iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to sawing!

Started by scooba106, February 21, 2017, 08:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooba106

Hello I am new to the forum and also new to sawing.
I have done woodworking a long time in a small way. Now awhile back a guy gave me his old manual mill so I have been trying to figure it out. What are some of the techniques I should know to cut good lumber? Thanks for any advice :)

terrifictimbersllc

Welcome Scooba, I stared at your question awhile.  Maybe start with updating your profile to include your location and brand/model of sawmill, and what kind of logs you have or will have access to.

Without knowing anything else, I'd suggest getting your mill running and being able to cut several flat boards off of a small log would be the first step.  With great attention to personal safety.

Did you get a manual with your mill, and when was the last time anyone sawed with it?
Do you have any new or sharp blades?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Treehack

Welcome scooba.
I agree that an owners manual would be best place to start as far as getting your particular mill aligned and tuned to make good cuts.  If it is a mill from one of the main manufacturers, you should be able to get a manual from them if you did not get one with the mill.  If it was home built, maybe the guy you got it from could give you some insight.  If you have a good sharp blade, level cutting deck, and blade aligned level to cutting deck in both directions, should be a good starting point.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

scooba106

Thanks for the replies so far! I tried to get my profile updated but couldn't get the map to cooperate so. . .  My mill is a Wood Wizard. I have only been able to find a picture online and no information but maybe someone else knows where it was made or can give me some insight on it. No owners manual and the guy that gave it to me is a fast talker and just said "this crank runs it up and down and that turns the blade on and make sure the bed is level and here is a box of new blades and have a nice day 🙂". He just ordered a fully loaded Wood Mixer and needed to get rid of this one so I was happy to take it(only 5hrs in gas). I will be cutting mostly pine and oak and a few other specialty logs and such . . . Did I miss anything 🙂

Kbeitz

Wood Wizard made shop saws and table saws and drill presses.

Even electric motors.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=435&tab=4

Someone else on this forum has a post about one.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=55232.0

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Your best bet to help learn a lot is read some old threads here. These guys, most are pro's and saw for money. They share the know how very freely. Great group of people. ;D There is so much to learn. Heck, I only been sawing two years and something ticked about a month ago that I had read here.

How to read a log to get the best lumber out of it. :D

Yep, I learn that the hard way because I was not taking the time in the pass of really reading a log.

For you, once you get your mill lined out, start with small logs. Try to plan out a log first before sawing. Kind of know what you want out of it. ;D

TKehl

Quote from: scooba106 on February 21, 2017, 11:42:39 AM
the guy that gave it to me is a fast talker and just said "this crank runs it up and down and that turns the blade on and make sure the bed is level and here is a box of new blades and have a nice day 🙂".

Sounds like when my dad taught me to drive.  "Steer between the square bales, use this stick if I tell you to go faster (could barely see over the wheel much less reach the pedals), if you run into trouble, just turn the key this way."

Sounds like you have the basics to get started.  I'd recommend watching a few Youtube videos to get the gist of it.  Doesn't necessarily have to be about your make and model of mill either to learn a lot.    Woodmizer LT10 or LT15 videos may be a good place to start.  All bandmills are pretty much the same, except where they are different.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

paul case

Scooba106,
You musta been bitten by the sawmill bug as you arent making good sense.

What is a WOODMIXER?
;D
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

killamplanes

"All bandmills are pretty much the same, except where they are different"

That's good stuff Tkehl  :D ;D
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum. Lots to reading a log. depends what you want too. 2x4? Furniture wood? I've seen some wood on here that came out very nice in a bench or a table. Knots can be good and bad,depends on what you want.
Saw away and have some fun. Hide your mistakes in a bon fire. :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scooba106

scooba106

I just posted a picture of a Wood Wizard mill like mine that I found online but don't have a picture of mine but this one is just like mine. Can someone tell me how to read a log or give a link to a thread on here that I can look at :o

Magicman

Here is a rather lengthy topic on sawing Framing Lumber
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: paul case on February 21, 2017, 07:35:21 PM
Scooba106,
You musta been bitten by the sawmill bug as you arent making good sense.

What is a WOODMIXER?
;D
PC
Its a type of sew mail covered in my siding agreement.  :snowball:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

paul case

Scooba,
Your mill picture sure looks like a burg sawmill to me.
http://www.burgbandsawmills.com/picturestwo.html

My guess wood wizard is the model?

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

scooba106

Thanks folks! Guess I got some reading to do! Keep talkin if you got more :P

paul case

A friend of mine bought a burg mill new. It worked fine. I cut him some long 6x6 to set it on. He sold it to a neighbor of mine who bought 2 new long 6x6 from me to sit it on at his place. I dont think he ever sawed any with it and sold it. I guess I made some money with a burg bandmill.

PC
pc

Thank You Sponsors!