iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TF classes in the North East

Started by Mortice, February 26, 2008, 09:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mortice

Hello everyone, Ive been lirking here for a little while. Finaly made a post the other day on sips. A little about myself, like everyone here I love timber framing, well.. love to learn how more so than do at the moment. My wife is getting sick of the books laying all over the house... I'm just getting going...

The reason I am posting is I have been looking for a class here in the New Hamphire area, I havent seen much but see some guys on here from my part of the woods. It would be great if anyone had an idea of where I should start my education?

Chris

bigshow

I never try anything, I just do it.

Mortice

I was looking at shelter institute but I will check into Heartwood. I would also like to learn more about Jim_Rodgers classes. I would love to learn some of that crook work I see on that shed!

If you get a chance Jim, please send me some info. If you read this...

PaAnkerbalken

Heartwood is in Mass.  There is one in Maine.....Fox Maple I believe. :-\
logosol M7

moonhill

Mortice, how far would you travel and what time frame are you looking at?  Tim B.
This is a test, please stand by...

Jim_Rogers

I haven't started a spring schedule for my workshops yet.
What we usually do is a workshop on a Saturday, one day event, so that everyone can keep their regular work day jobs going and not interfere with that.
We hold them every other weekend or so depending on other events and timber framing meetings.
I'll be looking for a spring project building to have the students cut as the last one was basically done and awaiting shipment to Texas, including the siding.
If I don't get a commissioned job, then we may just pick a structure from the guild's new plan book and cut one if these for practice and then for sale.

You're welcome to join us when we start up.

Drop me a regular email from your regular email address, and I'll add you to my invitation list and when things get started you'll get the regular notices.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Mortice

Quote from: moonhill on March 03, 2008, 06:54:23 AM
Mortice, how far would you travel and what time frame are you looking at?  Tim B.

I'm always up for down east maine Thaya.

I would travel in the northeast, looking to do it probobly this summer. Right now I am right up against the wall with work and trying to design a bandmill to build. Jims class sounds good on the weekends, but it would be great to get a weeks class just to try and absorb as much as possible. Im exploring options at the moment, figured there must be some good recomendations on here. Would make for a good summer vacation....

I've been reading my Sobon and Benson books trying to get an idea of simple joinery, so far so good. They have some simple joinery to build a good size shed that I may try. It will be fun, plus I need a home for my motorcycle and tools.

moonhill

Mortice/Chris, Back when I started It would of been great to visit a few different shops and see how things compare, everyone has a different style.  And you can pick up little tid bits in a short time where it takes years other wise.  Some shops would welcome a visitor others may not.  Tim B.
This is a test, please stand by...

Jim_Rogers

You can also look at Heartwood school in Western MA for classes.
I've been there, know the people.

And Yestermorrow school in VT. I've been there, selling tools, many times.
I know the instructors there.....

And as mentioned Fox Maple, in Maine.

Each of these schools hold one week courses.

There is also a one week (five day) course taught by Jack Sobon and Dave Carlon held at the Shaker village in Western MA, in September, each year.

Been there as a student, and selling tools many times.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!