iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6" wide band mill with only 8 horsepower.

Started by Dave Shepard, March 20, 2015, 06:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

hunz

Are these American Amish that have relocated? Looks like a labor of love to me, it has got to be a lifestyle choice for sure!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Correction that is a 7 hp mill. The second horse on the left wasn't pulling his weight.

Very interesting. I'm not ready to rush out and trade in my WM though.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

hunz

Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

redprospector

Made me think of the way my Dad described doing things in the 30's and early 40's. He showed me the old horse powered hay bailer that was still on the old homestead once. He said that your job was to use the whip and keep things turning, until you got big enough to do something else.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

IndianaJoe

They sure are amish. They can go down there and live the life just like there fore fathers did before us "English" messed with the wholesomeness and purity of amish living.

Southside

I am thinking if I bring my LT35 down there I could open up a modern, high output mill operation!!! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

But theirs only needs hay.  Yours would need fuel.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

landscraper

Quote from: Magicman on March 20, 2015, 07:44:51 PM
I like the kid with the whip.   ;)

I bet that little guy is dizzy by the end of the day turning in circles like that.

Based on what I see at 5:07 I'm going to start working on designing an animal-powered debarker for these guys to extend blade life.  I'm thinking just one or two howler-monkeys per log with small hatchets.  They are both available in Belize (monkeys and hatchets), no problem with replacement parts.  The kid with the whip could keep an eye on them too. 

Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

sealark37

Having seen Belize firsthand, I am curious as to why the Amish prefer Belize to Pennsylvania or Ohio.  Is the land cheaper, or is the government less intrusive, or just not so many english around to clog the roads with cars and trucks?   Regards, Clark

WmFritz

Quote from: sealark37 on March 23, 2015, 03:39:35 PM
Having seen Belize firsthand, I am curious as to why the Amish prefer Belize to Pennsylvania or Ohio.  Is the land cheaper, or is the government less intrusive, or just not so many english around to clog the roads with cars and trucks?   Regards, Clark

No OSHA watching over them?  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Ron Wenrich

There's supposed to be a decent sized Mennonite community in Belize.  Belize also uses English as the official language.  They use PA Dutch amoung themselves, but are familiar with English.  Land is cheaper, taxes are better, and they have a longer growing season.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

terrifictimbersllc

Their 14" shop bandsaw is powered by a goat.  :D

These are probably old order Mennonites, not Amish. And their history of immigration to Belize is probably from either Russia or Manitoba. There are many Mennonites in Paraguay and Belize coming from Europe since the late 1800's. Doubt many of them have seen PA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonites_in_Belize
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!