iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"flatsaw" completely uterly barking mad idea?

Started by Satamax, July 24, 2012, 03:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

I see a lot of people making and trying to use chainsaw mills.

Has anybody tried to make a better chain?

I mean, i see that broken sawmill blade i have in the workshop, with big teeth, it's about 3 inch wide, with 3/4 gullets.  And i'm thinking, why not cut the blade perpendicular, before every tooth, drill holes and rivet that. I mean, this wouldn't be used on a chainsaw. But could a chain like this be made and hold?

Or am i completely bonkers?
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

beenthere

Satamax
Can you put up a pic or drawing?  I'm not able to interpret the description very well. Maybe others will do much better.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mark Wentzell

Do you  mean cutting the teeth off of a bandsaw mill blade and riveting them to a chainsaw chain?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Satamax

Well, i'm thinking about something like this.

No guide, two guiding sprockets, one at each end. Tensioned by a C frame. Electricaly powered. Like a chainsaw, but much bigger. Of course, there's simpler solutions. But, this would be fantastic for a small portable (ish) sawmill. Like the chainsaw sawmills you can see.  I'm thinking it a bit wide, like 3 inch, so it would be somewhat self guiding, for a thickness of around 3/16th.

Completely mad?
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

Jeff

Satamax

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Satamax

Well, i won't comment. But sometimes i feel not very welcome here.

mad murdock

Quote from: Satamax on July 24, 2012, 03:17:26 PM
Hi everybody.

I see a lot of people making and trying to use chainsaw mills.

Has anybody tried to make a better chain?

I mean, i see that broken sawmill blade i have in the workshop, with big teeth, it's about 3 inch wide, with 3/4 gullets.  And i'm thinking, why not cut the blade perpendicular, before every tooth, drill holes and rivet that. I mean, this wouldn't be used on a chainsaw. But could a chain like this be made and hold?

Or am i completely bonkers?
sounds a bit crazy, but if you could figure out a way to make a better, stronger thinner kerf chain style cutting saw, you would not have to worry about retirement.  I would think that if it were possible it'd have been done by now, but then again- you guys in france have a reputation for following after your own ideas.  I hope that you can figure some new fangled thina-a-majig out, i would be interested in knowing how it worked out. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Jeff

Quote from: Satamax on July 24, 2012, 05:52:12 PM
Well, i won't comment. But sometimes i feel not very welcome here.

You need to shelf that French sense of humor and embrace the Forestry Forum's.

Back to the question at hand, I agree with Tree Feller.  :)

wormy

looks interesting who knows that could be a million dollar ideal. but from the looks of that blade it sure would be a nightmare to sharpen!

Ron Wenrich

Seems like you're trying to reinvent the wheel.  What advantage does this design have over other blades?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

shelbycharger400

just happen to be jammin to the 80's... on pandora..
Quiet Riot,  Metal Health.       

well...that might be fitting for this project.    with that kinda hook, and thin construction.  Just might be inevetable .

Ill put in a few cents when I get a better understanding what method of powering you have,  but I say recipricating might work.   with a tooth at /  of more or less

If you seen what my home made rippin chain looked like the other day, no wonder i have had issues in the past, but it still cut, until dirt entered the picture and it decided to ride up. 
Lots of thinking for this picture page idea.
Thin kerf might be nice, but how will it hold up.  then alloys , ect . . .

Ironwood

Looks like the big brother to the "scrapper chains" on chainsaws hee in the US from 1947.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Kcwoodbutcher

If it would have to ride in some sort of guide bar, which I think it would, I see no advantage over chainsaw chain. The kerf would have to be a least as wide as the bar negating any advantage. That amount of kerf would put a tremendous strain on the blade.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Satamax

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on July 24, 2012, 09:42:10 PM
just happen to be jammin to the 80's... on pandora..
Quiet Riot,  Metal Health.       

well...that might be fitting for this project.    with that kinda hook, and thin construction.  Just might be inevetable .

Ill put in a few cents when I get a better understanding what method of powering you have,  but I say recipricating might work.   with a tooth at /  of more or less

If you seen what my home made rippin chain looked like the other day, no wonder i have had issues in the past, but it still cut, until dirt entered the picture and it decided to ride up. 
Lots of thinking for this picture page idea.
Thin kerf might be nice, but how will it hold up.  then alloys , ect . . .
Quote from: Kcwoodbutcher on July 24, 2012, 11:27:11 PM
If it would have to ride in some sort of guide bar, which I think it would, I see no advantage over chainsaw chain. The kerf would have to be a least as wide as the bar negating any advantage. That amount of kerf would put a tremendous strain on the blade.

Guys. I was thinking, the blade set up like on a chainsaw.  One flanged pinion at one end, the pinion part would act as any other one, transmiting power to the chain; may be it would be clever to do this on the pull side. The two flanges act as a guide. Then you imagine, instead of a guide, you have a frame, tubular or whatnot. Which holds this pinion, goes into a C shape. perpendicular to the plane of cutting, and goes to the other flanged pinion, which acts only as a guide and tensioner.   Check the protool timberframing bandsaw to see better what i have in mind.

The only advandage this has over a chainsaw, is greater gullet area, and over a bandsaw, it might be more portable. Blades could be stellite tipped too. 

Well, to the nay or doomsayers. Yes it might be dangerous, as any other piece of equipement. It might serve no purpose, then again,  a man wasn't meant to travel faster than a horse two hundred years ago! Etc.

Old Hilly

Hang on folks, let's think about this for a bit. :P
A chainsaw chain is shaped like it is so that it will cut a groove wider than the links that hold the chain together. If we made the links the cutting teeth on a band saw with a bit of set on them to give clearance and then had another tooth to clean out the center of the cut and also act as the drive tooth (like in a chainsaw chain) we might get somewhere.
Add to these teeth some Tungsten tips and we might get some decent life out of the chain, especially in our Australian hardwoods.
This bloke could be onto something here......

Ron Wenrich

I come back to what advantage do you get over a band or chain.  The cost to manufacture would be more, sharpening couldn't be done in the field, and you would only get a little less kerf than a circle or chain saw.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Migal

Dang I Knew someone would figure the curf of it out! but I liked his Idea now make those chain's for a price of a Circular blade and fast as a Band that fit's on 36" wheels  :P
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Satamax

Thank You Sponsors!