iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hiding in plain site.

Started by Jeff, August 06, 2018, 11:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I think the swampdonkey on a clandestine and covert mission, planted a tree on my place when he was here. 
As far as I know there isn't any others like it in this entire county so I have no idea how it could of got here otherwise.

I didnt notice the tree first, but the Robin that kept flashing across my south polebarn window. I looked out there, and there was the nest, at the time, full.of big fat ready to leave chicks. Cool! Right at the window where I could watch.
Then I noticed the tree.  A walnut? We dont have many walnuts in this county, but there are some, mostly in towns. I knew there was one a quarter mile down the road, so figured this was what it was and that I would have WDH look at it in a couple days when he was here for the pigroast. 

Well, he did Danny positively identified it as a Butternut!. Well developed terminal leaf and chambered pith.

I'm thrilled! And I still think the donk did it!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

About how many years ago do you think it was planted to be that large now?  :o
Say when

Jeff

Well, I know that trees I have planted in the past here don't do much more than but put roots down for about 6 yearsm then they take off. I have a mountain ash that has been putting on 6 to 8 feet a year since it started growing up instead of down. This tree is probably somewhere between 12 and 16 feet with a diameter of about 2.5 - 3 inches.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Sneaky guy,I see. I have 3 on my land,trying to get some more going. And one elm tree.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

:D :D I sent some his way in the mail back in 2011. He planted some up at the cabin and I'm thinking one or two nuts followed him home. That's my story. ;D :D

Nice tree though. They will grow in maple forest up here, so I'm sure the oaks won't hold him back. The maple ridge here on the back of the farm had and still has butternut throughout. Do a gene test to see if it is from NB, they do have a distinct signature and is being studied for canker resistance. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!