iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Woodmizer Mark I debarker questions

Started by hauler83, June 24, 2010, 09:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hauler83

I have a 1990 LT40 Woodmizer that came without a debarker.  The dealer said if I could find an old Mark I debarker I could put it on.  Would like to find someone with parts and pieces that I could buy or any ideas what else would fit.  Would appreciate any info.  Thank you.

Tom

Welcome Hauler83.  That's the same mill that I ran for many years and I never had a debarker. I don't think there was such a thing when the mill was built.

Is your "want" because you have run the mill for a good time and feel the need or because you've been told that you should have one.

I only ask that because we did quite well with sawing before debarkers.  There were times when we needed to clear a strip for the band, but it was not frequent and we used an axe, scraper, or Log Wizard (a device built for the end of a chainsaw bar that looks like a planer head).

I found that the lack of extraneous gear hanging from the mill meant that there was less to break.  That's important if you are on the road and deep in the woods.

I'll not discount that they are nice in some situations, but they certainly aren't necessary, nor even advisable in many situations.  :)

Magicman

hauler83, good luck with your search and Welcome to The Forestry Forum.    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sparks

The Mark l Debarker had a bad tendency of stopping during operation because the motor was not strong enough to keep the blade going. That is whty we went to the Mark ll Debarker. It has a 3/4 hp motor to drive the blade. We sell it for that mill for $1897.00 and you will have to upgrade your up/down chain to be able to handle the additional weight.
You have to weigh the cost versus the benefit for how much you saw. If your logs are real dirty with no way to clean them then the Debarker helps keep your blades sharp longer. A Mark l Debarker will most likely be hard to find. Once they have them they don't want to let them go.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!