iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing at Bobby's in McClenny

Started by Tom, December 17, 2005, 01:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

What a rough job this turned out to be.  After 3 weeks of rain, a trip to Tenn., Bobby digging logs out of a bulldozed pile, mud, wind in our face, we finally finished.  About 6780 BF of pine for his barn lies on two trailers and three stacks of wood in the background.   Bobby off-bared it all by himself with some help from his Brother in Law the first couple of days and Trevor, his high school aged nephew, for the last couple of days.   We cut a bunch of 3 x 8's, 2 x 6's and 1 x whatever's  with an occasional 2 x 4.  Most were in the 20' and 16' lengths.

It's quite an endeavor.  He is also building a new house on new ground and living in a camp trailer.

After this picture, I broke the mill down, got my money and went home.  Trevor had planned a bon-fire for his friends so he was getting the slab pile ready.  It'll be a hot one.  Bobby received the trusses for his house as I was breaking the mill down and then had to go get cleaned up.  With all else he had going, his wife was taking him to the mall, shopping.

pigman

Quote from: Tom on December 17, 2005, 01:30:28 PM
With all else he had going, his wife was taking him to the mall, shopping.

If I had a choice, I would rather saw 6700 ft of dirty logs than go to the mall shopping. Of course , going to buy myself a new woodworking toy tool would me another story. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

Kewl Tom, nice looking lumber.  ;D Who where those guys walking all over that nice clean lumber ??? :D Kidding of cos ;), but I bet it's alot cleaner now with the mud sawed off it. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

UNCLEBUCK

Everytime I read your sawing stories I feel like I was right there helping along .  Very very good ! You really get around with your sawmill  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Tom

Thank's Uncle Buck.  You never know.  You might be vacationing in Fl. sometime and get recruited.  :D

ellmoe

Tom,
     My Mother was born and raised in Macclenny (well Glenn, actually). Great-Granddad was the county judge and founded a local church. Granddad was the jailer and two of my Uncles were born in a cell in the old jailhouse (still standing). It used to be that I could say that I was probably related to almost anybody there, not anymore. The growth there, and what is coming, is unbelievable. My hunting lease is just east of the town, right on US90. Four years ago I lost my "stand" to a Wal-mart Distribution center. Now, when I go enjoy the "peace and quiet" of the woods, I can hear the beeping of the forklifts as they back-up! :) :(
   As with others, I always enjoy your sawing adventures.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Tom

You're right.  Those little towns have been "found".  No more cheap land, fewer friendly neighbors and more red tape.  Glenn isn't the other side of McClenny anymore.  It's the next exit past the second McClenny exit. :-\

Thank You Sponsors!