iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone ever sawn a round hole with a bandsaw mill?

Started by LT40HDD51, February 01, 2007, 07:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT40HDD51

Lets see how long it takes someone to figure this sortofa riddle out...

How do you saw a round hole out with a bandsaw mill? I did it sawing today and have once before   ;D

Anyone else?  smiley_hourglass
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

onionman

I'e cut hundreds out on a bandsaw...not tried it on da mill yet ;)

LT40HDD51

Im talkin about being cut off of a log, done with the mill's blade... :)
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

beenthere

Show us a picture, so we know what you are talkin   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

I once had a guy stop by with a chunk of hollow log.  The OD was about 12 and the ID about 9.  He had tried to cut cross sections out of it on his table saw at home but could only cut into one side at a time and then turn and cut some more.  He had no way to match the cuts.  He asked if I thought I could slice it up on our mill.  I told him I'd try but the chunk was awful brittle.  We clamped it in the mill as gentle as we could and still not crush it.  I was able to go real slow and managed to make a couple of doughnuts.

I think I charged him $10.  He was real happy to pay.

This is not that project but another where I cut slices from a cedar log. But this is how it was clamped in the mill - except I wrapped the base in some sack or something to pad the clamp.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

limbrat

Has this got something to do with compression wood or tension?
ben

LT40HDD51

LT40HDD51

It was a trick question, kinda ;D I shoved too hard on a blade that was getting dull and it took a bad dive, along with cupping (side to side). Then I changed the blade and took another  1/2 inch off the log to straighten it up. Looks like the blade dove about an inch at the middle, so this left me with a round (or oval) hole in the scrap piece I took off  :D

Bibbyman

Quote from: LT40HDD51 on February 03, 2007, 10:37:52 AM
It was a trick question, kinda ;D I shoved too hard on a blade that was getting dull and it took a bad dive, along with cupping (side to side). Then I changed the blade and took another  1/2 inch off the log to straighten it up. Looks like the blade dove about an inch at the middle, so this left me with a round (or oval) hole in the scrap piece I took off  :D

Ah...  No..  I guess I've never done that.  Don't look like something you'd want to do, does it?  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

LT40HDD51

logwalker

Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!