iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoker Recommendation

Started by terrifictimbersllc, May 22, 2019, 07:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

No I'm not moving to Vermont. 🏝

Looking to smoke fish.  Salt and freshwater.  Never used a smoker before..  Is this electric one a good one?
bradley smoker
I was hoping to use my own wood when I want to. . Not sure if this one will let me. Is there a good simpler alternative?

Any suggestions welcome. thanks
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

I've been thinking about getting a smoker for quite some time now, but still haven't moved on it!

I've also been thinking about building a small smoke-house out in the back corner of the yard, I think I might go this way but just don't know when!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Raider Bill

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on May 22, 2019, 07:24:38 PM
No I'm not moving to Vermont. 🏝

Looking to smoke fish.  Salt and freshwater.  Never used a smoker before..  Is this electric one a good one?
bradley smoker
I was hoping to use my own wood when I want to. . Not sure if this one will let me. Is there a good simpler alternative?

Any suggestions welcome. thanks
I have had a Cook Shack for 15 years and love it but a couple friends have masterbuild electric smokers and they put out some DELISH Q.
Available in local ACE hardware stores.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

stanmillnc

I've got a few smokers and they each have their pros and cons. My go to smoker especially for large batches is a Lang model 60. I used this trailer model smoker on the BBQ competition circuit for years and it served me well. Made in GA, high quality, 3/16" thick steel that uses a "reverse flow" smoking process, with a baffle underneath the cooking chamber so that the smoke travels underneath first, then back through the cooking chamber and up through the smoke stack (on the same side as the firebox). I really like this design as it essentially eliminates the potential for embers or ash to deposit on your food. It also creates a more evenly consistent cooking temperature across the chamber. I cook exclusively with wood - mostly scraps from sawmilling on this unit. Now that I'm retired from the competitive circuit, I'm happy to share any BBQ cooking secrets I've learned over the years with my friends on the Forestry Forum! As a side note, Poston Widehead can vouch for my que!

tule peak timber

I've smoked A LOT of fish in my Cookshack over the last 30 years.
   The last couple of years I've been using a steel drum half buried in sand with a custom made hinged lid.That way I can control temps fairly well with practice. Smoked salmon for breakfast today.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!