iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

parbuckling

Started by board, March 14, 2014, 06:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

board

To parbuckel a log on the mill can I hook the chain to the mill or does that put to much strain on the frame ?  Its an ezboardwalk 40 and has 6 inch channel iron for the frame.
paul

kelLOGg

That sounds like plenty enough frame to parbuckle but I would like to see a pic of the angles involved. I assume the stationary end of the parbuckling cable is fixed to the mill frame and the end going to the winch is several feet higher than the frame. My frame is 3 x 6 x 3/16 and I parbuckle as I described.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

goose63

If the winch is high enough you wont hurt 6 inch chanel
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Ga Mtn Man

I dragged my TK 2000 sideways once parbuckling a massive oak log onto the loader arms using a winch mounted on the mill.  Moving the fixed attachment point to a tree on the other side of the mill solved the problem.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

board

I would be using a winch attached to the opposite side of the mill also the log turner for the ezboardwalk. Its about 5 ft. above the bed and the mill is about a foot off the ground, might raise the mill a little to save on my back.
paul

drobertson

I am thinking with some cables them logs will roll right on up without much strain on anything. I would say go a lil slow, and watch for the big end to gain on the smaller end, and get on with it.   Chains work great too, I just like the wire rope, for this type of work, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

kelLOGg

Quote from: board on March 14, 2014, 09:34:08 PM
I would be using a winch attached to the opposite side of the mill also the log turner for the ezboardwalk. Its about 5 ft. above the bed and the mill is about a foot off the ground

IMO, you won't have any problem.

My mill is 2' off the ground, winch is about 5' off the ground on a swinging mast and the tie point is ~3' off the ground, also on the mast; the mill will tilt when loading ~4000 pounders. Your tie point is much closer to the mill so you will be even better off. It would have been a better design if I moved my tie point closer to the mill. Didn't consider it til now.
Bob
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

justallan1

Remember, the higher the winch and the longer the ramps will reduce the pull greatly. My trailer is 3' high, my winch is 4' above that and my ramps are 8' long. I pull 16'x16-20" pine logs on it with a $40.00 Harbor Freight winch. Granted, on my set up I'm tying off on the trailer, but I really doubt it would be any different if I were pulling on the tracks.

Allan

Thank You Sponsors!