iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy needs some help

Started by N_Gilmore, April 22, 2011, 02:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N_Gilmore

Hey guys,  I'm just about complete with my first horizontal band saw rig.  So far all of my questions have been answered just by reading threw some old posts.  Yesterday I ran the engine, which is a 10 hp yanmar, and the band tracked perfectly on my 19" v belt pulleys while under tension.  My question is how much downward force do I put on the band with my band guides.  I'm using the rollers with a 1/4" shoulder on the back.  Thanks guys.

Jeff

Here is a post I recall Tom making some time ago, and I've seen basically the same answer posted a few other times as well by others. I think that is what you were asking. Welcome to the Forum.  :)

Quote from: Tom on November 17, 2010, 04:43:45 PM
The only thing I can judge by is what manufacturers have used.  It depends on the guide system more than anything.  Woodmizer uses a guide roller and applies a quarter inch of downward deflection on the band.  That is a lot of pressure at full extension and they use a solid square bar of about 1.5" .

Baker uses a flat guide system and there is no downward pressure on the band.  As a matter of face, there is no touching of he band at all unless it needs its track corrected.  They use, what has to be, a heavy walled 2 or 2.5 inch square tube.  I don't know right off hand how thick the wall is, but I'll bet it is better than an eighth..

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bill Gaiche

N_Gilmore, welcome aboard. I run 1/8" on my homemade bandsaw. bg

scrout

Welcome.
The Linn design uses 1/4 inch downward deflection and the mounts are not super beefy.

Magicman

Welcome N_Gilmore, to the Forestry Forum.  Mine isn't a homebrew, but I agree with ΒΌ".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

N_Gilmore

Thanks guys, I'm sure my guide extensions will be strong enough I have 2" .188 wall tubing inside 2 1/2" .250 wall tubing with allthread afixed inside to it will retract or pull in the guide,  also has positive locks.  Thanks so much for the help, Hopefully I'll soon have some pics to share.   What are you guys using for lubrication on the band, before it enters the cut ?  I thought it was just water. 

tyb525

Water with a little automatic dishwasher soap works good. Others use a diesel and bar oil blend, but personally I like the water and soap.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

Use the search feature above and enter blade lubrication, etc.  You will fine many threads and more different opinions.

Here is one:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41376.0.html

And another:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,49402.msg713943.html#msg713943
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

i have nothing to add to the good advise here except...

welcome to the forestry forum N_Gilmore

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!