Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

My sister called a lumber yard for poplar

S4S get this

3/4x2x14 foot $163 
3/4x3x14 foot $245
3/4x4x14 foot $326

Thats like $93 a BF  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
of course thats figuring it at 3/4 thickness and they are probably figuring the BF before milling but
still!!!

To quote a friend of mine
HOLY GUACAMOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody has got to be making a mistake. She called back but they had left for the day. I can't wait till tomorrrow to see what she finds out
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Burlkraft

WOW.That must be some DanG nice Poplar

It must be burl ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

isawlogs

3/4x2x14 foot $163  
3/4x3x14 foot $245
3/4x4x14 foot $326

Something is missing here  :P :P :P  Thats for how many peices  ???

If not I am going to the bush and cut some poplar . Well actualy I am going to cut some , but I was going to use it as flooring in the new house .

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Texas Ranger

I buy it down here for about $1.85 a bd ft, if they get that up there, wheres a good motel to stay while I deliver some really find poplar? 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Quartlow

Quote from: isawlogs on January 10, 2006, 05:41:45 PM

Something is missing here  :P :P :P  Thats for how many peices  ???

If not I am going to the bush and cut some poplar . Well actualy I am going to cut some , but I was going to use it as flooring in the new house .

I think it was the persons brain that gave her the prices!

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 10, 2006, 05:44:42 PM
I buy it down here for about $1.85 a bd ft, if they get that up there, wheres a good motel to stay while I deliver some really find poplar? 8)

I all ready got that angle covered, gonna truck it down from da buckeye and stay at my sisters
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

isawlogs

For that kind of money I can deliver from here and still make out OK .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Frank_Pender

I am getting $1.75, just this afternoon.  Now that will be kiln dried as well, with no surfacing.
Frank Pender

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

My guess....

Price for lineal foot (move the decimal point to left a couple of spaces).

The one REAL lumber yard here prices everything but framing lumber like that.

Brian
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

VA-Sawyer

Quartlow,

Did you get my PM? It won't be a problem bringing you some popular. Of course, if i want to be competitive with the local market, I'll have to raise my rates ....through the roof and then some!  My normal for YP is $1.25/ bf, I could probably do a better deal for a FF member on a one time sale deal.

I think WWW has a point about the pricing she was quoted.

VA-Sawyer

Phorester

From TRANGER:
"I buy it down here for about $1.85 a bd ft, if they get that up there, wheres a good motel to stay while I deliver some really find poplar?"

Shoot Don, just mail it to them first class postage and forget the trip yourself.  At those prices you could still make good money.

getoverit

Wait a minute here !!!!

Is this guy you're calling the same guy who had the $30,000 black walnut tree on e-bay that he wanted to sell as a live tree?  Remember him? The one standing a couple of inches from the end of a single wide trailer???

It's gotta be the same guy  :D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Ron Wenrich

Market value for FAS 4/4 poplar is in the $750 range.  That's green, rough, trailerload lots and a good quantity of longs.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bull

one sixty five a foot !!   retail lumber jargain....   
everyone need to know what they are asking and saying.... The real (Crop) doesn't have a clue..... It's all lineal to them and they don't even know what that means.....
Check the decimal "One dollar and sixty five cents" a foot sounds OK ??? 3/4x2x14 about $ 23.00 a stick a little much for my blood..   At 1.65 a BFD would be about $ 2.75 for the stick. that would be more like it.
GOOD LUCK !! ;)

Quartlow

Like I said she is gonna call them back this morning. I should know the real price by the time I come in for lunch  ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

The big box around here wants $3.60 bf.

Engineer

I'd be happy to sell you anything in my lumber pile, anything, for half that price.   :D  Heck, I'll even go down to $35 a board foot and deliver it too.

Quartlow

Ok the truth is revealed, the girl on the phone could't place decimal points
Now we have gone to the other end

3/4x2x14 foot $1.63
3/4x3x14 foot $2.45
3/4x4x14 foot $3.26

Thats more like it.
At least I'm nmot in sticker shock anymore  ;D ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Murf

Around here they always price it by the 100' feet, so if you called about 3/4x2x14 they would say $163

But that would be for 100' of it.   ;)

Sometimes the kid that answers the phone isn't all the sharpest tool in the store.  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

isawlogs

Quote from: Murf on January 11, 2006, 02:31:18 PM
Sometimes the kid that answers the phone isn't all the sharpest tool in the store. ::)

I usualy get the one with the broken lead to answer .  ::)

Marcel

Don P

Here's a retail price list from Raleigh, NC just for another comparison. They weren't the cheapest but usually had good stock and selection when I was there.

http://www.capitolcitylumber.com/hardwoods.cfm

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Quartlow,

I'm still confused, are those prices for the 14' board?

If so that is CHEEEEP for these parts.

Brian

Quartlow

Quote from: WeeksvilleWoodWorx on January 12, 2006, 12:13:52 AM
Quartlow,

I'm still confused, are those prices for the 14' board?

If so that is CHEEEEP for these parts.

Brian

Brian, I didn't talk to them, my sis did. Which means I may not know till I get there. Idid explain the differance between a BF a Linear foot, and she is smart enough to ask the right questions. According to what they told her that was per piece. If it is thats like what, .80 a BF ?  I think our lumber bubble just burst  :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Thank You Sponsors!