iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to find wholesale buyers of grade hardwood lumber?

Started by Okrafarmer, November 08, 2014, 12:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

I know of one buyer within a 2 hour radius of Greenville, SC, but would like to find more within 3 hours or so. The one buyer I am aware of currently only buys yellow poplar and red oak.

Is there some methodical way of locating all the buyers in my area? I am working through a potential business model with a friend and am needing to find some wholesale markets to base our scenarios on.

As many of you are aware, I live in one of the most species-diverse areas of the US, with over 100 millable species growing naturally within a 25 mile radius of where I live. Many additional species can be had within a 100 mile radius. All my selling, to date, has been retail, so I never managed to develop too many wholesale contacts for hardwood species.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Oftentimes your state forestry office or extension forestry office will have a listing.  Such a listing is assembled by the dept of Commerce too.  You will also find them as members of the SouthEastern Lumber Mfr Assn and similar local organizations.  Finally, you can check various trade magazines for ads from wholesalers.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Glenn1

I wish I lived closed to you (near Winston Salem).  I could use some quality logs for my new venture.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!