iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Promoting the forum

Started by Danny_S, March 30, 2005, 05:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny_S

As I drive by this person's house everyday, I see that he has a norwood in his yard with a pile of cedar beside it. I never see him running it or even anyone around. I would like to intorduce him to the forum and maybe get to know him sometime but I'm not much for knocking on doors just to shoot up conversation.

I was wondering if someone within the forum could create a brochure that we could print off and slip into a mailbox or something of the like. You could maybe have a few in your glove box to hand to people that you meet to give them the low-down of the forum. Just something with the site name and maybe the logo on front, a little history of the forum and how it originated, some of the topics within it, a few random pics and quotes  from posts maybe, and whatever else might be eye catching for one to want to check us out.

What are your thoughts on this??

Danny S
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

SwampDonkey

HI there Danny,

I do a little promoting of the site through my business where I include on my brochure the site url and I tell the client something that may be of interest to them. However, I find that alot of my clients don't understand the computer world, quite  few don't even own them. I also have a number of door prizes I bought or collected from forum sponsors and Jeff for the annual meeting of delegates at our Marketing Board and Woodlot Owner Association. I think there are quite a few members on line who found out about the forum from their neighbor or friends in the same business. Maybe it's time to make your aquantence with the neighbor with the idle mill. Maybe you can help off load and stack a whack of'em to get the fever back for milling your own. ;) ;D

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

It would be nice to have something created for that purpose, although Canadian Laws must be different then ours in regards to mail. If we slipped something in a maibox its a federal offense!

This is something to think about.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Doc

Jeff is right, and down here (it may be the same everywhere) the post master will charge you a fee for every one they pull off mailboxes....it ain't cheap, but I can't remember how much.

think front doors

Doc

Danny_S

I dont think that it is illegal here, but I dont know for sure, .... I would probably stop and speak with him/her if they were running the mill but it would be nice to be armed with a little brochure to give them if they seemed interested. I just dont have the knowhow to make such a thing...  ;)  Anyways, maybe something could be created if'n someone has the technology... and the time!

P.S. - Swamp, I still have a bit of the milling fever but my wallet has a higher fever for paying bills and saving for a mortgage!! I have a few ideas and lots of equipment to work with at work, I just need to get started at it. :)

Firewood Farm

You guys are right about the USPS regulations, but here in my neck of the woods, most people have a newspaper box next to their mailbox, and it is not illegal to stuff something in there. Same effect but no hassles.
If a man is in a forest and there's no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

EZ

I know what you mean Danny. I fill pretty werd knocking on new customers doors for the first time.
There's a guy right down the road from me that has some locus logs cut and I know he dont know about me. I just cant get myself to go down there and tell him I have a bandmill. ::)
EZ

Furby

Actually I get my mail box stuffed all the time, and I'm only 100 yards from the post office. No press box, so if they don't put in in the mailbox, they hang it on the flag. The last one broke my flag.  >:(
It was a local group I disaproved of and almost had them charged, but didn't. Kind wish I had though.

SwampDonkey

Hey Danny,

There is a local fella that made his own mill a few years ago. I see he has sawn some wood off and on, mostly off. His yard is full of some old hardwood lumber getting stained out in the weather. When he first setup his mill I bought a few board, but I found I had to plain them down a bit as his mill seems to wonder a bit, not so good. I don't think he got it worked out and the mill is sittin in off the road gathering weeds. Now if some young feller was to come along and pay him a little visit, maybe talk about the mill with this guy........well ya just never know what might take place. ;) He's a fabricator/welder himself and has always worked away from home on union jobs I think. He has a shop of his own out back of the house, but I don't think it's in that great a shape. It's a shame that mill sittin there idle all this time out in the elements.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Maybe ,,,,
if we had something here on the forum ... some kind of template that could be printed from anyone of our respective computer....
  That way it would be done in a way that would be universel and designed approved by the boss .....

Just a thought here ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

asy

Danny...

Let me tellya a story...

I worked for a guy once, he was a real, um...  <homonym with donkey>

One thing I did learn from him was a phrase he kept repeating:

Do what you fear most.

It's come in handy many a time.

It's handy when you really don't want to do something, to get it over and done with.

It's handy when you have got yourself into trouble, and you need to fess up before things get worse.

It's handy when you don't want to knock on someone's door, but you really feel you should.

Who knows...  you may make a friend.

Look at Quartlow's experience with someone who knocked on his door...

Doesn't seem you have anything to loose. If he is rude and slams the door in your face, well, at least you tried. You won't die wondering.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

iain

Go and knock, he maybe wishing he new a sawyer,
i,m always banging on doors, sofar no ones been rude to me, and i've got mostly trees for the cost of a rustic table for in or outside, some times the first thing they say is   "how much you paying"  (farmers), but mostly they are interested in what you are doing with the wood, cause most people dont know where wood comes from any more

iain  (asy why is skippy wearing your upper under garment?)

crtreedude

Asy,

I too learned a very important lesson from a less than stellar boss. Once I was working on a Fiat electrical problem and he saw me standing there with probably a look of consternation and indecision and yelled, "Do something, anything even if it is wrong!"

Fred
So, how did I end up here anyway?

asy

Quote from: iain on March 31, 2005, 02:24:30 AM
(asy why is skippy wearing your upper under garment?)

Huh???

Where???

It'll wanna be a dang big skippy to fit...

iain

asy

Crikey, Iain, if that's what you think a bra looks like...

My dear, some lessons may be in order...

Brings new meaning to the phrase "You'll put your eye out on that!"

Roxie

I think Jeff may have to seperate the two of you.  The world is not ready for the Iain and Asy combination.   :D :D :D
Say when

iain

Dont knock it old girl, it works under mr out fits ;D

iain

Fla._Deadheader

Y'all ain't gonna believe this, but, I youster be real shy.  ::) ::) ::)
  Yup, that's right.  ;D ;D

Now, I will knock on anyone's door. That "Shrimper" said it best. Life is like a box of choklit, ya never know what yer gonna git.   FORREST was his name. Nearly blew that one. Whew ::) ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

Boy Harold is telling it like it is.   :o

Imagine my surprise when he showed up on my door step down here in Costa Rica!  :D

I suspect I wasn't anything like he expected....

So, how did I end up here anyway?

slowzuki

Thats a good idea'er Danny.  I've mentioned the forum to a few people.  Most of the serious sawyers it seems don't have internet or time unfortunately.  In Canada it is fine to deliver mail yourselve, just illegal to remove it from the box.  Most community groups deliver messages this way, just pop in the box.

Danny_S

I just figured it would be a better way than just saying " Hey check out the forestry forum... the adress is this..." and then 10 seconds later they have forgotten all about it. I intended to say what isawlogs mentioned...
Quote from: isawlogs on March 30, 2005, 09:52:16 PM
Maybe ,,,,
if we had something here on the forum ... some kind of template that could be printed from anyone of our respective computer....
That way it would be done in a way that would be universel and designed approved by the boss .....

Just a thought here ....

that was what I was getting at .. maybe a word document or pdf file of some sort..

Jeff

Well, lets talk about what you guys think it might contain. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

If it was business card size, that would be handy to have in your wallet.
All it needs is the address and a catchy summary like " Forestry , sawmilling, and apple pie"
Or that slogan that used to be on the front door...

The printable page could have a bunch (12)? on it to cut out ....maybe  ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ianab

I was thinking similar to SB, maybe postcard sized?
The logo, web address and "Everything you ever wanted to know about forestry, sawmills, timber and food"  ??? :D

It just needs to be something simple to catch peoples interest and get them to type in the url.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!