iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

J.A. Fay & Egan Planer (pics)

Started by Dave_, November 29, 2010, 10:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_

Here are some pics of one of my rainy year projects.  It is a 1920's vintage J.A. Fay & Egan No.7 Double Cylinder Endless Bed Surfacer.  It's square head and nasty looking, but someday will breathe back to life.  From the look of the knife setup, it looks like the last job she did was shiplap siding.

beenthere

Does look like a project.... for a rainy "year"   :D :D

Where do you start? What is the plan of attack?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customdave

Boy she's a stout & well built old jewel! Looks like a keeper good find, Have fun restoreing that ole girl....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Dave_

My plan is to get the kinks out of my Belsaw project and saw, saw, saw.  This spring/summer, I plan to start work on bringing a Corley #395 back to life.  Once I have the shed built over it, I will add a planer shed where I will land the beast.  I will restore it there.   

whiskers

That's a fine old machine, OSHA really loves um. I called Yates a while back about some parts for a similar unit. Their reply was a registered letter warning of the dangers associated with these things. They also require proof of inspection and approval before they would sell any parts. Appears that they still have some liability and want all these early machines recycled. Can't say that I blame them but one day I might have a go at it anyway.
You might want to consider a simple cover and a heavy coat of 50/50 dextron and diesel, particularly on the small threads, it'll save some time later. Good luck with yours, enjoy and keep the pictures coming.
many irons in the fire.........

Dave_

Yeah, square heads, no guards, open gears, no anti-kick fingers...what's not for OSHA to like :D

Good tip on the 50/50 mix.  Will do.

Magicman

Looks like you are an ongoing piece of work Dave.  It will be very interesting to follow your continuing progress.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ely

be sure and take the steel choker out of it before you run the first board thru. could be bad for the blades.

Ironwood

Looks ALOT like a "Happy Thought" Co. planer I parted out a few years ago at a steel mill here on the Monongahla River. That open cast outfeed (mine) is going to be a coffee table for someone someday, and the gears are going to be a kenetic sculpture. Have fun.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

beenthere

Quote from: whiskers on November 29, 2010, 11:46:42 PM
............ Appears that they still have some liability and want all these early machines recycled. Can't say that I blame them but one day I might have a go at it anyway..............

Quite unfortunately they do still have to fear being sued.

Oliver Machinery, MI lost a suit several years back when someone found a part of one radial saw in the scrap yard. Thought they could use the part in a jury-rigged sawing operation. The operator was injured and because Oliver's name was in the casting, they were blamed (made to pay) the lawsuit. Records tracked the part to several different owners before it was sold for scrap and someone pulled it out. Oliver paid dearly for casting their name proudly on their part.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

inwoodcutter

Endless bed planers are pretty rare. That is the first of that model I have seen. I have a Fay & Egan No. 7 endless bed. It does not have the matcher heads. Endless bed planers don't do the finest work but they can really push material through. The positive table drive makes a big difference.

Dan
Dan Warner
"there's money in that slab"

Dave_

As I recall, the No.7 is the single head little brother of No.24, yes?  Any pics and info would be greatly appreciated!

Dave_

Quote from: Magicman on November 30, 2010, 09:00:12 AM
Looks like you are an ongoing piece of work Dave. 

My wife tells me that on a regular basis :D

Dave_

Quote from: ely on November 30, 2010, 09:15:57 AM
be sure and take the steel choker out of it before you run the first board thru. could be bad for the blades.

Yeah, good call :D  We took the chokers out and used chains when we boomed it onto the truck.

metljakt

Ill bet it has poured babbit bearings.  Good luck

Dave_

Dave_

Quote from: metljakt on November 30, 2010, 12:31:57 PM
Ill bet it has poured babbit bearings.  Good luck

Oh yeah, babbit throughout

inwoodcutter

The main thing that makes the endless bed or lag bed planers different from others is the upkeep of the links in the feed and the ways on which they ride. They must bee kept oiled. Before running it check the height of each link from top to the bearing surface it rides on against the frame of the machine. That needs to be pretty consistent. Also check the ways of the lag bed for straightness. Pitting from rust won't hurt that as much as a dip from wear. The ways were often chilled (hardened) and ground.

Dan
Dan Warner

JV

Those old machines are real workhorses.  I picked up a Fay & Egan 156 Lightning planer 30" wide.  It was in use but in an unheated environment.  I want to strip it this winter.  Blamed thing must weight 2 tons. 
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

inwoodcutter

JV,

Funny, I know a gentleman just on the South side of Rochester, IN that also has a 156. Ironic that two of these would be still around and so close to each other. I have a feeling that F & E salesmen sold a lot of machines in this area. The 156 is a wedge bed design and would weigh around 4000 lbs.

Dan
Dan Warner

JV

Dan,
    This machine along with a 16" Oliver jointer came from the western part of the state.  But, yes, from the late 1800's to the 1950's there were a lot of "sawdust" factories around here including a farm equipment manufacturer around the turn of the century.  Sadly, a lot of the old machines ended up in the scrap pile.  A couple of years ago, the local basket factory sold a lot of old machines including a sawmill.  I  didn't go and was told that these machines sold for pennies to scrappers.   :(
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Dave_

Just a quick update.  I decided to sell this old girl.  I have mixed emotions, but have decided she needs to go to a better home.  Check out the for sale section if you are interested.

Thank You Sponsors!