iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Engine size question

Started by Kenny.jenkins, February 06, 2017, 03:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny.jenkins

I just bought a used LT 15 woodmizer saw mill. I haven't started using it yet, I'm still in the process of mounting it on a trailer. It has an 18 horse power engine on it. Is that big enough? Will a bigger engine make a difference?
Thanks , Kenny
Kenny

paul case

Probably will cut fine with 18 hp. If you want to cut faster, more hp will but it may or may not be worth the extra $ it costs you.

Welcome to the forum.  Where are you at and what do you have in mind to saw?
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Kenny!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

btulloh

I get by with 9.5 HP so 18 sounds pretty good.  More hp is always better, but love the one you're with.
HM126

barbender

18hp should cut quite nicely. I had a manual mill with a 13 hp Honda on it, and it cut fine.
Too many irons in the fire

samandothers

Kenny.jenkins

Thanks for the replies. I'm from west tennesse. I have a full time job but I can't sit still and always looking for something to do. As far as want I'm going to saw, I have 2 different friends that own pretty big sawmill operations. Both told me they are always having someone come to the mills wanting them to saw a few logs for them. Both have said they won't shut the mill down for a few logs and would send those people to me. Another question I was going to ask is what to charge for that type of work. Right now I'd rather charge by the board foot at least till I learn what I'm doing.
Thanks, Kenny
Kenny

ncsawyer

Kenny,

I ran a LT-40 manual many years with a 18HP briggs.  It did fine and cut several hundred thousand board feet of lumber over the period of time that my dad and later I ran it.  Your 18 HP mill should be able to cut anything you can get on it.  It will be a little slower on the big stuff, but will still saw out nice lumber. 

As far as price goes, I would start by asking what your two friends with the larger sawmills would charge per board foot to saw small jobs.  That will give you a good feel for what the market is in the area.

Here in eastern NC I see rates from $200/thousand to $350/thousand.  I think when my dad first got a Woodmizer in 1994, the going rate was around $100 to $120/thousand.  I am glad that has gone up!
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

jaygtree

i'm a hobby sawer with a 13 hp mill that saws just fine. when i'm cutting 1x12 i just cut slower.  jayg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Talk with Woodmizer if your set on a larger engine.
They know how much weight your mill will take when planning on upgrading.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

WM wouldn't put it on if it wouldn't work!  Make some sawdust first, then make some more, then some more, then go from there.  Wait til you have enough sawdust to fill 100 elephant ears, then you'll know
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

K-J,

Welcome to the FF.

The 18hp should saw well within its limits. What size logs do you expect to cut? What kind of support equipment do you have or have access to?

I like the idea of asking the mills what they charge as a starting point but remember you are sawing logs they rejected so I'd see nothing wrong with you asking for more since you are a "specialty sawyer". Before you make any decision you need to know what your operating costs are/will be then establish what you want to earn above expenses.

Many of us have flexible rates. BF for good straight, medium/good sized logs. Hourly rate for specialty sawing (Quartersawn, grade, beams, extra long, etc) and short, dirty, small or oversized logs that take more time with less yield. Another option is sawing on shares where you know/feel you can make more using/marketing your share (Hint: Dividing the logs - not the lumber gives you more flexibility). I know I have used all of these.

Good luck. Keep us informed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!