iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have any source for red cedar??????

Started by bikedude73, March 13, 2011, 10:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikedude73

We went to the 2011 Indy Flower and Patio show and talked to lots of landscapers that need sawmill cedar.  I was wanting to find out if there is a cost effictive way to help these guys out and help myself too.......

tyb525

I'm from Indiana also, there is zero red cedar around here besides a few humanly planted trees, but I'd love to find a good, fairly cheap source.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

bikedude73

I know there are none here I just was checking to see if anyone was trucking them in from other parts of the US

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Cedarman

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kansas

You can put a lot of ERC on a truck and move it in lumber form. Not so well with log form. Still surprised no one has set up a decent size cedar operation in Kansas.

Cedarman

There are over 10,000,000 acres of cedar in Oklahoma.  Most of it upland bushy cedar with not much in the way of sawlogs.  BUT, in amongs hardwoods and in the canyons there is about 2 to 3,000,000,000 board feet of good sawlog cedar.  It just keeps growing and growing.
Kansas has vast amounts of cedar.

It will take someone with the knowledge of the cedar market and 1/2 million dollars to set up a decent cedar mill operation.  There are a whole lot more people with the 1/2 million than the knowledge of the cedar industry, so that is the bottle neck.

Also there is a lot of cedar in the areas with sawmills keeping the markets filled.

If there was an Association dedicated to marketing cedar such as there is for pine and hardwoods,  might create a big increase in demand.

Right now a person could start a shaving mill and should be able to market all they can make.  It will take dedication and hard work, but it is doable.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

sandhills

Wish I was closer, but then again probably wouldn't be able to give you the size logs you would want, those are the ones growing in rows  ;).  The rest are just a weed around here anymore,what I've been doing in my spare time this winter.  Got some decent saw logs but mostly just posts.

My BIL and his kids have been clearing a fenceline on the same pasture this winter.

After they go by.

Something they found along the way that I thought was kinda neat.

That was a cedar that had a chinese elm growing around it, he cut off a couple feet of the stump, it was pretty cool but he took it before I could get pictures.

CX3

There is some darn good cedar around me also.  I walk past lots of cedar in the 15-20"dbh range that I could cut, but really no where to go with it right now.  There is a market here for the 54 inch blocks, but hauling is the problem.  You really cant get enough on to make it worthwhile, at least for me anyway.  Now if someone would buy some good sawlogs around here, I could be in business.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!