iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

will opossums and raccoons ever stop coming?

Started by Compensation, October 13, 2015, 02:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Compensation

I have lost 16 chickens from August to the first week of September. I've seen everything from coons in the coop to opossums dragging one by the neck (I saved her). So after my meltdown I started doing some hunting. I got 5 opossums and 12 raccoons, all within shooting distance from my coops. Only 3 of the 17 were not caught trying to get into the chickens. Will this ever slow down? I'm good with once a month seeing one around the coop but it's every night and 12 of the 16 chickens were hens that I need right now.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Farmerjw

Well, as long as they earn a meal, they'll keep coming.  If your chickens are free ranging, then closing the coop at night will stop them during the nighttime.  If they are in a pen, places allowing the critters to gain access need to be fixed. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Compensation

Well I have 2 coops, one is a steel 10x12 I just built. And the other is wood attached to the side of my solar kiln and is hooked up to a chain link fence run covered and wrapped in coop wire. They've got in through a washout in the run, wedged between fence and top covering of coop wire. They've gotten under the kiln and thought the plywood cracks around the kiln and into the run. Climbed up a 2x4 that gave them access into the steel coop (took out 5 before I figured that one out). I just can't believe how many there are. I keep figuring out how they get in and they keep inventing ways in. Does anyone want the coon hides?
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

WV Sawmiller

Compensation,

I caught a few last tear in my barn and around my deer feeders. The possums were never worth skinning so I'd relocate them. I'd have preferred to relocate them to a nice subdivision but my wife insisted I release them in more remote wooded areas (of which we have plenty close by). The coons I'd skin and sell 2 years ago but last year they weren't worth skinning so I'd just relocate them too. I always case the hides and it is not hard nor does it take long to shuck one out of his hide.

I'd check with local hide buyers but I'm hearing rumors poor prices this year too. I'll check in a day or two as I have a couple of deer hides to sell. (Not worth much but you have to remove the hides to get to the meat so may as well let someone use it).

Good luck and keep on trapping.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Gearbox

I had Raccoons in our bird feeders . So I hooked a 12 volt fencer to the pole no more coons . I think a fence around the coop about 6 inches off the ground . Put up a trail cam and get video to show us Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Chuck White

Lock the chickens in the coop at night, and don't run out of shells!

The electric fence is a good idea too!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GAB

For the ones that get to the party late you might want to try some chemical warfare.  Golden malarin (sp) and good old Mountain Dew.  A dab of tuna fish for cats might help as an attractant.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

fishpharmer

Poison is risky business that can get one in big trouble.  The electric fence will work. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

gfadvm

Our dogs keep the varmits run off around here.

Compensation

Well I have a 12v fence charger hooked up to 5 solar panels and 3 boat batteries on the solar kiln. I had to take the fence down because they free range and get caught in it. I know one day I will forget and leave it on and I don't want to kill my favorite chicken on accident. This charger all ready killed a turtle. They always get locked up at night and I really would like to put up electric fence but I will be fixing it everyday. The poison is a good one I was told. I have caught two of her four cats in live traps already. And just guessing she might want to keep those around. Anyways, I guess I could loop a huge "U" shape of electric fence where I know they don't go.

So do these 2 pests keep coming? I thought I would thin them out but there seems to be no end in sight.

WV Sawmiller

Comp,

If you are catching your neighbors cats and are kind hearted but want to keep them away you might try shaving one side or one end or dye them pink or blue with food coloring then release them. At least the neighbor will know their cat has been somewhere it should not have been.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

I have 12 city chickens and constantly fight critters. It's amazing how many possums and coons live around here.

A post hole digger and a dirt nap ensures they do not return.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

I had to laugh thinking about a dyed half shaved cat.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terry f

beenthere

If you go the poison route, don't tell anyone about it.. however, it is very effective and there is no messy blood to clean up after a shot or three to displace them. Just a body laying within a few feet of the poison that is easy to toss in the garbage for pickup.
If drowning them in a trap was possible for me, I'd do that even though it takes constant vigil to remember to check the traps. A trapped coon can pack in a good pile of debris laced with urine and scat in very short order.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Poison scares me that my little dog might get to it somehow.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Banjo picker

If you want to catch them and dispose of them, get you some coon cuffs.  Put a large marshmellow down in the bottom under the trigger, an then lay one right on the top.  The coon will take the one on top and then have to have the one on the bottom, and when he pulls it up, it snaps on his leg.  They will not catch a dog or a cat.  I would put you a picture on here, but some would be offended.  Look up coon cuff.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

sandsawmill14

last year my neighbor caught 28 :o coons out of his sweetcorn patch he said he only got about 100 ears out of a 1/4 acre patch :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

gspren

Quote from: Banjo picker on October 14, 2015, 05:34:54 PM
If you want to catch them and dispose of them, get you some coon cuffs.  Put a large marshmellow down in the bottom under the trigger, an then lay one right on the top.  The coon will take the one on top and then have to have the one on the bottom, and when he pulls it up, it snaps on his leg.  They will not catch a dog or a cat.  I would put you a picture on here, but some would be offended.  Look up coon cuff.  Banjo

While being mostly dog proof I believe they will catch cats.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WV Sawmiller

Comp,

Sold some deer hides to my hide buyer today and he said don't even bother trapping or skinning them this year as the fur house he uses has over 1 million coon hides they can't get rid of from past years.

You might see if you can develop a market for Davy Crockett hats (every kid needs one) and unload them that way.
Howard Green

wildbill

Our Chiweenies notify us of critters near the coop that shouldnt be there. 

by the time im out the door the unwanted critter has been run off or is stuck in a tree with three Chihuahua/Dachshund being braver than they should be below. 
Raider Bill's favorite son

Texas Ranger

I run an urban catline to remove feral cats, my most  recent visitor has been three possums, maybe just one that doesn't learn.  I generally speak sternly to them and admonish them to go forth and sin no more, they give them their walking papers.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Banjo picker

I hate to kill opossums,as they are tick eating machines.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Texas Ranger

I have a rule never to kill anything with fingers.  May be a reincarnated kin. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!