iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

redwood

Started by drewsteele, July 16, 2011, 02:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewsteele

Hi guys - I had to take down some redwood trees on my property last week and I'm interested in milling em out for siding for the house we're building. But, I dont have a mill and likely wont for a couple of years. I put blackjack on the ends a couple of days ago. The weather has been cool so at most a few of the smaller ones have some hairline splitting. My question is - with the ends sealed, How long can I keep the logs stacked out of the way before I have to mill em? Anything I should be aware of if I cant get to these for a couple of years?

thx!
Andy

oh and if I want to quarter saw redwood siding - and I dont want to spend more than 10k should I be looking at swing blade or bandsaw? thoughts?

beenthere

drewsteele (Andy)
Welcome to the forum.

I would have suggested something other than blackjack on the ends, but now that it is done then no turning back. But other than dealing with it on the eventual lumber, no harm, no foul.

Redwood should hold up pretty well for a couple years. May lose some of the sapwood if logs are in contact with the ground. And how long can you keep them...no answer as it will just depend on the conditions.

Post some pics (how to do that in "Behind the Forum" forum under "Home") for a better image of what you have to work with. Look forward to learning more about your building project. :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

drewsteele,welcome to them forum. I would lay down a couple logs and pile the logs on top. I would try to keep the logs from touching too. Need air to circulate around them. Kinda late to peel the bark off the logs too. Would take some time to do that now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!