iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood mizer sharpener setter

Started by logman 219, January 06, 2016, 08:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

I bought both the bmt250 setter and the bms250 cbn sharpener this past week. I probably won't be milling enough to pay for it on my own so I'll be offering sharpening services once I figure out what I'm doing. :)

starmac

I could probably do a little bit of sharpening bands for individuals, and can see it offsetting the cost of the equipment, But I have to wonder if it would justify the time it takes? It seems like it could easily cost a person to sharpen someone elses bands for what a guy could realistically charge to get their business.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Percy

Quote from: FloridaMike on February 24, 2017, 06:14:49 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 24, 2017, 03:03:07 PM
Did you consider the BMT200 Setter?I could not recommend getting one without gauges from my experience.

I did, but a BMS250 & BMT200 is $3,790.  The BMS250/BMT250 combo is $4,390 ($600 more).  A BMS250 & BMT150 is $3,090 ($700 less). 

To tell the truth, I have not ruled out getting the BMST50 and using a respirator while sharpening... taking the time to do all of the sharpening and tooth setting manually.
Im not a fan of that expensive oil that is used/recommended for the CBN sharpeners. I discovered a guy could use hydraulic oil insteadn when I ran out of the smelly stuff and a new pail was days away. I use  the lighter hydraulic oil(32) exclusivly now in my BMS250. You dont even have to put the hood down if you dont want. There is a bit of misting but you cant smell it even. CBN wheels seem to last as well as with the smelly expensive stuff ...Just my opinion....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

jimbarry

Bit the bullet and finally bought both the automatic sharpener and setter a couple weeks back. Good info in this thread. Has anyone looked into small filter systems for dealing with the airborne mist?

jimbarry

Learned overnight that putting in a little more than 2 inches of oil in the sharpener's pan is not the best idea for a mobile stand. Apparently it spilled out the back when I bumped into it on my way out of the shop. So I will be reducing the height of the dam, which by the way, is working nicely as catching debris.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!