iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One ton loads

Started by Bruno of NH, June 10, 2019, 05:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I have always delivered firewood with a dump trailer. 
I sold my dump trailer and now have a f-350 dump.
How big of side boards should I build for one cord lose fill for it.
Thanks Bruno 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ljohnsaw

Well, is it a flat bed or a normal pickup bed with wheel wells?  How long and how wide is it?  Are you just loose filling in the bed (not stacking)?  IIRC, you up the 128 cu-ft of a cord to something like 140?  So take 140/width(in feet)/length(in feet) and that will give you the height from the deck that your side walls need to be.  If you have wheel wells to contend with, maybe start out with a little bigger number (145) or mound it up in the bed a little.

So, if the bed is 4½' wide and is a long bed (8') you would do 140/4.5/8 = 3.89' or 3' 10½'.  If you used 145 then it would be 145/4.5/8 = 4.09'  That would be a full sheet of plywood for the side (cut out for the wheel wells) and a little over half a sheet for the front (headache rack).  You would need to put a temporary piece on the back so you could fill it all the way.  That back piece could be the 3½' x 4' cutoff from the front.  Put it in the wide way and raise it up with some 2x6s at the edge to bridge the 6" gap or so.  Use those fancy latches they use on stake sides to hold it in place and keep the side boards from spreading.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Corley5

I use 190 cubic feet for a cord of 16" loose/thrown processed firewood.  I used 180 cubic feet early in my career and found that sometimes although rarely depending on how the wood went into the truck/trailer it would stack up a bit short.  I haul five 16" face cords, a cord and 2/3s if you prefer, in my F550.  The bed is 10' long X 96" wide X whatever tall.  I forget. 

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Southside

I don't think you will be able to haul a true cord in a 350, at least not legally or very many times before expensive parts break. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

It's a dump body 
Some folks call them mason bodies 

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Corley5

That'll haul a cord easy.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dave Shepard

We use the same truckts in a Powerstroke. 180 feet, but I tend to give a little extra. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GRANITEstateMP

Bruno,  

As others have said, 180cu/ft is the loose / conveyored / loader bucketed in.  I think that my trailer I got it marked off at 185cu ft.  When I do 22in long firewood we do it at 195cu ft (even when we rake it while processing, longer wood makes for bigger air gaps).
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

thecfarm

It would require some work and time.Pile a cord up,than throw it in your truck. I use to work for a guy that had a dump trailer. There was painted marks on each corner to tell what a cord was. Yes, I had to get in the trailer to throw wood into the corners. He had a conveyor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gearbox

I use 200 for 20 inch boiler wood split big . I havn't had complaints
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Al_Smith

FWIW you can get a full cord if it's stacked on a heavy 3/4 ton pick up truck .I did it once just to see .However it's above the cab and as such you certainly can't move it very far .A cord is about two tons  or so ,you won't over load the truck but you have a very unstable load .In my experiment I only moved the load about 500 feet at about the pace of a very old snail .Actually with a very old truck .1977 Ford F-250 with a 300 I6 that has been resting in my woods for the last 10 years .

TKehl

Payloads have increased, but the names of the trucks have stayed the same.  Kind of the reverse of inflation.   ;)

I think a current F350 could safely haul about twice what my 1993 F350 could even when it was new.  Better brakes, springs, etc. etc.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Al_Smith

Plus the fact they've changed them so much .Now you see cowboy limousines with a double cab and a 6 foot bed that won't haul much more than a set golf clubs .These are not your pappys work truck. Geeze a short person would need a step ladder just to get in the cab .

Being rather old school I think they should have a single cab,8 foot bed and come with the dents already installed .A truck is a tool not a yuppie mobile .

barbender

Al, I'm with you on that, other than I like an extended cab😊
Too many irons in the fire

TKehl

Al, you'll like this.  My old boss got a great deal on a slightly used F350.  Was only used to haul the guys fifth wheel.  First time a pallet of cattle chow was put on the bed, the springs hit the overloads.  Turned out the PO had some of the leaves taken out so it would ride better.   :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 11, 2019, 07:16:54 AM
.1977 Ford F-250 with a 300 I6 that has been resting in my woods for the last 10 years .
Al,
you probably should'a burnt that wood by now, not sure how many BTU's is left in it after a decade?   :D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Al_Smith

It was a bunch of dead ash .That was gone long ago .On a side note the F250 originally was a light spring deal,like about 6200 pounds GVW  which me being me over loaded .Cured that ,went to the junk yard and got a pair rears from an F-350.Talk about a bumpy ride .

I might revive that thing someday .It's only got 263 thousand miles on it .It must have a hole it because the squirrels must have a bushel and half of nuts scattered around . Once I lifted to hood and found a possum had taken up residence within .Real comfy on top of the engine .I evicted him .

thecfarm

I have a 76 with a straight 6 in it. 4wh drive 250. Mine has been sitting for 20 years.55 mph was really pushing that thing. Low gears in the rear and a 4 speed. It was a work truck. Did not matter if there was a load in the back or empty,it got 8 miles to the gallon. A nice truck to drive in the snow. It did have a worn out 360 in it. That died and I bought a 300 for it. That took some time to get it right. I had to buy all the brackets for the power pump,alternator and all that stuff. Exhaust had to be bent on it. I could not get a exhaust pipe for a 4wh drive,Ford F250,heavy duty, with a 300. ;D  I have seen very few trucks with the big front end that had under it. I only hauled wood for about 12 miles. But the truck was a power house that far. I ran 8 plys bias on it too. Took a while to get the tires warmed up in the winter time. ;D  I would ran the max on tire pressure when I was hauling wood. It had a utility body on it,the sides could be removed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I'd get about 17 MPG on the '77 .Now the '72 I had with a 390  loaded or empty 12 MPG .I've still got the engine and tranny and the bed is a trailer .

Now a story .Around 1980 after having a tad too much liquid "refreshments" and a lead foot I managed to clip a pole off in front of a ladies house with the '72 and ended up in her front yard .She was rather upset about that .I got a severe tongue  lashing over that feat .I learned my lesson well . 

Now almost 40 years later I watch my P's and Q's ,my lead foot is a feather foot .That lady will be a permanent  resident at the same address as myself .So I guess  that episode worked out okay in the long haul for me. ;D  The poor old truck however didn't fair quite as well .It got a tad bit wrinkled .

Bruno of NH

Took Henry on it first delivery today.
One cord load,didn't even feel like it was loaded.

Logging logginglogging

I have a very similar on ton dump bed on a k2500 seems to work pretty good so far.

Ohio Dave

The 78 GMC 1 tom dump I use own had a 6x9 bed.  So with those dimensions  3.5ft total depth should hold a cord. Also you should be able to put 5 tons in it if everything is working properly.  Since a cord of green oak wieghs less than 3 tons you should be good.

moodnacreek

7'x9'x4' high will take a full cord loose. Been doing it for years, have had customers with sheds 8' wide and they measure it for you.

rubberfish

I'm confused. And new at this firewood gig. So here goes.
Google tells me a cord is 4'X4'X8'. How does this not easily fit in a pickup?
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

barbender

That is a cord, neatly stacked. 128 cubic feet. You use a different number to find the volume with a loosely thrown cord, which most people delivering firewood are using (it takes a lot more time and effort to stack the wood in a truck). This number will be in the area of 180 cubic feet.
Too many irons in the fire

Banjo picker

Good lookin truck there Bruno.  smile_banjoman
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: rubberfish on September 05, 2019, 11:20:04 PM
I'm confused. And new at this firewood gig. So here goes.
Google tells me a cord is 4'X4'X8'. How does this not easily fit in a pickup?
popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

rubberfish

Ok. This makes more sense this morning after rereading the thread.
I know that loosely tossed it required more space. Just wasn't seeing that it grew to 180+ in size.

I'll be fine.  :D
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

rjwoelk

We put our firewood in mini bulk bags and we have measured this out when we stake it in the wood shed. We get a third of a cord give or take a smidgen, It is hard to measure a bag as it pots out a lot. But based on the size of the bag 53 cubic ft, 159 cubic ft, plus the stretching of the bag we are good. The whole issue is you get charged by the cord in 16 ft length, measured. Then you cut and split and now stack it tight, it will not come out the same, so one has to have that figured into the end price.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

GRANITEstateMP

A "Thrown" or "Tossed" cord of cut and split 16-18in wood should measure 180cu/ft.  That is when you throw the wood into a truck after splitting or load the truck with a conveyor.  If doing 22-24in length wood we load 195cu/ft to get the same 128cu/ft cord of stacked wood.  Pretty sure either the University or Vermont, or Maine has a paper on it somewhere.

We have my dump trailer marked as to where the 180 and 195 cu/ft level is.  We normally load off of a conveyor and will use a potato rake to make sure the load is somewhat level.  This makes sure I don't short the customer, or put in too much wood and short myself ;D 
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

JJ

When I had my e-Classic 2300, I would get 20" logs I would expect 195 cubic feet per cord.
Maine law about firewood sales is detailed in below thread (firewood sales is quite serious business in ME).

Thrown Cord in General Board

Only once did it come up short (by 3/4 cord), and the owner of the firewood company was quite upset with his crew.  He said that with longer logs, he would always tell the crew to mound the load over.

Anyway I ended up buying another cord, and when he delivered the make-up load, and one I ordered, I was about 1/2 of a cord over (I bought 6 cord that year).

JJ

shamusturbo

I bought a new one ton dump in Nov 2016. It can haul 1 cord, easily. I know the Fords have quite a bit more weight capacity. I believe it is registered for 13,200# and weights 7,200 empty. So legal capacity is exactly 3 ton. It was said earlier, and I agree, a green cord of oak is right around 2 tons.

I think the solid front axle has a lot to do with it. But the Chevy definitely rides a lot smoother.

Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 10, 2019, 07:11:29 PM
It's a dump body
Some folks call them mason bodies  

do you put higher sides on yours? I have one that is more narrow on the bottom part with tapered sides, It has a single lift cylinder. 

Logging logginglogging

This is what I am using with the sander removed and high wooden sideboards. (notice the tapered sides to a small bed floor)
My ton truck:

Bruno of NH

I put 4' sides on the dump bed for the firewood delivery's 

chrissheerman

Bruno seems like your on here a lot and have good info and advise. I'll have to watch for that truck on my travels from now on. I'm just down the road in Unity NH. I've been thinking about trying to get into firewood for past couple years just haven't had time yet been building my house. I've been told there's enough demand in our area that I could get in on firewood and not be stepping on the toes a full timer long timer like you. Although the prices I see these fly by night guys do make me wonder. I'm sure they are selling short cords and not insured in anyway for business work.  Hope you have a great season this year. 

Bruno of NH

Quote from: chrissheerman on August 12, 2020, 10:34:02 PM
Bruno seems like your on here a lot and have good info and advise. I'll have to watch for that truck on my travels from now on. I'm just down the road in Unity NH. I've been thinking about trying to get into firewood for past couple years just haven't had time yet been building my house. I've been told there's enough demand in our area that I could get in on firewood and not be stepping on the toes a full timer long timer like you. Although the prices I see these fly by night guys do make me wonder. I'm sure they are selling short cords and not insured in anyway for business work.  Hope you have a great season this year.
You wouldn't be stepping on my toes.
I used to go to Unity a lot.
But now I just stay under 10 miles from the mill and stay as busy with firewood as I want.
I measure all my wood in racks then dump it in to Henry.My cord looks bigger then most in the truck.
Stop in some time. 

Thank You Sponsors!