iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

I could think of plenty of reasons why you might be driving past another mill to get to this job. I'm not sure I could avoid asking why he hires the job out instead of running his own mill. Although, I would wait until the end of the day 😉
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

DWyatt

Quote from: doc henderson on January 09, 2019, 10:45:59 PM

Is how these are stacked in the box some kind of drying technique? Or just what you grabbed to throw the cookies in????

Magicman

Quote from: Crossroads on January 10, 2019, 12:17:00 AMI'm not sure I could avoid asking why he hires the job out instead of running his own mill.
The new sawmill was there when I sawed for him in October.  I figured that he would watch the setup and ask some questions but he showed no interest in the sawing process.  He has lotsa toys and likes to talk, so I just do my job.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

Hey dwyatt,  A little of both.  We made about 50 plus for a wedding.  Soaked in denatured alcohol in 30 gallon barrel, then set out to dry for a few hours, then in the box lid closed to slow the drying a bit so as not to split out the sapwood as much,  through a drum sander, watco Danish oil and Wa La they have been married for a year.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Deere80

Hard and soft maple this past weekend.

Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Magicman

They are all nice but those "fishhook" slabs are exceptional.  You did a good job of splitting the pith dead center.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

Those are some pretty slabs, for sure! 

Looks like I'll be setting up this weekend on what left of the deck of blued pine. Last week I ran 7° blades. This week I get to try the turbo 7's, I hope I have as good of experience with them as most of the others who've been using them. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Deere80

Thank you.

Crossroads, I was going to buy a box of the T7's but have 3 brand new boxes of 4's in the shop yet that have not been opened and I do not cut for a living so it will take me a while to use them up. So thought I would wait until they are used up or I would probably like the T7's so much that I wouldn't use the 4's anymore. 
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Magicman

Good thinking.  I finally got rid of the remainder of my 10° blades, (gave them away) and I will have to force myself to use the remainder of my 4° blades.

Sixacresand

Been reading the good luck you guys been having with T7's.   I tried to order some but WM advised against it due to lack of mill horse power.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

I can't answer how they would saw with a 20 something hp gasoline engine but I do know that there is a difference between my sawing with the non-turbo Diesel and the turbo Diesel that I have on the sawmill now.  The high HP rocks.

Southside

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 11, 2019, 07:28:33 PM
Been reading the good luck you guys been having with T7's.   I tried to order some but WM advised against it due to lack of mill horse power.  
Sixacres - I have been running turbo 7's on my 25hp LT35 for several years, and still do, I went to them after I was not happy with the performance I was getting from 10's and 7's - at the advice of my dealer.  I had the same conversation with Indy, honestly they would do better to adjust their recommendation on the use of this profile.   There is a member on here with a smaller engine - 22hp I think - and he has run the turbos as well with the same luck.  Now the 55hp turbo on my Super70 runs away with those turbos but no other band profile saws as well or as fast as the turbos on my 35.
I have sawn pine that was from guide to guide wide, white oak over 24", hickory, pecan, miserable half frozen, not so fresh felled logs among others on the 35 with Turbos -  all performed fine.     
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crusarius

I have the 22hp and have used the T7 blades. I think instead of the winter sampler box I should have just ordered a box of T7's they worked great for what I was sawing. think it was red oak, hickory, and spruce.

Darrel

I can't say anything about 7° or T7°. All I've ever used is 10°. What I can say is last summer I was cutting some fast growing ponderosas from a guy's yard. These things were full of big knots and I couldn't make them saw flat for anything no matter what I tried. Alignment was perfect and so was everything else. So a bit frustrated I went home and put a couple of blades on my old drag sharpener and just before I hit start I thought of something. I reset the grind wheel to 7° and sharpened two blades. The next morning I put them on the mill and they cut flat. My mill cut better than it ever had.  

All my 10's have been ground back to 7° and when I order new blades they will be 7°, maybe even turbos. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WV Sawmiller

I use 4 degree blades on pine or spruce because of the knots and they work good for me. I do have several T7's and am going to give them another chance when this next snow storm is over.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sixacresand

Maybe next time, which will probably be next year,  I will insist on T7's.  Meanwhile I got a 15 count box of 4's, which do well for me in what I mill.  

The local re sharp guy sets and grinds everything to eight degrees and they cut as good as any new one.  Even the resharpened nail strike blades do well. 

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Since I am portable, having one blade profile that will do it all is very convenient.  OK, there are still two 4° blades in the bottom of my "Magic Can" but that leaves me eight T7°'s for my sawing.  These will safely get me through 3 days of sawing.  If I am going to be away from home for an entire week, I carry another cube box of 10.

petefrom bearswamp

have tried to regrind 10s to 7s with minimal results, but then Mysharpening never was very good.
I keep a few of these around to use on crap logs.
I am 98 percent T7s now.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on January 12, 2019, 09:44:25 AMI keep a few of these around to use on crap logs.
Why you saw "crap" logs?  Bugs, Worms, & Termites gotta eat too.  :o

Kwill

Are the t7 only for higher hp applications?
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Darrel

That's what Wood-Mizer says, however there are those that report good results with lower horsepower. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

That is what they are designed/marketed for but it seems to be a "try um and see" situation by many sawyers.  I guess that you will never know unless you try.  ;D

SawyerTed

I tried a box of five T7's to use with my 25hp Kohler LT35.  The T7's worked great.  @Southside Logger, IIRC, was the one that suggested to me to try T7's even though ReSharp guy advised that 4° double hards were the best blade for the 25 hp.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Kwill

Im at 13 hp and only saw cedar.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Magicman

I have sawn many Mbf of ERC with 10° blades, no problem. 

Not related to the 7°T subject but ERC dulls blades quicker than about any other species that I saw.

Thank You Sponsors!