iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on cleaning & painting smoker.

Started by Chris J, April 11, 2005, 08:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris J

Hello to all.  I decided to stray away from the chainsaw forum for a change  :o.  I bought a used smoker, horizontal firebox with vertical cooker, at the flea market.  So far I've used a drill with a wire wheel to remove most of the rust.  My next step is to use sandpaper to get into the corners & other tight spots.

I plan to use a compressor & air gun to blow out at much dust as possible.  Any advice on further cleaning the surface before I paint it?  I'm going to use the spray paint formulated for high heat applications.  Previously I've used Ace Hardware brand, but wanted to know if anyone could reccomend something better.  I'm putting a fair amount time into this, & I want the paint to last a long time.

Thank you in advance for your help; I need all that I can get.,,,,,Chris J.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

shopteacher

If you want the best try this stuff, it's a little pricey but it works great.  You can fin all kind of articles of restoration using this product.  I just bought some to use on the skid steer, truck exhaust manifold and truck body.  GOOD STUFF.

http://www.thefinishedlook.com/main.htm
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Chris J

Thanks, Shopteacher.  I went into the site, but everytime I select catalogue I get a security alert screen & then everything freezes up.  I'll try again when I get home & see what happens.  I didn't do much nosing around in their site (2 reboots were enough for me); are they strickly internet sales, or are the products available through retail outlets?  Stopping into Lowes & Home Depot on my way home is easily done. ,,,,,,,Chris J.

Before I forget...is spray paint okay, or should I use a brush?  I'm not too worried about aesthetic appeal as most of the places I'll be painting are inside & underneath.  All input is much appreciated!
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

shopteacher

I got the security alert for the certificate and just clicked no and everything worked fine. the high temp paint they sell is good up to 1400 deg.  I'd brush it on myself. It's usually cheaper to buy paint in a can and you get a lot more. Also the coating from a brush seems to be a lot heavier than from a spray can.  I think you have to order directly from them.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

UNCLEBUCK

I started getting hooked watching a tv show on rfd tv called dutch oven campfire cookin and the man uses spray on black high temp paint for all his iron in the fire pit so you should be good to go when you get it done. Never seen a smoker that was clean on the inside but I am sure it looks great . Good luck smokin ! My highest smokehouse temps ever are 162
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Chris J

The oven?? part of the smoker is in pretty good shape, although it has been repainted at one time.  The firebox is rusty on the inside, but not so bad that the metal is compromised.  Almost looks like it was stored with the oven under some kind of cover, & the fire box exposed.  I'm not sure of the brand or model, but I think that Home Depot sells a very similar one for about $250.00, maybe $275.00.

I'm going to have to rig an adjustable vent cover on the firebox, but I'll post a photo when I reach that point.

Thanks for the advice & encouragement. ,,,,,,Chris J.

Don_Papenburg

Sandblast is easier than sandpaper faster and better in my opinion.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

UNCLEBUCK

Don Papenburg I hope you will show some pictures of your mill in the sawmill section or tell about it like what size of blade and how your 820 john deere handles it . I would like to read about how you have it worked . Thanks
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Timber_Framer

Just my 2 cents...unless this unit is going to be covered don't worry too much about gettin it all spotless and shiney clean, and don't worry about buying the best there is paint. I use semi gloss high heat engine painy from NAPA on the jugs for my shovelhead and the barrel on my smoker and used to paint both of em every three years.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Chris J

The painting is more for protection & increased longetivity than pretty & shiny.  I want to keep it going as long as possible, but I do realize that this isn't one of the built-to-last-a-lifetime smokers.  It's just about the right size to get together with some neighbors & load up a few briskets, some whole chickens, & maybe some garlic sausage.  Unfortunately it'll probably be next week before I'm ready to fire her up.

Sandblasting crossed my mind (that really hurt), but for the small areas needing sanding & painting it would've been overkill.  The advice to give her a new coating every few years sounds about right. ,,,,,,Chris J.

etat

Me, I'd take the easy way out.  I'd build a pretty hot fire up in there and burn out as much of the old rust and grease as I could.  Then I'd wire brush it down and put a coat of high heat exhaust paint on it.  I might actually repeat the process about once a year or so.  :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Chris J

I've never heard of burning out the rust, but this my first real smoker.  Is it   crazy for a grown man to be excited about a smoker?   I've only got a few nooks & crannies left to sandpaper, so I guess a few extra knuckle scrapes it will be.  Hope to pick-up some paint tomorrow, & get it painted before I head out of town for a few days.

All input is appreciated. ,,,,,,Chris J.

Minnesota_boy

You could have done what I do by accident on my sawmill frame.  Let it collect a bit of oak sawdust and then get rai8ned on.  The red rust that was there from the paint being scratched off turns to a dark blue and stays that way for months.  When it starts to turn red again, saw some more oak.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Norm

Quote from: Mucha_Nada on April 12, 2005, 05:22:28 PMIs it   crazy for a grown man to be excited about a smoker?

Not any more so than me sitting here thinking.....hmmm wish I had a smoker like that. ;D

Chris J

Norm F--I know my way around in the kitchen, & I gotta say that's one heck of a stove.  Those stockpots are pretty nice, too.

My father-in-law quit doing home brewed beer, & not too long ago he gave me his pot & all the inside bits.  That pot has seen a lot of cooking in the last few months.  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chris J.

Thank You Sponsors!