iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not Timber Frame but a build question...

Started by SPD748, August 01, 2015, 07:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPD748

Hello all,

I'm currently designing a small building which will become a hobby Blacksmith's shop. It will be rough lumber construction (pole barn) with board and batten siding and a tin roof. There will be a concrete floor. The posts will be 8 by 8's with 2 by's stringers attached to the outside of each post to form the walls. My question is, can/should I insulate the space between the interior and exterior walls with rigid insulation (foam board) or will this cause issues (moisture, insects, etc)? I'm not really concerned with retaining heat in the winter, more so keeping heat out in the summer. The customer wants the "Timber Frame" look with exposed posts on the interior. Hopefully the picture will convey my meaning:

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

beenthere

I think you will be fine with that rigid foam between the B&B inside and outside.
It is basically what I did with my "pole/post" shed walls.

I would add the wind barrier under the outside B&B, but no need for a vapor barrier on the inside... that I see.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SPD748

Thanks for the reply. I guess some sort of Tyvek product will do for a wind barrier?

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Roger Nair

I would like to offer a caution on this technique of having wood siding in direct contact with foam board.  The problem I have seen is that the siding, especially on the southern side, will experience excessive curling.  The mechanism behind the curling is uneven drying during moisture cycling, with the backside in contact with plastic drying is retarded so the backside remains plump with moisture while the sunny side dries rapidly and therefore shrink.  The board curls and different stresses causes a compression set in the wood fiber.  As time goes by, the permanent set increases and the siding can get nasty.  In my way of thinking, the walls need to be furred out and the siding should be back-primed so all surfaces can exchange moisture at a similar rate.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

fishfighter

I would add slates to the outside wall in between the foam board. That way air can and will help keep the outside B&B help to dry.

Thank You Sponsors!