.  Sounds like yours is like new, if so, I'd say you got a real buy.  It's a good little saw for light work.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Noble_Ma

The saw looked like it had never been used.    I had to prime the carb with some gas to get it going at first.  I've already been up a few of the trees in my yard to prune some branches.  That little saw is perfect for that kind of work.  The only thing the wife said was, why do you need another saw?  Talk about raining on a man's parade ;D

ADfields

When my wife would say why do I need somthing I would just say come with me and I will show you, then take her out and work her for a day without it.   I have not herd that statement from her in over 10 years now!   If I want it and we have the money she tells me you need it so go get it.  I'm not trading her off no time soon!!!
Andy

Noble_Ma

I'd try that Andy but it won't work.  I had the wife help me on the mill once pulling slabs.  At one point the slabs were backing up on the side of the mill.  I looked over and saw the wife laying on her back looking up like she had just received a knock out punch.  I shut down the mill and walked over and asked her if she was OK.  She said, and I quote her, " I need a *** break!"  That was the last time she worked with me.

whitepe

Noble_Ma,

Yea that 009 is a mean little cuss of a saw.
My wife got me mine for Christmas of 2000 and
I think she paid $239.  That saw is the little bugger
that got me a weeks stay in the hospital last Nov. 2001
See my post about that story somewhere else in
the forum.  

Here's what it did to my boot. Laid it clean open
They were 1 month old boots so I had the shoe repair
shop stitch them back up. I'm very glad that I
still have a foot (all of it) to put back into the boot.

I've got kevlar boots now.  Go spend the $150 you saved
on the 009 and buy your kevlar boots and some chaps too.

Whitepe
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Ron Scott

The picture sure demonstrates the need for care with chain saws and use of the safety gear mentioned.
~Ron

north_bugtussel

;D Aya, Noble, That is a handy little rig for trimming branches in the tree. You could have a holster made for it ;D I use a little echo 302 for the same purpose on my apple trees.Like Whiteape said, though, don't think their so cute, that they won't bite :D. As for justifying more saws, I told my wife that she should try cooking an entire meal with only one pot or pan :o, she got the idea. I would never think of inviting her to work with me around a chainsaw or skidder, Hxll, she scares me half to death with a lawnmower ;D
Life is full of changes..the secret to life...is to out-live the situation at hand. VB

Noble_Ma

I've read more about the saw since I bought it.  At the time they advertised it as a one handed saw!!  I would never use a saw with one hand no matter how small or balanced it is.

Glad to see your foot lived to tell about it Whitepe ;D

Noble_Ma

Bugtussel, I always tell the wife that there's a right tool for every job.  That worked when I was in the trades.  Now I'm behind a desk or in a lab all day and that doesn't work so good anymore. But, there are some deals that you just can't pass up ;D

whitepe

Folks,

As my wife's poster says.

"One can't have too many cats"

My version reads

"One can't have too many chainsaws"

I have, in order of purchase,  an 011, 029,  009,  Stihl on a stick, and an 044.

Ringbingbingbingbing.

Whitepe
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

woodmills1

045   028  009  028 big stihl ona stick 038  009 066 half as used saws all but one 028 running  orange ya glad again
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Noble_Ma

I have an old 028AV that's close twenty years old.  It still runs but doesn't idle to good.  I think the carb could stand a rebuild.  I just bought a new 290 that's a great saw for what I need.

Thank You Sponsors!