iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking For Advice On Some Small Log jobs.

Started by Komatsu_Mech1, December 10, 2013, 09:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Komatsu_Mech1

I am trying to find some small side jobs logging and am wondering if anyone would share some knowledge on finding the work. I got a 50hp Kubota with most of the needed attachments I use for my own fire wood and saw logs. During the summer I can usually find brush hogging and rototilling jobs pretty easy, but the winter months have gotten kind of slow. I have been trying craigslist and the old word of mouth but striking out pretty good with them. If anyone out there has done or dose this same small scale stuff for cash and has any info they would share it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Maine logger88

If I have trouble finding stumpage too buy I always just start knocking on doors of landowners tell them my name and what I do and ask if they would like to sell any wood it has worked for me a few times
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Maine372

ask a big time outfit if they have turned down any jobs becuase they were too small. make yourself known to the foresters in your area, private and state.

luvmexfood

You might also check with the log yards around. I know they called me one day because someone was their looking for someone to cut a small job that no one else wanted because of the small job.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

shortlogger

I just ask people who have smaller tracts of wood that a big crew may not cut , I have also had  good luck working in front of a dozer that was going  to clear trees to make pasture , often trees will just get pushed and burned
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

CX3

When I run short of timber I have some really nice vinyl signs that I hang at good country road crossings.  You will go look at lots of junk but sooner or later one will hit.  Next thing you know every neighbor around will have you cutting timber.  When I started I also just made darn sure everyone I know knew that I was logging.  You'd be surprised at who your neighbor talks to or the guys at the coffee shop.  It doesnt take long to get busy if you're honest and do excellent work.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

g_man

I would definately let your county foresters know that you are looking for small jobs. They will not directly come out and tell a land owner to hire you they generally give the landowner a list of guys. But if you're the only one looking for small jobs and you have a good rep then they will help the landowner find you. If you can do what is considered "low impact logging" or habitat improvement work, that would be a plus for many small lot land owners who have foresters. So get to know the foresters in your area also.

Komatsu_Mech1

Well that is a lot to take in, thanks to everyone for the replies and the great idea's. I do work on equipment for some of the larger logging outfits around occasionally and might be a good lead into finding some small jobs they wouldn't want. Guess I could also get a hold of the county forester and see where that would go. Well with only one weekend left to deer hunt guess I need to get serious about this and jump in and learn.

Thank you guys again for the help.

thecfarm

I have no idea about your day job? I was asked a few times about loggers at my day job. People knew that I cut wood and owned a sawmill and I was the ones that some would ask for help. Put up a flyer at hardware stores. I don't know of any small time logger now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

celliott

Maybe try going to the town clerks office, looking at the tax maps to see who owns land in the area, and then contact them. Might find some chunks of land you didn't know people owned locally.
Put the word out on craigslist, newspaper, etc. etc.

Where in Central VT are you located?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Thank You Sponsors!