iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dad2FourWI

Your project is looking very nice!!!

... but your health is priority #1 ... Take care of yourself!

Love the pics, thanks for sharing!  ;D ;D ;D

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

fishfighter

Quote from: Dad2FourWI on June 16, 2015, 09:58:46 AM
Your project is looking very nice!!!

... but your health is priority #1 ... Take care of yourself!

Love the pics, thanks for sharing!  ;D ;D ;D

-Dad2FourWI

Sound like my wife of 35+ years. :D

I start at day light and have to shut it down by 10:30.  Got a good start this morning hanging stringers on the backside of the building on the trusses. I have a couple more runs to do. Even got a few sheets on OBS hung on the side. I should be getting some help to hang the medal roofing Friday. The sheets are 18'. I don't think I can handle that by myself.

fishfighter

Got a few runs of the roofing on. My son and SIL got up there to start it off for me. Then of course, what I did was rip a muscle in my lower back pouring more pads. Those green pine sills are slopping down on me about 3/8" and I need to get some support in the center of them ASAP. Pain unbearable in my back. Two days in the doctor's offices. One for my heart which was bad news and one for my back. I'm at bed rest and that is killing me.
When it rains, it pours. Something screwed up in my backhoe. It will not shift into reverse. :'( Please make it stop.

Was hopping to get it closed in ASAP. Going to have to wait till my son and SIL can help me get it done.

thecfarm

The Lucky God's are not really helping you out much.  :( 
But it's looking good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishfighter

Was in the hospital yesterday for my weekly infusion and my sister showed up. Her husband was at the ER with a heart attack. They do have him stable now, but it's going to be a long road for recover for him.

My heart is doing a bit better, but the back is not letting off. More blood work today. Fluid build up is the big killer when one is in heart failure. Being 6' tall and weight in at 170 lbs, it is hard not to see the fluid build up on me, but it looks like I have most of it gone and under control again.

dablack

First time I'm seeing this thread!  I love the build but please take care of yourself. 

Sorry about your BIL!
Building my own house in East TX

fishfighter

Things have slow down to a stand still due to me with my back. Hoping my son and sil make it over to finish out the roof this weekend. I did try to do a little this morning. Got some more OSB hung. Got a couple pillows up under a sill. Then rain came and ran me off. Maybe later I will be able to pour two more footing that I need to get in place. I do have them framed out and wire and ground strap in place.

Yesterday, I dropped the trannie out of my backhoe and took it apart. Sure enough, I busted the clutch spring. Another name for that part is a Belleville. Parts on order and will not get them till mid next week.

fishfighter

After a few days in the hospital with a pinched nerve and pain out of control, they did a epidural steroid  shot in L4 in my lower back. What a relief. Kind of still dragging the left leg, but doing 100% better.

Yesterday, my son and SIL came and finished putting the tin on the front side and installed the pillars for the flooring. Then the rain came down in buckets. That shut down everything. >:(

Parts are in for my backhoe, so I will make the trip to go pick them up and finish rebuilding the backhoe shuttle drive. Problem there, I can't install it. At over 120lbs, they is no way I could pick it up right now. So, another job for the kids. That is something I hate to have to wait done.

Anyway, this is were things stand now.

fishfighter

Been taking it very easy doing very little each day on the camp. Got the rear roof line finished. Hope to get the roofing on this weekend. My son and SIL will be doing that.

Got just about all the OSB siding up. Just have the peak to do. Maybe Friday I can get some of that done.

It's been so hot that I been shutting things down around 9am. Way to hard after that for me to catch my breath.

fishfighter

Within the limits of what I been able to do, I been getting very little done. This heat wave has got to let off soon. Heat index has ben hitting 110F here this past week.

Just about got phase one closed in. Two sheets of tin left on the back side to put in place and some tarp at the eves on the other side. My son and SIL have been working 7 days a week. So, I been doing what I can with the help of my wife and backhoe.

I need to start sawing more lumber for phase two. I do have the sills done, but completely out of 2x4's. Got the dirt work done and started laying out things. I have a few pine logs that are easy 450 BF in each one. Big suckers. ;D

fishfighter

Oh, The peak of the roof from the ground is 23' up. I don't care for heights anymore. ;D

rasman57

Wow.  Most of us do not know you but let me say you are one tough son of a gun!   Those health issues, accidents, heat and breakdowns would stop a lot of folks.  You keep on  keeping on!   Best of luck moving forward.   You deserve a few good breaks after all you have gone through.  Interesting project.  Take care of yourself too.

fishfighter

Thanks. I had always been a hard worker, DIY'er kind of person. The house I live in, I built it about 16 years ago. It's 2800 slf with a total of 3650 under roof. Working at the time which was 12 hour shift work, I built it in 6 months by myself from start to finish. And people say it couldn't be done. ;D If there is a will, there is a way. I live by that.

WE are under Heat advisories again today. 5:30 am and it's 80F. >:(

sawmilllawyer

My hat is off to you, Sir. Keep on plugging away you'll get her done. Enjoyed reading about your progress and refusal to quit.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Chilterns

Hi Fishfighter,

I was interested to see that you have decided to perch your building on staddle stones and wonder why you have chosen this method since this will potentially result in a cold floor.

Standing buildings on staddles was traditionally employed on granaries, apple stores, etc. i.e. where the contents need a degree of protection from rats and mice.

All that said - I like it !!

Chilterns

fishfighter

Here in the south, you build on concrete or off the ground. Being that I am sawing all my lumber, it is a lot cheaper for me going this route. I will be insulating under the floor once all the plumbing and wiring is done. Our winters are very mild here. Building off the ground also helps keep the house cool in the summer. Problems building on concrete here is that one has to put the concrete in tension with cables to help the slab from cracking due to big temperature swings and ground drying out fast. We don't have to build for snow load or have to deal with a frost line.

fishfighter

Phase one is closed in now. Got the rest of the roof on and everything closed up tight. Unreal on the heat.102F and HOT today. I need to cut more lumber, but just can't do it. :'(

fishfighter

Really not much going on with the camp other then getting the last of the tarp up on the open side. Been cleaning, clearing, pushing dirt and burning. After a very wet March, April and June, things are drying up.

fishfighter

Been a couple weeks from my last update. Been sawing up lumber for phase two. A lot of oak and pine studs. Just so hot this summer that has taken a lot out of me. With almost two more months of hot weather still to go.

Tomorrow, I will start more foundation pads. Nothing like handling 80lb bags of readymix, lifting them up high to put them in the mixer. ;D

fishfighter

Got a couple of the pads poured this morning. After all the rain we got yesterday, there is nothing like working in mud.

After two pads, I had to call it quits. Got hot fast this morning and my back had enough. ;D

Floor joist and wall studs stacked in the back ground. Got other stacks too!

fishfighter

Got half the floor framing done today. Still waiting for the ground to dry some. I still have 3 more pads to pour, but the rains have been coming down every day. If it doesn't stop for just two days, then I will just have to pour things wet.

Magicman

You are just like a Timex.  Take a linkin' and keep on tickin'.  I love your progress.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

That is what the wife says. ;D I'm trying to get this phase framed in before winter. Got three more pads done today before I had to quit. That wiped me out to were I had to take a 4 hour nap after. :'( Just two more to go on phase two. I had enough of the mud and yes, another 1"+ of rain this afternoon. I did cover the pads with plastic. Rain chances suppose to drop next week somewhat. ;D

fishfighter

Got out and did a little work on the camp this morning. Was kind of nice. Was 73F for a change. ;D Still having trouble with the back. :'( So, this is were I'm at.

No rain in the farcast the next few days. Things are still wet and muddy.

fishfighter

This is were I'm at as of today.

I had added at each sill joint some 3" angle at each corner with some leg bolts. Really didn't need it, but I had everything.

From there, I had finished getting all the floor joist in place.

Being green lumber, I took some 1" boards and tie the new floor joist to the old phase one flooring. I hope to deck it out this weekend.

The building in the back ground is a back bedroom. Bad news for that. I have to move it out the way to add more dirt under it. >:( My dumb out. Oh well. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!