iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logging in maine the way it used to be

Started by snowstorm, September 07, 2015, 05:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyhat

Boy, if theme oldtimers could see it now.   and we still have to winch it up sometimes  :D

loggah

I have had that vhs tape for around  20 years, pretty neat the little HD5's pulling the lombard sleds. ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Maine logger88

I wonder what they did when they had to go down a steep hill? Tie another crawler on the back maybe?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

OH logger

really cool. I got a  kick of it when he said how much easier it was now than it was in the "old days" ;D. it always interest me to think  how they will be logging 70 years from now :-\.
john

lynde37avery

a lot of us still log like that. in my operation i pretty much do. with the cable skidder and crawler minus the log scoot/sled. and my saws are a lot better than that 2 man death machine they used. lol so i guess it is quite a bit different now.
Detroit WHAT?

dustintheblood

Quote from: OH logger on September 07, 2015, 09:28:17 PM
really cool. I got a  kick of it when he said how much easier it was now than it was in the "old days" ;D. it always interest me to think  how they will be logging 70 years from now :-\.

70 years from now, it'll be the xboxed kids running harvester drones from the comfort of their living rooms while sipping red bulls  :D :D :D
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

g_man

Really enjoyed the video. Interesting to see the easy way to log big Maine Pine.

sprucebunny

Thanks !
Ya, at the end I was wondering about going downhill !!

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

IIRC, they have a tender riding along (shown riding in a few of the scenes) to rig up a drag of some sort, similar to what I've heard of when using horses to pull the sleds of logs downhill.

But don't remember just how it was rigged to increase friction.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ken

Those that spent the winter in a camp doing that work were some tough folks.  Before my Grampie passed he told me lots of stories about logging before and after the tractors came on the scene.  Thanks for the link. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

snowstorm

ac had several old films and cat holt had some cool snowplows. with a man ridding on each wing to pick it up with a chain fall. a very cool or cold job

Thank You Sponsors!