iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wanting to build my own timber frame

Started by stl_6string, January 13, 2006, 10:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stl_6string

Well, I have this idea that I could with enough research, maybe a seminar or two (three or four) and some actual hands on experience, build my own timber frame house.

How reasonable is it to think that a guy with only a few DIY remodel projects under his belt could attempt such a thing. Certainly, I can't be the first person with no real home building experience that wanted to build his own home. Right?

Short of reading every post on this board, where should I go to learn more about timber framing before I either get this notion out of my head or actually jump on it and do it?

Qweaver

I'm sawing wood now to do the same thing.   I went to Amazon.com and bought some books that actually go thru the timber-frame building process.  The one that I find myself looking at the most is "Build a Classic Timber-Framed House" by Jack Sobon.  But there are several others and I really can't recommend one over the other.  I also bought some books covering conventional construction and wiring.  I had several older construction books but I wanted to be more up to date on current codes.  I'm really enjoying the planning process and the felling and sawing of my own trees.  Have fun.  And BTW, this forum and others in the Forestry Forum is a great source of advice from people actually doing the "stuff".
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

treeboy

Hi stl_6string, I am planning to do the same thing, my favorite book is The craft of modular post and beam by James Mitchell. Our forefathers had to do it and with no power tools or steel plate fasteners. Check out some other threads, lots of others doing the same.

Good luck

srjones

I'm in the middle of one as are a few other's here too. 

QuoteOur forefathers had to do it and with no power tools or steel plate fasteners

But if they had power (electric/combustion/hydraulic) I'm pretty sure they would have taken advantage of it...  :D
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

Thank You Sponsors!