iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the Dolmar equivalent of Stihl 260, and Stihl 362

Started by DebarKing, January 08, 2012, 08:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebarKing

After checking out some more posts on here, the Dolmar/Makita saws have me intrigued. I'm kind of a Stihl junkie, mostly because of the number of dealers close to me. I have found 1 Dolmar dealer in the area and gave them a call. They surprisingly offer demos (the closest Stihl dealer to me was hesitant to fire anything up other than their 290 rental saw)!! I know I just dropped some dough on my 362, but what could possibly be the harm in checking out a nice light limb saw? I like the Stihl 260 as its light and nimble, and I guess I'd be open to purchasing a product from another reputable pro company. My question is whats the Dolmar equivalent of the 260, and for comparison reasons, the 362? Also any opinions would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks guys!! Love this forum!!!
Nick

Stihl MS 362
Stihl FS 55 Trimmer
Stihl 036 Pro Saw
Stihl MS 660 Magnum (Work Saw)
One MEAN Dodge Dakota

lumberjack48

The PS 510 Dolmar is equivalent to a 260 Stihl

The PS 6400 Dolmar is equivalent to a 362 Stihl   

I have no idea how reliable the Dolmar  saw is, i'm sure the crew on here will let us know.             
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

sawguy21

The PS5105 is closer to the MS260 although the 510 is a great light duty limbing/firewood saw. Dolmar offers a very limited range, the next step up is the PS6400 and the largest is now the PS7900.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lumberjack48

The saws are so close, MS 260  3.5 hp, PS 510  3.2 hp, PS 5105  3.8  hp
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ianab

The PS 5105 would compare with the MS260. Both are "Professional" grade saws

The PS 510 would compare more to the MS271 - OK, but not quite on the same level.

I don't think the PS6400 would compare that well to a MS362. The 6400 is built the same as the PS7900. Same weight, but much less power. The 7900 is 79cc and considered one of the better saws out there. There is nothing "wrong" with the PS6400,  just it's heavy for the power it produces. If you are going to lug that weight around, it's better to have the power of the 7900 (which is pretty impressive)

The PS5105 and the PS7900 are the 2 Dolmar saws that are worth a serious look anyway. They don't really have anything that's directly equivalent to the MS362.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

KevinE

Quote from: DebarKing on January 08, 2012, 08:47:20 AM
After checking out some more posts on here, the Dolmar/Makita saws have me intrigued. I'm kind of a Stihl junkie, mostly because of the number of dealers close to me. I have found 1 Dolmar dealer in the area and gave them a call. They surprisingly offer demos (the closest Stihl dealer to me was hesitant to fire anything up other than their 290 rental saw)!! I know I just dropped some dough on my 362, but what could possibly be the harm in checking out a nice light limb saw? I like the Stihl 260 as its light and nimble, and I guess I'd be open to purchasing a product from another reputable pro company. My question is whats the Dolmar equivalent of the 260, and for comparison reasons, the 362? Also any opinions would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks guys!! Love this forum!!!

Hi, I used to have a MS260, I sold it. I bought it because of all the hype on internet forums about how great it was. It has been the most disappointing saw I've owned so far!  :(

If you have a 362, I'd give saws in the 50cc range a huge miss!

I think maybe a 30-35cc saw will compliment your 362 just fine. Less $$$ to buy & more of a gap in performance between between the saws. + they're much lighter to lug around.

Just my .002!  :)

PAFaller

I had a 5100 dolmar, which is the higher revving pro version, I think its new number is 5105. Things get complicated with the darn EPA changing rules and saw makers changing numbers every other year to meet compliance regulations. I have also had a 260 Stihl, and that Dolmar kicked that 260s hind end hands down. I always thought the 260 was kind of a dog, noting compared to the older 026s that were before the EPA nonsense and could be made into little screamers.  With that in mind though I would really consider why you want a 50cc range saw, because while I have no problems with my Dolmar it rarely gets used. I thought it would be my go to saw for cutting firewood poles and softwood, where most time is spent limbing, but I just never really got excited about it. My every day saws are a Jonsered 2172 and a 660 stihl in big hardwood, and I wasn't really willing to sacrifice the speed and power of those to run a saw a couple pounds lighter. With that in mind though, my wife likes to help out on the woodpile and she likes that saw. Its anti-vibe system is great, and I set it up with a 16 inch bar and 3/8 chain so I can break loops off the same roll as my other saws.
It ain't easy...

DebarKing

Thanks a lot for the input guys!! I've really thought about it and have decided i'm probably going to stick with the Stihl line, but go a bit smaller (and cheaper!!) than the 260/261. The way I look at it, if I stick with Stihl, it makes it a lot easier when I do "spring tune-ups" to just make one stop.
Nick

Stihl MS 362
Stihl FS 55 Trimmer
Stihl 036 Pro Saw
Stihl MS 660 Magnum (Work Saw)
One MEAN Dodge Dakota

JohnG28

FWIW I have a Stihl 361 and then a Husky 142 as a small saw.  I use the Husky more than the Stihl in many instances. A nice 40cc saw would make a nice partner for your 362.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

KevinE

Quote from: DebarKing on January 10, 2012, 11:00:00 AM
Thanks a lot for the input guys!! I've really thought about it and have decided i'm probably going to stick with the Stihl line, but go a bit smaller (and cheaper!!) than the 260/261. The way I look at it, if I stick with Stihl, it makes it a lot easier when I do "spring tune-ups" to just make one stop.

I just saw a video of the MS241 C M on youtube; WOW! I want one!

Also; I used a MS170 for a while; it did far more than I thought it would. I know they're cheap, but they are light years ahead of the other "cheap" saws in that price range. And, at about 1/4 the price of the 241, BARGAIN!

tcrew

Quote from: DebarKing on January 10, 2012, 11:00:00 AM
As a owner of a MS250 (45cc),i would not recommend this or any other "occasional use"saw in the Stihl line if ur gonna use it more than a couple times a year, because they will break! I got 3 years of babied use from mine and now sits with a bad crankshaft bearing. The dealer say IDK why,im dumb founded. All i know is after $400 spent,and barley 15 cords cuts with it, it let me down way 2 soon. Nothing i did,,the plastic cage on the crankshaft bearing let go. And the 260 does have better grade bearings, according 2 the dealer. . Its a Pro saw. I bet a little bit older 024 av would be a nice saw for u. They seem 2 run 4ever and run good. Just my .02 cents. Good luck in ur hunt :)

I now run a Stihl MS280(54cc) for my firewood duties and LOVE it! :):o:)
038av super, MS280, MS250,Kubota/loader, Vermeer M50-H Trencher/backhoe ,Case 1150C TrackLoader,3point 25ton wood-spliter

sawguy21

It's unfortunate you had an early failure and a bad experience with a dealer. I understand your frustration but there are thousands of satisfied MS250 owners out there. It is a decent saw for the farmer/rancher/weekend warrior but does fall short for the serious user. This is where the MS241/261 might be a better choice.
I have little time on modern Stihls or Dolmars so really can't offer a qualified opinion. I did put some hard time on a Husky 353 with an 18" bar, it did everything asked of it. However it may be heavier than the op is comfortable with.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

MOwoodchopper

260 is great as is 5105 that would be a toss up, the 260 handles much better though, 6400 is bulky but will smoke a 361 in the wood, 6400 is underestimated alot because of the 7900,  the 6400 with a 20 ,3/8 is a beast pure power, will pull a 24, 7 pin, when needed to
STIHL 084
STIHL 026 X2
STIHL 015
HUSQVARNA 372XP
DOLKITA 7900
DOLMAR 6800
DOLMAR 5105

Thank You Sponsors!