iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need advice about buying a skidder with no vin tag

Started by plasticweld, July 01, 2010, 09:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plasticweld

I am looking into buying a mid 80s 240 D Timberjack, I have only spoken on the phone with the owner who seems to be a straight shooter and long time logger. Based on what he is telling me that and if his machine is everything he says it is I am ready to load up the low boy and head down to pick it up. Price is $15,000 I asked for the vin number on the machine so I could put it on my insurance policy so if I wrecked it while moving the  machine I would have it covered. The owner says the tag is gone, the dealer said that there is a serial number on the back of the cab. He said he has looked  but can not find.

Is this unusual for something like this to happen, I don't feel comfortable buying a machine that has no numbers, how would I tell if there is a lean or if it is stolen. The guy has said all the right things but I do not want to be foolish.

Some advice would go a long way here, If not anyone have a good running machine they need to get rid of for under $20,000

Raider Bill

I'd shy away from that deal. Many people got in big trouble possessing unknown stolen property.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Bobus2003

How far is it away from your location? Wouldn't hurt to make a run down and look it over your self for the tag(s) and numbers.. plus you could see it run

aksawyer

Most the Timberjacks that I have been around,at least since the late 70s,have had stamped #s not tags.Where I work during the weekdays,we run two 660Cs they have serial #s stamped on.Same with the Timberjack 2628 feller buncher that I run has them stamped in the metal.Aksawyer

MaineLogger

240 D's were made in the 70's not 80's.If you look close around the step area it should be stamped under the layers of paint.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

Gary_C

Quote from: plasticweld on July 01, 2010, 09:15:07 PM
Some advice would go a long way here, If not anyone have a good running machine they need to get rid of for under $20,000

Yep.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,44764.0.html
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Corley5

It's got a serial # plate too but I've never looked to see what the # is  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

laffs

timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

plasticweld

I came home with the 240, the number was as MaineLogger stated under the paint where the vin tag used to be just painted over. It is a 79; it was advertised as a mid 80s machine. It was in the shape the owner said it was.
When I thought that I would need to find a different machine I was discouraged at how few machines there are out there really had been kept up. My gut feeling was that most machines where coming from places that no longer could  make a go at logging and one of the things that suffered was machine maintainace. There is not much to look at in the north east for under $20,000. I have 250,000 board feet plus plup and fire wood that needs to be cut from now until Oct 1st so I needed something that would give me at least 3 months of only minor break downs. It would have been nice to have a bigger budget to do this. With any luck and lots of hard work the machine should be paid for in that time frame and the job done. Thanks guys for all of the info. I would post up some pictures but the Java loader does not work for me every time I click on it it kicks me off of the site..Bob

Don K

Good luck on the machine. I have never used the Java uploader. I use the older method using xat to resize before before uploading. There is a good tutorial Jeff made a few years ago that goes step by step creating folders and how to upload. I worked my way through fairly easily and can now upload a batch of pics in a few minutes. Check it out. We would love to see pictures of your machine and the work you will be doing. Ask questions and we will help you through if necessary.

Don

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

PAFaller

If nothing else that machine is bulletproof and simple to work on. I bought an 84 240A in decent shape. Its had its bugs for sure, but it starts and pulls wood day in and day out and there isn't much you can't fix with basic tools and a trip to NAPA. Plus its got a Detroit, so you don't fall asleep in the seat hahaha!!
It ain't easy...

plasticweld

Pulled my first hitch of wood today with the machine. I am amazed at how difficult they are to opperate. I have run John Deere, Clark and Cat all of which took only a few hours to get used to and where simple and straight forward. I have been running machines for 30 plus years and there is nothing that I can think of that I worked so hard at learning to run.  I still can't get used to the winch not being live, moving the reverser and putting it in gear to run. I still have to think is Up on the steering lever left or right when ever I get close to the edge of the road cut into the mountain that drops away 20 to 30 feet staight down, I was little more comfortable by the end of the day, it does seem to pull good but I feel like a rookie trying to figure this thing out. After today I have only 1803 trees left to cut between now and Oct 1st  I miss my Clark 666 

Thank You Sponsors!