iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 372xp Original Edition vs. 372xp Current Edition "X-Torq" Saws.

Started by weimedog, February 25, 2018, 11:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

There's a few vids on you tube showing how it works basically it has a capacitor that collects the energy while running then when the start button is pushed it uses the magneto as a starter motor. It would only with efi engines the etec engine  starts on only a third of a revolution of the crank. Also you have to pull start the first start of the day or if the sled sits for over a half hour. My ski doo has the regular electric start as well I don't do enough extreme riding that I need the weight savings. But on a saw in the future who knows?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

knuckledragger

I've never held a x-torq in my hand, so I can't speak intelligently about it. However, my old XP is a real blue collar saw, durable and tenacious. I can't imagine the x-torq changing my opinion of the XP. At one time, if someone were to tell me you can have one saw and one saw only for the rest of your life I would have chosen my 044av. Now I'm not so sure. I may choose my 372xp. The x-torq would have a hard time convincing me otherwise, but I am looking forward to obtaining one from the grave yard so I can go through the saw.

HolmenTree

Knuckledragger, I totally agree the 044AV the one saw to own .
I owned both a 1989 044AV and a old edition 372XP which I just sold both of them a few weeks ago.
I hated to see the 044 go more then the 372. That 044 was a good fast compact saw. So simple to operate and work on.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

wild262

Quote from: Spike60 on March 12, 2018, 04:26:51 PM
I agree that cookie cutting is pretty silly, and proves practically nothing. Yet it's amazing how much weight people put in them. I also find myself in complete agreement with your earlier 272/372 post, so I've made an appointment with my doctor to make sure I'm OK. :D

Your tests are indeed interesting, and well done with lots of details, but I don't know about applying the word "official" on any of them. :)  Nothing all that official when comparing a single example of each saw. What happens, and has happened forever on these sites, is that guys tend to apply whatever happens on one such comparison to every single saw on the planet. That's another downside to the cookie racing. If X beats Y, then guys think every encounter has the same result.

Your test ended with the 261 being the clear winner, which is fine as that is the one you preferred, based on your experience with them. (not to mention the first 550 was a complete lemon) But it's a matter of your preference more than it is any measurement of test data.

At about the same time you were conducting your test, a large tree company near me bought 24 550's as they preferred them to the 261's they had tried. Does their opinion carry more weight than yours does, because they are a big company? No, I wouldn't say that at all. It's still just a matter of preference. The regional manager was up here last week. Lots of storm damage and he had 50 guys and 20 bucket trucks in the area. Came in for supplies and wanted to grab a few more 562's. In the conversation he says, "I'm not a big Stihl fan. I've always been a Husky guy." It's safe to assume that some of his 50 guys would rather run a Stihl, but the boss is a Husky guy and that's what he buys.

Most of us would have to confess to a little bias in our opinions, and I'm certainly guilty myself. Saw brands, truck brands, maybe even Skippy vs Jif. But these saws are all so good that the hair splitting hardly matters.

Very good post Spike.  You hit the nail on the head.  Sure wish I could explain myself like you do.  Wiemedog does to, but sometimes takes "the long way around the barn" :D                 You can 2 NEW identical saws, same mix, tune, B&C, same 10x10 wood, and have a fast one and a slower one.  Even experienced this with newly "broken in" saws.  So what gives!  But nevertheless, I've done it, and still do on occasion, just for fun, but not to prove anything really.         Thanks to this video and others, I completed a successful build on a X-torq.  Had the ceramic bearings as I suspected.  Many thanks to all.

Spike60

wild262, I hope Walt catches that "long way round the barn" post!  :D  I think sometimes the only thing that gets us to stop talking is when the battery in the camera runs out.

And you add a VERY good point to the discussion: If you compare 2 identical saws, one will likely beat the other. So what conclusion do you draw then? Many pro guys will own several examples of the same model saw throughout it's production run, which is often 15-20 years. Most will say that one of them was the best of the bunch, or that one of them wasn't as good as the rest.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

weimedog

I did , its funny...:) The video I just posted could literally be.. a posting "cool saw" and a picture..:)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Grandpa

I agree, cutting cookies has nothing to do with cutting in the real world, but a lot of guys make a big deal out of it.

Walt may "take the long way around the barn", but there is a lot of information in his ramblings. He and Spike make a good team with their different approaches.

Also, Walt, if you see this, a while back you made a video called bars, cut locations and different worlds. That was probably the best saw related video I have ever seen. I didn't comment on the video but should have. Thanks.

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

wild262

Hea Walt,  Just want you to know I wasn't making fun of you when I said that about "around the barn bit".   ;)  I don't want you to change a thing with regards to your video making.  Your very complete and you cover every angle.  Yes, you and Bob make a very good team.  So don't stop what your doing, and on behalf of myself and many others on these chainsaw sites, WE DO appreciate the time, and efforts you guys put forth in making all these for our enjoyment and education.   I can't wait to see your next one  thumbs-up.

mike_belben

I hope i didnt ruffle any feathers mentioning cookies.. Im too new to know who each of you are and what yall're up to.  Im not sure which videos are being discussed.  

Cookie cutting would be a fine test if we could control for temp and humidity and knots.  Its a poor mans dyno.  I like hotrodding saws for the sake of hotrodding but i dont think it really puts much more wood on the trailer for most of us.  I like a quick saw but if i finish a cut 3 seconds faster i just look around and pick my nose for 5 extra seconds anyway. 
Praise The Lord

Grandpa

HolmenTree

I made 3 cookie cutting videos a few years ago and the first and last I ever made.
Only for demonstration minus the stop watch. But I did have consistent wood (except for 1 long knot).
But to prove anything with the stop watch you need everything including saws, bars, chains shown being changed over for the test throughout the video.
Here's my attempt demonstrating a 7 tooth small bore .325 rim sprocket and Stihl 23RS chain on my Husqvarna 562XP.

2012 Husqvarna stock 562xp with 325 chain - YouTube
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

XP_Slinger

That's a good question but it can only be answered in time.  Personally, I think the AT systems are going to be pretty dang reliable.  While AT may complicate DIY trouble shooters like many of us here, it simplifies day to day operation and provides truth data for how the engine is running when servicing is needed by a dealer.  I'm excited to see how the 572 does in the long run, a lot of lessons learned from the 562 were applied to the 572.  Im also very happy they built the bottom end so tough.  6203 bearings and a full circle crank, mama husky pulled out the stops on that one.  The carb vs AT discussion reminds me of when fuel injection was introduced on vehicles in the 80's.  Many scoffed at the new tech not willing to give up their carbs.  And now the fuel injected auto industry is producing muscle cars that would make a big block chevelle from the 60's tuck tail and run.   Saws are in the throttle body injection stage but port injection is rapidly approaching with the 500i.  Exciting times.
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

XP_Slinger

Oops, sorry fellers.  Apparently I didn't refresh the page before responding
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

knuckledragger

I came into this world 1960 on a U.S.M.C. base hospital in North Carolina. Impressionable young man in the late '60s early '70s. Muscle car years. I was one that didn't care for throttle body or electronic ignitions. I was wrong because I wasn't educated. The point is, electronic ignition and fuel injection are the best thing that could've happened to anyone purchasing a vehicle. I suspect one will be able to say similar things bout chainsaws in the very near future.

O.R.Birr

I've been curious about this too.  I bought the Hulzfforma version of the 372XP X-Torque only because the XP version was sold out.  It broke down so much I named it The Incredible Holtz. Now the crank went out after a year so I decided to tear it down and study it.  This gen XT saw uses a divider in the intake to seperate fuel rich air from leaner air.  The leaner air in theory goes into an upper intake port in the head (unless you're holding the saw on it's side). This air is used to push out exhaust fumes after combustion.  The piston has recesses in it that work with ports in the block like a valve.  The heavier air goes into the crankcase as usual to lubricate the bearings.  The new 572XP X-Torque's look pretty much the same, except they use a seperate intake port with fresh air for the top port, bypassing the carb altogether making it lower in emmissions (I read 20% from previous models on a website).  It also has a different crankshaft.  There are other differences I'm sure, but these are the main ones.  I would like to try the new 572 X-Torque just for the reason that I have mild asthma from time to time and I feel pretty crummy after using a saw for more than 4 hours. Not to mention the new saw gets 0.4 hp more. Supposed to run cooler too from all the air channels cast into the block.  They must be a pain to cast and machine because of this.  Must be why I don't see much aftermarket rebuild cylinders for these.

Sprinter

This may be way off topic But, after 50 years of electrical/electronic industrial experience
I have come to realize that if your new gadget gets through threw startup it's probably okay.
If it gets through the shift it is good. At some point you will wonder how you lived without.
And you will never look back.
Any of you ever tried using the Model A spark advance? Or mechanical brakes?
As for saws, my 562 has been pronounced dead by at least 3 mechanics but it still fills
my woodshed. Thanks to my hard head.
Feel fee to call me hard headed but I don't give in easy,

weimedog

Not to be a wet blanket but some dissection's and clarification's might be welcome :) SO many assumptions made with the concept that because a Huztl had an issue, the OEM design it was copied from will as well. That is so far off, I don't even know where to begin. I think the first thing is you have to disconnect any relationship between how any of the Huztl 372's run and their Husqvarna originals.

To the Huztl 372 class saws first:

They are clones and come from two completely different sources. The g372 is from one and the g372xp and g372xt another. Of those three, the g372 had come in the best configuration and with a few tweaks could be made to work. The XT was the worst. Both the XP and XT have a "squarish" handle that is no where near as nice as the g372's and certainly not as nice as the OEM. My g372xt's was so bad I eventually threw it in the trash and put a used 372 OEM handle on it. The two problems with those squared handles from a functional perspective had to do with the internal throttle parts sticking and not allowing the saw to get to idle and the antivib springs not being as stiff or even the right length. That had NOTHING to do with the Husqvarna original design or X-torq as a concept. Had everything to do with a lousy copy and manufacturing.

Also with the g372, the intake "spigot" casting was a little long creating a fit issue that really was pretty easy to file off and solve. Also the rubber parts were typical Chinese and needed to be replaced with OEM PDQ.  And there were little things like the bar oil slot that were off slightly but in general the kit or the g372 could be whipped into a running saw.

Both the g372xp and xt were harder to get running right and I did video's of that and not interested in rehashing it in typed posting. Especially the g372xt, I ended up replacing the handle assembly with OEM, ignition and carb. Also gutted the intake port, boot, and filter holder. It runs well now but I just got sick of all it's junk parts to the point I lost interest in anything from that source....end stop period. Those g372xp & xt clones were poorly done. Especially when you contrast those two against clones like the first g372, the Joncutter 5800, and the g660 which are scary how well they are done. Especially the 660 and g5800.

Now to the OEM 372xp "X-Torq" to OEM 572 analogy. They are completely different designs as well. The 572 is a product of experience with both X-torq designs and Autotunes. The early 372's had issues, not going to start an argument with my best bud but they did. Husqvarna worked them out and the current offerings of the last couple of years are much better to the point I haven't seen any come in built later than 2017 other than skidder crush, so they are solid now as well. The 572 has A much more mature design with focus on durability. Starting with larger main bearings than a 372 to well thought out heat management they really nailed it with a focus on durability vs. spec "sheep" marketing with simply weight & hp "ratings". The 572 is in another class to the point I don't get why anyone would consider the 372 XT in the same price class over a 572. Wish those XT's would just slide off into history gracefully and leave us with the memories clouded with the good stuff brought into the saw world with the Original edition 372's :) Just my opinion, others will have a different view I'm sure.

weimedog

weimedog

Holzfforma g372xt trials and tribulations along with what the channel's , mission last year relative to X-Torq's....funny looking back because part of the results of that focus on 372XT has driven me BACK to old metal saws! 

Holzfforma g372xt "Modded", The Beginning & A Channel Focus Review For First Time Viewers - YouTube

Firewoodjoe

I just took a xtorque out of the box today. I'm quite happy with it compared to the earlier versions I've tried. I was against them until I looked at this one for a year then tried it. It's a 2019. And how is that 572 to fix on the tail gate?

weimedog

372's of any variety are among the easiest to work on saw designs ever ( Also the X-torq's are easiest to mod as well as a side note )....have to give them that! Haven't seen many of the newer ones other than simple maintenance things as they are now proving to be solid saws. I haven't had to do anything other than clean air filters and change chain/sprockets on the 572's either so honestly don't know how hard it is to tear them down. I guess eventually I'll find out if I still working on saws when they get to the end of their service life. But that's the point....not just me but what I have heard is they are solid and rarely have issues. One thing is for certain, it's easy to plug them into CST and the information available is useful both to the user and mechanic. Plug in right up on top....takes a minute to get there and find out how that saw is both running and what it's life is really like. Can't get any of that kind of information from any 372.

Firewoodjoe

I can't get any kind of plug in on my tailgate either lol  i dont take my saws to a mechanic. Time is money and well money is money. I like keeping it not paying someone. And the dealer is not close by. I have many 71/72xps still in service. Other than some minor stripped holes it can generally all be fixed. I just don't see how a saw that is more money to buy and more money to get repaired will make me more money. I really hope they don't every stop making the 372. And just Incase I keep buying them whenever I can. Just from my point of view I guess. 

weimedog

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on December 08, 2020, 07:40:36 PM
I can't get any kind of plug in on my tailgate either lol  i dont take my saws to a mechanic. I really hope they don't every stop making the 372. And just Incase I keep buying them whenever I can. Just from my point of view I guess.
I get that, and the other guys who really like the 372's XT's are the ones who like to grind on cylinders. Transfer caps and the simple 372 layout make them a winner there & they can be tweaked to RUN.

As to the tail gate thing.....I'm not seeing what you would expect to have to do on a 572 that is easier on a 372, you will never have to tweak the carbs.... both need the filters changed , bar sprocket and chain swapped around. WHAT would u expect to have to do on the tail gate on a 372 u couldn't do with a 572? I can rip a 372 down to bearings and build it back up as fast as anyone, but would not likely do that on a tail gate. The ONLY thing I can see is parts swapping ignitions, cylinders and carbs from a junk pile parts saw ... and even then a "used" flashed carb and ignition from a parts saw 572 ( When they begin to wear out )doesn't need to be done at the dealer. And the firmware on those 572's has been stable for a while now....no need for that.

Intake boots, throttle cables, Fuel lines, filters, parts swapping...handles / plastic....what? :)

And in the actions speak louder than words column, my main saws are a Jonsered 2175 ( 2171 with an 51.4 xpw top end ) and a tweaked 2165 48mm Original Edition, not an X-torq saw. Both derivatives of 372's....and I have a 572 as well. I just LIKE the Original Edition 372 based Jonsered better. Simple as that. Another "subjective" opinion. But can't argue they are technically better to live with than a 572.

Firewoodjoe

Well I will admit I've never worked on one. But you said plug in. Can you swap parts without retuning? And as far as what I fix on the tail gate. Everything. What's the difference between a tail gate and a work bench? I'm in the woods all day. The tail gate is my work bench. Then when I come home I generally back up to the shop and work on the tail gate anyways. My point is at some point you need that plug in right? Do they need retuned after break in? After a accident hit smashed and you have to swap parts? When it needs a rebuild? I don't know. Maybe they are simple. 

Thank You Sponsors!