iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need a down home recipe

Started by Jeff, August 16, 2018, 04:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This year for the first time in 15 years the Pigroast hog showed up with his head and neck still attached.  We only freaked out one adult and two children before Chet and I got it removed. The head is still in the freezer, the neck is still in the freezer. I aint cooking the head. fogetaboutit!  However, @Weekend_Sawyer  told me I should save that neck and have neckbone and rice.
So!  I'm looking for a recipe. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

Neck bones n rice. This could have been put in poverty meals too.

My mother used to make this and it was fast and easy. These days I don't see neck bones for sale in the store like we used to but they were cut to look like pork chops with not as much meat on them.

Mom would put them in a pot, add a cup and a half of white rice, a cut up onion, bell peppers, carrots, celery and corn.
Rutabaga would be good, also squash. You get the idea.

Add a cup of chicken broth and 2 cups of water. Seasonings would be simple, salt pepper, garlic. These days I add some curry and Italian seasoning and a jalapeno pepper or 2.

Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
Very, very good.

My mama could cook, she made me the man I am today.

Jeff, since your neck is whole I would simmer it in the pot for 30 minutes first then add everything else. That should loosten the meat on the bone.

Waa hoo
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Texas Ranger

souse with the head, or head cheese ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Put the head in a big pot and make Brunswick Stew.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

The morning after a hog killing we always had scrambled eggs and brain. 

Just cook the neck like you would a deer neck.  Your MIL would know what to do with it for sure.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Roast or boil the head whole. Pick the meat from it and make tamales. That is what tamales were traditionally made from.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

timberking

Love me some scrambled eggs and brains or head cheese over my grits.

Jeff

Jeff

The neck and onions and celery simmered for 4 hours. I added a little left over frozen roast pork after that along with the rice and some black beans.

Dan_Shade

I thought the beans were raisins.... 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Tammy cant do spicy, but I added Tabasco to my bowl. BAM!

Thank You Sponsors!