iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tower Logging

Started by tycoon139977, March 22, 2011, 09:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tycoon139977

I've been looking at this forum for about a week now, and i dont really see anything in here about tower logging, have i not looked hard enuf or do most of you just use skidders or shovels?
Berger M-3, Mini Madill 071, Madill 171, Thunderbird TY-90, Yoader

DanG

Most of the folks here are into tree logging. ;D   Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Keep looking around and you'll find that there are experts on every kind of logging you can imagine. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tycoon139977

all rite, you got me, how about how many people here use yarders to move the logs up the hill? ive done it since i was 18, its just the 20 or so pages ive waded so far seem to mainly about skidder logging, and it seems most of the stuff ive read about so far is about the east coast, and over here in washington and oregon, we got totally different ways of doing things.

chucker

" WELCOME" ty, to forestry forum.... yes you guys out there are kinda differant  from us normal flat landers in the midwest!! your always hopping around with one leg longer than the other when on flat ground you know! seems to us flat landers it would be hard to get around on them there mountains always going in one direction??  anyways "WELCOME FRIEND"...
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

tycoon139977

no, you go two directions, down the hill, then back up and yes, on flat ground most of us do hobble a bit but we aint on flat ground unless we is on the way home.

tycoon139977

ah, ok thanks, i aint that great with computers, thats the same reason i started logging, in fact....

Tom

You will find 10 years of logging information on here from loggers and logging company owners, as well as other trades.

tycoon139977

i know most of the different methods of tower logging, i also was wondering, how many people here have used a yarder to log, and wanted to here some experiences, and weither they liked it or not. I love it when im at home or on the way home, but usually when im at work, unless its a nice day, witch we git about 1 nice day every 6 months here, i cuss myself all day at work for choosing this profession, but none the less, when i hear that quit whistle and git my paycheck, i love it.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

captain_crunch

What is it you want know about Tower(Yarder) logging is it you want to know about heard tell of it a time or two :D :D :D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

tycoon139977

um, its what i do every day. i was just wonderin how many people on here have done it because most of what ive seen is skidder logging on here. i have worked under a tower for a little over 5 years now. i am currently working under a mini madill O71, i really hate them yarders cuz they aint got no tube and only got 4 guylines so your constantly riggin it up and riggin it down. but yea, i was just wonderin how many people on here have worked with a tower before and like what kind it was and where at, that kind of stuff.

Bobus2003

Only yarder i have seen in person is an old 8x8 Link belt crane, that has been modified.. It was used back in the late 90's in some of the steeper ground of the Blacks Hills SD.. Think "it" or one like it is still in use here

captain_crunch

My experiance comes from a Berger M-5 110 ft tube 1 3/8" skyline 11/8" main line and 7/8" haul back. on a good setting we pulled about 1/2 load of logs per turn as in 25-30 loads per day. Guess us old timers should have been on As* Men :D :D :D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

tycoon139977

i worked under a Berger i believe it was a M-3 it had a 90 ft tube 1 1/8th double swagged skyline, 7/8th double swagged skidline and 7/8th haulback, we also used a fairly good size bowman but i cant remember what size it was, but i do remember it was big enuf to drag our D-8 we was hangin on that we dug in a good 75 ft then across the road then another 50 ft then about 30 ft down the hill, it stopped on the first big tree it hit. that was my favorite tower to work under, those bergers have power, the engineer wuld shift that thing in first and all you wuld hear is pop pop pop of the chokers breakin.

Thank You Sponsors!