iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal detectors

Started by maple flats, April 15, 2005, 08:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

Just bought a Garrett GTA 350 off ebay.  Anybody know anything about this model?  I couldn't find it listed on their web site, must be a model no longer in production. They had a GTA 400 listed so I figured it was the upgrade.  Last Sat. I cut through some metal in an Elm that looked like drift pins used to remove drill and centers from morse tapers.  They are tapered from about 1 1/2" at top to just about a point 6" away.  They must have been driven in at about 120 deg. apart.  I found them all with the blade and figured it's about time to splurge on a detector.  Got it for 150 + 30 shipping.  Now all it's got to do is work and I learn to use it. :D  That could be a long lerning curve for me anymore. ;D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

That's a pretty DanG good Detector, Glenn.  It is discontinued, but, better than the TA 250.  Foller this thread to the top, and set yer controls like I posted. Then, Practice, practice, practice. Ya goin to Ho Hi Ho ???  We's gonna have a BIG ole time  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

etat

I've always been tempted to buy a metal detector to use around the older houses we roof.  But then I get to thinking about the consequences and troubles that could come up if I ever DID actually find something and I figure the hassles just ain't worth it.    So, no metal detector, no gold, and no troubles. It's still kind of a daydream though! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Tom

Charles,
If you even have an inkling that you might enjoy it, you should get one.  You don't have to use it on the job.   There are plenty of places to "treasure" hunt.   I like old nails as much as old coins.  'Course I"ve never found one worht a lot of money.   

It's the old axes and hammers that turn me on.   Finding an old blacksmith's shop and oxen and mule harnesing was pretty neat.   I found the old railroad to a defunct town.   I found the old schoolhouse and the piping that carried water to many of the houses from the community flowing well.

I found a friends wedding band that had been lost for 5 years.  It was in the Azaileas in his back yard.  I found a pearl necklace that belonged to the wife of another friend.   It was in the front yard in plain sight.  They had walked all over it.

I frequently look for survey markers.  That's fun. 

I am still finding tools that my sons "planted" in my front yard.   I found some coins that I dropped when I got out of the car too.

I found the key to The Doctor's Lodge on the Satilla.  That was exciting.  Charlie was there with me when I found it.

You just have to get you one. It's the most fun you will have alone or with your kids (grandkids).   History is everywhere just an inch or two below the surface. :D

Kevin

QuoteOne day I got a job sawing some logs for the telephone man. He just happened to have in his truck the wand used to locate telephone wires under the ground. The end of the probe is about the size of a walking stick.

I'm not quite certain how that would work because most of them work from transmit and receive signals through a length of metal, that is you place the transmitter over something metal and follow it with the receiver.
Did he place the transmitter on the log ?

Rockn H

Kevin, Southwestern Bell, here, uses something that resembles a wand the airport sercurity would use.  They just walk along waving it at the ground.  It does'nt have a display, just audio.  The cable company here, Charter Communication, uses something similar to what you discribe though.

shopteacher

Thanks for the reply Harold.  Nice to know I may fair Ok, buying a pig in a poke an all.  I'll go back and reread your instructions and give it  a try when it gets here. Will let ya know how it goes.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Rockn H

Need help.  My wifes aunt bought her husband a Treasure Hunter 3030 off of Ebay and can you believe there are no instructions.  I can show him the basics but I'm not sure about some of the discriminate modes.  If anyone can help me find some instructions for this I would appreciate it.  I'm just tired of hunting the internet with no luck. Thanks

Fla._Deadheader

Not looking good. Website has expired and the suggested retail is $695.00, buy it for $189.00 ??????

Never heard of this machine, but, we ben away from Detectors for a while.

Here's the info, for what it's worth.

Treasure Hunter 3030 Top Of The Line Model **Free Shipping**
ALL NEW expert level detector

MSRP $695.95 - Our Price $186.95 Blowout $509 Savings !

Manufactures Website

www.treasurehunteronline.com

This is what you've been waiting for. Treasure Hunters newest, and most powerful treasure hunting metal detector, just released on the market in MAY 2004. The 3030 Professional model is equipped with a powerful 18 bit Z-100 Computer Microprocessor® and a large digital panel which combines with Treasure Hunters Patented Technology to offer even more features, performance and value than any other detector that Treasure Hunter produces. This detector is the next generation from the XJ9. There has been some improvements from the XJ9, including the level and stability of discrimination, the added function of the target depth indicator. This gives a very accurate reading of the depth of the desired target on the LCD screen (up to 45cm for a small coin). Also, the 3030 has greatly increased the function of the disc/notch feature. Suggested Retail is $695.95. With an excellent recovery rate, easy operation, and lightweight, the Treasure Hunter 3030 is truly a Treasure Hunter's dream.

Three operation modes: all metal (to detect all kinds of metal), disc (to discriminate metal type), notch (to eliminate some objects)

• Most powerful detector by TR
• Selectable for target detection/rejection
• Lightweight for ease of use
• Z-100 18-bit computer
• Programmable sensitivity adjustment
• Auto ground balancing
• 1/8 inch headphone jack
• Touch-pad control panel
• Target image indication with large LCD
• LCD can display the depth of the target, the sensitivity, disc/notch, metal type
• 3 distinctive audible tones for different metals
• Auto low battery indication
• Telescopic handle new comfort design
• Waterproof 8" coil
• Professional treasure hunting detector
• Uses 2-9V batteries
• 5-Year Limited Warranty

Purchase  @ $186.95                 

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Rockn H

Thanks Fla_deadhead.  Wifes uncle stopped me today and asked if I would give him a crash course tommorrow.  Thought I would try to get an idea of how his was set up after he told me what he had been trying with it.  It doesn't seem to be picking up some metals, but like I said he's not sure what bottons he's pushing. ::)  I found the site you mentioned along with this one that says it's made by Shanghai Research Institute of Microwave Technology in mainland China.  ::)
http://www.globalsources.com/si/6008802865132/srimt.co

One more reason I like buying locally or from a reputable company i.e. one that's been around a while.

D._Frederick

RH,

What they use out here to detect underground pipes and phone lines is not a metal detector. They hook a signal generator to the lines and pipes and have a receiver they use to pick up the generator signal. They have a general idea what is located in a given area that needs locating.

AtLast

I run 2 differant detectors....depends on where Im milling...I HIGHLY rec. the Garret GTI2500....many variables and displays depths and size....I also run the RENS and LOVE it as well....but again it depends on where you are milling...the RENS goes right through the log and picks up water line, electrical etc so I only use it when Im milling in an area least likely to have these things...but the Garrett eliminates that in the " city" by being able to isolate and discriminate

dail_h

I have two detectors,one is a Norwood LM 2000. It is 100% efective for finding any kind of metal ,or other foriegn object in logs. The other one is........I'm not sure of the brand,bought brand new from a FF member,and never taken out of the box. So far it hasn't been very efective at locating metal,of course my tests may not be very acurate,orfair to this particular unit.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!