iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Estimating Ohio white pine log board foot.

Started by braucher, July 12, 2010, 09:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

braucher

Hi guys, having some timbering done on my place. The details can be found in my post titled "after clear cut".

Just trying to keep some tabs on the logger, who seems very straight shootin' thus far, on the board foot removed from my land.

Using the toolbox below, i estimated that most of my trees are 30 to 60 inches DBH. Length is averaging 35 -45 feet. The calculator said 3500-4500 board feet per LOG.   My timber guy tells me that he is getting 15-20 logs per load on the truck trailers and that is averaging around 4000 board foot per LOAD.

He has taken approx 5 acres of these logs so far and  have gotten paid for 40,000 board foot to date.

Something doesnt add up here...............Am I getting hoodwinked?!?!?!........these pines cant be worth 300 bucks a tree.......what am i doing wrong?

Jeff

Are you confusing Diameter with Circumference?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gary_C

I would like to see some pictures of those 60 inch DBH trees that are 35-40 feet long. Or did you measure circumference instead of diameter?

I don't know where you are located but around here a white pine over 18 inches diameter would not even be worth pulp wood price right now because no one will buy them. So with the numbers you give us, it sounds like you are doing very good at $300 per tree.

And now is not a good time to starting to not trust your logger. If you don't understand the numbers, talk to him about it or hire someone like a forester that is knowledgable and can explain it to you.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

You could only fit one 60" dbh by 45 ft long log on a trailer.  30" dbh you might be able to get 9 on but you would be way over loaded.

braucher

Sorry guys, forgive the ignorance.

I am measuring around the tree. Most are easily 60+ inches this way.
Measuring across would be 20-30 inches.

This may explain a few things.....LOL.....I am not getting 300 dollars per tree, that is for sure.

These logs are big in my eyes, you can just grab your opposite wrist reaching around them at breast height on most of the trees. So i see now where my mistake is occuring. After reentering the correct numbers into the calculator this is making more sense, and more along the lines of reality.

I am not dickering with our contract agreement, just trying to wrap my head around this board foot system. I am very happy with the job my logger is doing, sorry that was put across in that manner, my apologies.

Just seems like a lot of tree there on the ground, and i was interested in the average dollar amount per tree. Looks like its  20 to 50 bucks now with the proper numbers plugged in.

Jeff

Thats a fairly common thing to have happen. Most people that have a timber harvest, usually only have one once in their lifetime, and there are a lot of things you just would not know. That's why we always recommend hiring a Forester to work for you on your behalf. THats what they do for a living, so they are paid to know the things you don't, and with that knowledge, they more often then not make you money you woul never realize with out them.

To get your DBH, measure the circumference at Breast Height, then divide by Pi to get your diameter. Use that figure to play in the toolbox. ;) :)

braucher

Thanks for the clarifications.

With the proper numbers plugged in the log value is in the 20-50 dollar range per log. This sounds more like it.

Believe me on the forester part of this.....he has been out to our place 3 times and unfortunately has not been real helpfull on the pine situation. He is fresh outta school and mabye lacking experience i guess. I have talked to enough locals and retired foresters, researched the internet to death and found that our logger was offering a fair price. The main thing he offered us that 3 previous loggers we had looking could NOT, was that he has a solid market for the logs.

Jeff

Quote from: braucher on July 12, 2010, 11:44:52 AM
Thanks for the clarifications

We do our best. :) 

Its a process for sure having a timber harvest, and educating yourself and leaning on those that know what you need to know is your best bet for a successful and satisfying outcome. :)

braucher

Yes.

Ya know when I stand in our newly clear cut area................i feel just like that spinning yellow head............

Jeff

Remember when standing in that clearcut, its not the end, its the beginning.

Thank You Sponsors!