iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Ford ?

Started by sandhills, April 24, 2015, 11:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

Didn't want to highjack Yukon's thread, does anybody know about replacing the cam sensors on 5.4 gas engine?  This would be in a '04 F150, I already gave the mechanic the go ahead and fix it, it's wife's daily driver but I thought it seems pretty pricey?

coxy

I just put one in my 05 dodge it was 28 bucks at napa wasn't bad to put in took a little wiggling to get the old one out  how much is it for a fabulous ford  :D sorry read the post wrong I put a crank sensor in it  the cam sensor I think they told me was like 60-80 bucks

sandhills

Add a few zeros.  Long story, I never drive this pickup but the other night my daughter wanted to check cows with us and seeing as how I basically live out of mine right now it had enough junk in it so we took the wife's.  I said what's that whining noise and of course it was the rearend, checked the grease, a little low but not bad, but it was warm so we took it up there to have it looked into.  Normally I'd do this myself but no time for it right now, got that fixed along with new brakes and he mentioned something about a bad noise in the engine compartment.  I know it was kind of noisy but attributed that to having 140k miles, oil had just been changed a few weeks ago, 2 quarts low  :-\.  Thinking back realized where she had it done, they put 5 quarts into what takes 7 1/2, ok change the oil and fill it see what it sounds like, bad.  I do trust this mechanic, small town everybody knows everybody type of thing, he said you have a bad cam sensor (I also noticed it really wasn't idling right that night) my wife and daughter drove it up there so I can't really say how bad the noise was by then which was a few days/100 miles later.  What I don't understand, he says the sensor going bad will not allow oil to get to the heads, they are putting in new cam bearings or seals or something, something to do with the oil pressure (which has always been fine), I just don't know enough about this newer stuff.  I miss my old '79  :'(.  Like I said I do trust this guy enough but I was in the middle of ten other things when he called and really didn't grasp the whole conversation, I think I should have.   

snowstorm

could it be the cam faser ? it controls the variable valve timing

sandhills

very possible and now that you say that I think you're right snowstorm.

celliott

When I was looking to buy a newer F150, in my research I found that the cam phasers were a common problem on the 5.4.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

julio

cam phasers and rocker arm and valve springs. and don't put ford factory cam sensors back in them they have had a problem with them , ford dealer ship here uses napa brand they is a tsb out on them from ford
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

Thank You Sponsors!