iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mater crop!

Started by hackberry jake, June 30, 2014, 10:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

All except for the grass, it's looking pretty good. Those are round pieces of cardboard around the plants. It keeps the weeds at bay in the root zone of the plant.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

r.man

What's a mater? This isn't a weight of the hen joke is it?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Dave Shepard

Just be careful you don't get any materhead hybrids in there. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 30, 2014, 10:22:25 PM
Just be careful you don't get any materhead hybrids in there. :D

:D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

That mater has never been exposed to a hybrid.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

those are looking great! do you can yours? we can and freeze lots. the wifey makes a wicked good salsa  ;D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

hackberry jake

We can mainly tomato juice. Nothin better in the winter than popping open a can of garden tomato juice! We
Make a pretty mean salsa as well!

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sandhills

My first crop froze, the second (mind you only about 6 plants) is still on my daughters trampoline  :-\.  Just not enough hours in the day anymore I guess, but yours look great.

drobertson

Nice looking rows there,  how long do the cardboard weed guards last?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ianab

I'd guess about as long as the tomato plant?  Which is fine. After that, dig them in as compost, and get more for next year?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

hackberry jake

Quote from: drobertson on July 01, 2014, 07:15:17 AM
Nice looking rows there,  how long do the cardboard weed guards last?
this is my first year trying them out. I'll keep you posted!

21incher

Some pics of my maters. This year I started my own GMO free heirloom tomatoes from seed ( 5 types). I started them to early and they were 3 ft tall when I put them in the garden. Well 5 weeks later here they are.

The stakes are all sticking out of the ground at least 6 feet and some of the plants have topped them.

There are 75 plants and they are all loaded with maters ( a couple hundred pounds of them already), but no ripe ones yet. Used (2 1/2) 500 foot rolls of string to tie them up the other day. I can't wait to try the black ones.

This year I also built a bunch of raised beds filled with compost and they are all doing quite well. It has been a great year for gardening. Next year that shelter will be turned into a greenhouse so my dining room is not filled with the plants I start early.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

21...that ain't nothing but top of the line there. I pat you on the back boy! Good job.  :)

hackberry jake

Those are some healthy looking plants. Any trouble getting between the rows?

ely

those rows look nice but you could not whip me down those rows with a stick..... about this time of year the copperheads get in the tomato plants to eat the grasshoppers.... and yours are too close for me.

21incher

Quote from: hackberry jake on July 01, 2014, 04:39:26 PM
Those are some healthy looking plants. Any trouble getting between the rows?
The rows are tight. I have never had plants this big before and only put the rows about 42 inches apart like I normally do so it is a squeeze with only about 12 inches of open space. Luckily there are no copperheads here, but the skunks love tomatoes. Normally if I purchased the plants they would only be about 18 inches tall by now. I think it is the 6 inches of grass clippings I mulched with this year that helped a lot by getting hot like a compost pile as it started decomposing, plus I was able to plant the plants over a foot deep in the soil because they were so tall.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

hackberry jake

I too have been guilty of starting plants too early indoors. The plants get real tall and spindly, but like you, I usually just plant them real deep. It helps the plant to develop a larger root system quicker. I have three rows of plants. One row I raised from seed, the next row I purchaced, and the third row is all from cutting suckers off of the other two rows and planting them. The row of plants I purchased was around $80. That's too expensive for little baby tomato plants!

clww

I've never seen so many tomato plants in a "garden"! :o
I think that qualifies for "FARM" tags. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ozarkgem

I envy all you guys with neat gardens. My place is where plants come to die. Kind of like the elephant grave yard. I got passed over on the gardening gene.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

21incher

Quote from: ozarkgem on July 01, 2014, 09:02:10 PM
I envy all you guys with neat gardens. My place is where plants come to die. Kind of like the elephant grave yard. I got passed over on the gardening gene.
We all start out with lots of dead plants. There are good years and bad years for gardens, but I no longer trust the quality of food that is purchased in a store with all the GMO plants used, Roundup that is absorbed into them, and contents grown in foreign lands so I started growing and preserving my own. Anyone can become successful at gardening. Just start out small and enjoy the fruits of your labor. :)

hackberry jake how do you get roots on the suckers for planting ? Sounds like a good idea I would like to try. :)

hackberry jake

I just cut off about a foot long sucker and then bury most of the sucker in the garden. Keep direct sun off of it for two or three days and keep it watered well and it will grow roots on its own. Those old red chicken house waterers are what I use to keep the sun off of them. Sometimes I just put the cage around it and cloths-pin pieces of old sheet to the top of the cage. Both methods work well.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Y'all know I can't spell but if you'ns need a produce sign to put out on the road....just hollar.
I'll be glad to help.   materhead

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

hackberry jake

Wheres the brakolee?

Thank You Sponsors!