iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer DH4000 or Nyle L200 Automatic Vents

Started by DR_Buck, July 25, 2007, 10:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I just finished installing the Nyle automatic vents into my DH4000 kiln.   I've had some problems keeping the temperture from going way to high with this hot weather we have been having.   I'm hoping that the automatic vents will allow me a little more time away from the kiln while it is running.

My questions are related to setting the controls properly.   My vent kit came with a "Johnson Controls A419" series temperture control.   I have it set in the "cooling" mode and it will turn the fan on when the temperture goes some preset over what the control is programed for.

Does anyone else have this control?   If so, do you use the factory defaults for "differential" and "Anti-short Cycle Delay"?     If not what do you set them at?

How many degrees above your target kiln temperture do you set the vents to come on?   For example, if my current drying cycle calls for 110° F, do I set the vents to open at 113° or something higher or lower? 
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Raider

Dr. Buck; I just got the Auto. vents last eve. by Fed-Ex. Have not had much time to study them! ::) Hope to get our Klin, Nyle-200 up and running this week-end ::) ::). Will keep an eye on this post and see what you run into. :o :D  Raider

OneWithWood

Buck,
Did you need to make new openings in the kiln wall for the autos?
If I remember correctly one goes in close to ground level. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DR_Buck

OWW,

You use the same holes and even leave the pressure side (fan pressure) vent in place.  Just open it and then mount the louvers on the inside.   The powered side goes on the same side as the DH unit and when it turns on, draws air in through the static vent and out through the louvers mounted on the outside of the kiln box.

Raider

Morn'ing Buck; Got a question on placement of the power unit vent. Do you put the power fan on the inside of the kiln to blow out? or out side to blow in? There already is a hole in the front of the freezer box for the reefer unit, can I use that for both of vents, with the power unit on the DH side? If I blow in with the unit won't the exit vent also open when the DH fans are on?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Raider

DR_Buck

Justin L

I have the same controls- I just leave the differential set a 1deg. If I want the max temp to be 110, I set the control to 111. I set the anti short cycle to 5 minutes although it probably doen't matter on a motor like this- it's more for an a/c pump protection.

I have my intake vent completely closed at this point. The louvered vents aren't very tight when closed so they leak all the time. The airflow out the powered vent is reduced this way and does create a vacuum in the kiln, but lets enough air out at this point I'm OK with it. Come wintertime it will make it easier to build up temperature with the vent closed.

I've thought about running my vent on a wet bulb to help keep it drier with a wet load. I am running a load of H Maple green off the saw but I couldn't keep a large enough depression with out heating and venting at the same time early in the run. I had too much lumber(3700bf) for the two Nyle 150's to keep up. You remember better if you learn the hard way :)
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

MikeH

I have the dh4000(nyle200) and it has control already in it for power fan just hook up ground and run wire to #3 and #17 if you have the one with 4 switches on front. It works like a million bucks. No more rushing to get home or having wife open and close every day and that was this winter. Put in fans this spring and the temp stays right were you want it.

Thank You Sponsors!