iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lose the sap, not the dog.

Started by ohsoloco, April 07, 2005, 09:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

Well, it took me a while, but I FINALLY got the mill moved over to my house.  I couldn't set the mill up there until I got something to move logs around with, and about a month ago I picked up a New Holland LX885 skid steer  8) 

I was unloading some white pine logs today, and the inspector was out there checking things out.  Soooo, does anyone know a good, safe way to remove pine sap from dog fur   ???  She's a lab mix, so it's short hair I'm dealing with.  She does have a nice spiked hairdoo down one side of her now...that sap gives it "the wet look"   :D

populus

The staff veterinarian (my wife) says DON'T use petroleum distillate like kerosene. Very bad for the dog's liver.  She suggested clipping the fur and then shampooing.

ohsoloco

My first reaction to pine sap is paint thinner, but I didn't think this would be good for the pup even with a washing afterwards.  The way she sheds it may all be gone in a few hours  ::)

sprucebunny

How about pinesol on a rag ? Or a citrus hand cleaner ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Stump Jumper

Pine sol works :)

It even works in Kirk Allen's hair :D :D :D :D
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

james

work butter or lard into the pitch  it should just come off with a little elbo grease 8) 8)

ohsoloco

Oooooh, she likes butter!   Lapped up half a container of oleo she snagged from the kitchen table  :D

wiam

Butter does NOT equal oleo ::)

Will

ohsoloco

I figgered someone would call me on that, since so many of us seem to like food so much on this forum  ;)  I love butter, but ya gotta have something in a round container that will spread right out of the fridge  :)

Kirk_Allen

As Stump Jumper pointed out, Pinesol WORKS! 

Im glad too.  Had it not worked I may have had to have my wife cut my hair...........................NOT ;D

Your dog will appreciate keeping his hair!  Give him a bath and just pour a capful onto the area with the sap.  It will come right off.

Joe W

I've come accross some pretty stickey situations and the best thing I've come accross is a product called GOO GONE.This stuff is awesome,it will take off crayons,tar,grease,bubble gum,oil,candle wax,asphalt,glue and oh ya tree sap.Good luck,Joe

Cedarman

I've used Lestoil on cedar sap. Put it on full strength, let it set a bit and should wash off.  We can't find Lestoil any more though. So I have the question, can any of you buy it in your area?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Jeff

Cedarman, do a google search. You can buy it all over on-line.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Cedarman

I have found a good bit over the internet, but wonder why it is not in the stores like it used to be.  We usta could buy it locally all the time.

ohsoloco

Cool, sounds like pine sol is the ticket  :)

OLD_ JD

what about alcohol :o...it will probaly work and made him more then happy 8)
canadien forest ranger

Cedarman

Now would this alcohol be applied internally or externally to the dog or yourself?

OLD_ JD

very IMPORTANT then u clean the dog first,give some to him as pain killer before u finnish the bottle ;D  :D :D
canadien forest ranger

Corley5

Ether and it dries fast ;)  Just use caution around ignition sources ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

babylogger

use peanutbutter like you would for getting bubble gum out of kids hair! dont use pine sol or lestoil! omg pine sol will burn a dogs skin! you wouldnt use it on your kids right? so dont use it on your animals. its not good for them. ok i think im over my panic attack ( sorry i seen someones pet after he drank anti freeze and now its just like a frozen picture in my mind)! so im a little heavy about stuff like this. and im sorry, i forgot whoever was looking for lestoil, they still sell it here. in redneck ny lol. if ya cant find it ill send some too you.
love logger

Cedarman

Thanks for the offer babylogger.  In So In hunting for Lestoil is kinda like looking for collectibles. It is such a joy when we find a place that carries it.

ohsoloco

I think I'll just let it wear off, her spike isn't nearly as noticeable now  :D

Thank You Sponsors!