iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skunks and squirrels

Started by indiaxman1, October 14, 2010, 07:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimRB

Saw a TV documentary once about a couple who "rescued" wild skunks.  They were crazy about the things, and would let them run loose INSIDE their house.  They said (in a completely matter-of-fact kind of way) that once in a while a skunk would spray a wall or something, and that they would just clean it up as best they could.  I am not making this up. 

Tim

Ron Scott

A tough smell to live with. :D. One of my clients lost the use of one of their deer blinds this past season after a skunk took revenge on the blind for some reason. No one would hunt from the blind all season. :D
~Ron

SwampDonkey

I saw a wildlife show , Nature, I like it was. They were showing the life of the skunk. Had the camera pretty close to the stink hole sometimes. :D :D

I like skunks out in their element, but not as a pet or in the buildings. Petty animal and  good to clean up the lawn grubs, but that's where it ends. ;)

One winter we had one make it's home under the cement steps of the front door. He was almost all white. But, every thaw in the winter there was a strong skunk smell lingering in the air. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

northwoods1

I had a pet skunk when I was a kid. My dad found several young ones on the road the old one had been run over. Took one and got it de-scented they are kind of like a cat in there habits and they are intelligent make a good pet. Along with the skunk was a coon, possum, redtailed hawk ,grey owl, woodchuck, flying squirrels, 2 crows that learned to talk by themsleves mostly from hearing us kids hollering back and forth all the time. This was all before the day a person would get thrown in jail for having wildlife in captivity.

doctorb

Northwoods1 - I am jealous of your childhood
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

chain

From my old trapper days: the old trappers say when confronted with a threatening skunk is to talk softly to it. The skunk will soon 'let down his guard' and go off or if caught in cage will calm and allow you to cover the trap until disposal.

Another thing, a skunk cannot spray so long as his tail is down, some live-trappers now use a stove pipe or box to disallow the skunk from raising his tail when alarmed.

Finally, when shooting a skunk try to shoot in the heart area same as a deer behind-the-shoulder shot. This, they say, is better than a head shot. ???

Magicman

My Dad confronted a skunk under his carport once.  What did he do?  Hit it with his walking stick.   :o

I still giggle thinking about a nekkid 80+ year old man trying to get my Mom to finally let him into the house.

I think that she finally agreed to take tomato sauce and the garden hose and try to wash some of the stink off.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

How old does a skunk have to be before he can use his defensive weapon?  Newborn?  First year?  When is it no longer safe to pick-up a young skunk?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

It's a scent gland, so I would assume when ever a skunk matures. Red foxes and silver foxes will smell like skunk from their glands as well during the mating season. Not as strong, but my uncle used to raise them, and it was skunky around the pens at times. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sandhills

My old college roommate had a litter? if thats the right word, of babies from an old barn they tore down.  One of them sprayed his mom while she was trying to get them out of her garden, can't remember for sure how old they were but they weren't very big.  Oh and he didn't have the skunks after that :D.

treefarmer87

we used to have a bad problem with skunks, coons, and opossums. my mom raises guineas @ the farm, they used to try to get them @ night, so i would get in the truck with the spotlight and take care of em with the rem 700 VLS .204 ruger or Ruger laminate/stainless 10/22 international :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Troublermaker

I don't know if it will work or not but I though I throw it out there.

SKUNK SCENT REMOVER SHAMPOO: 32 ounces hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, 1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid. Mix ingredients together in large bottle with cap. Use as shampoo on pets, children and spouses. Rinse well.

trapper

My wife made me strip once before coming in to the house
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

ely

i seem to have the rsident expert on skunks residing at my house. he must know alot about them or like the smell. he has stunk like one for about 2 weeks, about the time it gets ok he hits another one.

the not so bright animal is half rat terrier and half airedale.

Woodcarver

Half rat terrier and half airedale.  Probably bright enough to know better but too terrier to resist.  :D

I had an airedale years ago. He would tackle anything, including, unfortunately, porcupines.  The first couple of times I was able to remove the quills.  The third time he was a real mess and I took him to the vet.  I commented to the vet "you would think he would learn".  The vets response was, "he has, he's learned to hate porcupines.  The third time was charmed. He never had a quill problem after that.  He did have more than one run in with a skunk, though.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

ely

he came in after the first skunk episode, with big holes tore into his back. coyote probably maybe just another dog.

he is larger than a rat terrier but not near as big as his airedale attitude.

clww

Quote from: doctorb on December 08, 2010, 05:54:44 PM
How old does a skunk have to be before he can use his defensive weapon?  Newborn?  First year?  When is it no longer safe to pick-up a young skunk?
I got sprayed by one that was about two months old! :o Worked at Boy Scout Camp years ago. We were moving tent platforms and there was a family of them under it. The platform got dropped in a panic, killing the mother skunk. Two of us went and rounded up the 4 little ones. I got sprayed by one. They ended up being fairly good semi-tame pets around camp. As long as the tail is held down they can't spray, and you hold their neck so they won't bite. As long as they don't feel threatened, they will not spray.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ely

well,.... its been a few days and the little black dog has done it again. phewwww cant stand to be around him now.

laffs

i  have a brotherinlaw says he uses douche on his dogs. mine always stayed out till the smell was gone
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Burlkraft

Quote from: trapper on March 08, 2011, 03:44:41 PM

My wife does that almost every day!  :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

I was thinking of you guys that got skunked when I saw the little skunk making his rounds in the yard in the rain this morning.  :D

beenthere

Quote from: Burlkraft on March 12, 2011, 07:38:03 AM
Quote from: trapper on March 08, 2011, 03:44:41 PM

My wife does that almost every day!  :D :D

Then what?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

trapper

Do you realy want to  know.   Jeff says this is a family site. :o
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!