iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cat 525B vs. TJ 450C

Started by labradorguy, January 25, 2019, 09:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

labradorguy

Looking at a couple skidders. Anybody have any thoughts??

1. 1994 Timberjack 450C converted to cable- Has a 2004 engine in it 4500 hours showing but owner says probably not accurate, very tight. Backup machine for 10 years. When bought- new pins, bushings, cradle pins, cylinders rebuilt, brakes, etc... <1000 hr on it since bought. Deere winch. 30K

2. 2001 525B dual arch- everything running, new hydraulic pump from Cat. 11,000 hr Michigan Cat rebuilt tranny. New starter, fuel pump in August 13,000hr on it now. Solid machine. 37.5K

Pics are uploaded to my album.

Doing selective hardwood logging. No clear cuts.

BargeMonkey

I cant see any pictures.... 😂

The cat is newer, nicer, fancier. does it have a winch ? Esco or the newer style ?
A 450C Jack is a tough machine, I had a dual arch/ winch and it would go. I know the parts are easier for the jack. What size tires on both machines ? 

kiko

This is my 525b. Single function grapple. Since this picture I have added a wider blade off a 545c and a newer grapple with hollow tongs It is my second favorite model next to a 525c.  Most every part on the Cat is Cat specific . The B is more difficult to service and repair than TJ450c .IMO the 450c was one of the best skidders ever made. It is a component machine and parts are available aftermarket in a lot of cases.  TJ , cummins 5.9 , Clark 3200 Trans mission , Eaton axles.   525 3126 Engine ( special tooling).  Neither is cheap to repair. 

labradorguy

I'm not very good with pics. I thought anyone could see em.

I gotta say, I like getting parts at Napa A LOT more than I like getting them at Cat. lol

BargeMonkey

That 450C might be worth that because you've got some history on it, I didnt jump fast enough on a nice one down here and that went for 23k with chains / fenders/ doors. 23.1 rubber looks good. 
 The Cats on 24.5 which is a nice tire, not wide but stable. Once you go dual arch grapple you dont go back. 

Skeans1

How much is production worth to you? Having to get our set turns all the time even hand falling gets old real fast.

kiko

That 525b has an esco grapple, can't see which kind basket or sorting. It does not have the grapple rotator in the boom

Skeans1

Quote from: kiko on January 26, 2019, 08:46:16 AM
That 525b has an esco grapple, can't see which kind basket or sorting. It does not have the grapple rotator in the boom
It'd be the bunching, a sorting you can't set down that far. The rotator is always on the grapple even on a swinging grapple setup.

labradorguy

I'm leaning towards the jack but I have invitations to go run them all I want so I'm keeping an open mind.

kiko

With the cat grapple, the rotator is in the boom, no hoses to tangle up and 360 rotation.

kiko

This a Cat transmission repair looks like, no pictures and TJ transmission job looks about the same.

Riwaka

Caterpillar's 4th quarter earnings should be out soonish.
https://www.caterpillar.com/en/investors/quarterly-results.html

Look to see you can add a hydraulic 'loading winch' (maybe with remote) to the timberjack, give it a dual winch capability like the euro skidders. 

or  measure up the dimensions of the rear of the TJ  with a tape measure to see if can fit a reliable smaller single function grapple (from the parts yard -cat, etc) , back on to the TJ.

Skeans1

One thing to remember cat will be selling the wheel skidder line off here soon as well so part could be an issue for either machine down the road.

Riwaka

From the press release - a person might assume that Weiler gets the former cat parts warehouse and the manufacturing rights to the old cat parts. (though less risky to wait and see if there is a definitive answer on the old  legacy parts)
Their press release also states weiler is keen to build new machines and more models. One might expect the initial focus to be getting new skidders etc out the factory door with their name on the side.

Weiler Forestry - Home (what might happen)early 2019 for final signoff?

TJ - probably keep most things going with parts book and service/ workshop repair manuals. (and a supply of parts or ability to make repro parts with modern tools, and good electrical/ hydraulic support)

Probably fantasy land, 610e, a few appear to be hibernating in dealers' yards. 
Tigercat 610E with grapple/ winch -big downside is price, complexity , upside-factory warranty, new wiring, nice cab, turn around seat, new tires, current emission standard engine, new frame, new hydraulics.
Tigercat 610E skidder - YouTube

labradorguy

Definitely fantasyland. Price is insane. I sure wish someone out there would build a skidder that a working man could afford. I don't need stereos, a/c, fancy seats, DEF tanks, or all the computerized baloney. Frame, wheels, engine, winch, and a seat behind some metal would suit me just fine.

I'm like most everyone else here and stuck looking at the old beat up ones. Cuba has their cars; we have our old skidders. lol

Skeans1

You guys do need to remember the guys that the manufacturers are normally all about production so if it's bigger more comfortable and the guy can run it longer it'll make them more a day.

nativewolf

Quote from: labradorguy on January 27, 2019, 11:01:21 AM
Definitely fantasyland. Price is insane. I sure wish someone out there would build a skidder that a working man could afford. I don't need stereos, a/c, fancy seats, DEF tanks, or all the computerized baloney. Frame, wheels, engine, winch, and a seat behind some metal would suit me just fine.

I'm like most everyone else here and stuck looking at the old beat up ones. Cuba has their cars; we have our old skidders. lol
Not to hijack but what does one of those 610e's run?
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

Honestly for the money your looking to spend I would shop around, there is so much stuff for sale right now. 
I dont know how far that is, that's a nice machine and other than being single arch is worlds over that 450C / 525. Wait till you get to change steering cylinder hoses on that 450C laying out in the woods. 

I wont own a skidder that the cab doesnt tip, makes life so much easier. 

labradorguy

That's a good looking machine. Those things are a darn fortune around me. That's a lot more reasonable price for one. Buying a skidder may require a road trip... lol.

mike_belben

Keep tabs on LSN.com for one.  Its a bit closer to you than virginia.  Theres a lot of iron on the cumberland plateau.  You could try delks, they may know of machines for sale closer to you. 

Used Logging Equipment - Log Skidders, Log Loaders, Feller Bunchers, Trucks, Trailer, and More
Praise The Lord

labradorguy

Thank You Sponsors!