iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Huricane Florence

Started by Lawg Dawg, September 07, 2018, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Quote from: nativewolf on September 14, 2018, 02:21:37 PM
Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 13, 2018, 01:33:34 PM
My guys are now in Leland NC awaiting orders.
I want to apologize in advance for Leland.   This on behalf of all the great natives in the state...well with Leland we screwed up a little bit.  We shoveled all the armpit out of Wilmington and had to stick it somewhere and SC was such a long drive and someone said just dump it over there in the swamp and so we did.  The guy dumping it was named Leland and we kept shouting Leland dump that trailer of leaking transformers over there, Lelan dump that old creosote tank over, etc etc.  He eventually just started calling it Leland and it stuck.  
it might have stuck but that armpit of a place is about as attractive as Leland; and he wasn't much to look at
Liking Walnut

Southside

You know somewhere there is a DOT guy looking at that ratchet strapped roof and wondering if those are rated straps and if he can somehow write a ticket if they are not...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Yup, my Reply #91 was to remind folks that there is much going on behind the scenes that most Cell/internet users do not realize.  There are acres and acres (thousands) of serviced Diesel powered generators ready to be dispatched to affected areas which will be necessary to restore/maintain cell service not only to local subscribers but also to all of the service restoration crews and emergency personnel.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Update.  Heavy rain hit, power is flickering, still relatively mild here. Hope everyone is okay!  My prayers to all affected.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Hilltop366

I'm a bit confused there fish, your location says Mississippi, looks like that is quite a ways from where the storm is?

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: nativewolf on September 14, 2018, 02:22:46 PM
I want to apologize in advance for Leland.   This on behalf of all the great natives in the state...well with Leland we screwed up a little bit.  We shoveled all the armpit out of Wilmington and had to stick it somewhere and SC was such a long drive and someone said just dump it over there in the swamp and so we did.  The guy dumping it was named Leland and we kept shouting Leland dump that trailer of leaking transformers over there, Lelan dump that old creosote tank over, etc etc.  He eventually just started calling it Leland and it stuck.  
it might have stuck but that armpit of a place is about as attractive as Leland; and he wasn't much to look at
So it's a nice place?  Worth saving?  
I'll let the guys know.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

Quote from: Hilltop366 on September 14, 2018, 06:52:26 PM
I'm a bit confused there fish, your location says Mississippi, looks like that is quite a ways from where the storm is?
Check Reply #53.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

Ahhh... now I get it.

Hope every one is safe!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wish I wuz in Missississississippi.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

You can always "phone a friend".  ;D

caveman

I just texted a friend in New Bern.  His basement is flooded but the water is receding.  He has no power and a lot of trees down but is otherwise okay.  My son in law, a lineman, is somewhere in NC, restoring power or preparing to restore power.  
Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

samandothers

Fish, I thought you were in Kingston vs Kingstree.  Glad to know you are a bit farther inland.

Caveman,  the help is appreciated.  I am sure there will be many in the Carolina's.  Is he with a Utility or a contractor?

caveman

Quote from: samandothers on September 15, 2018, 12:40:46 AMIs he with a Utility or a contractor

He works for a private company, Team Fishel, that usually does work for TECO (Tampa Electric Company).  
Caveman

nativewolf

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 14, 2018, 07:06:20 PM
Quote from: nativewolf on September 14, 2018, 02:22:46 PM
So it's a nice place?  Worth saving?  
I'll let the guys know.
Well...if they bother saving anything in Leland I would say tax dollars ill used  :D.  Hopefully they'll move just up the road to Wilmington or Burgaw (home of the firewood kiln guys kilndirect) the rest of leland can float out with the debris and folks can just jump off the debris as it floats past wilmington out to the sea.  
Liking Walnut

Magicman

That ultra ground soaking is going to allow especially Oak, and other shallow rooted trees, to be tipped over by the wind.  Devastating.  :-\

Don P

Well don't be shy, tell us how you really feel NW :D

I just got off the phone with Dad, they're in Greenville across the road from ECU with the Tar river on the other side. They got lots of rain but little wind damage. Utilities are up there. They're telling them the Tar won't flood but looking at the radar upstream I'm not so sure. Haven't heard from big Sis yet, she's nearer Scott in the big woods by Jordan Lake.

We got a call from the county last night warning of flash flooding through the early week, we've been saturated since the flash flooding the 8th. We finally saw some dry concrete in the basement at work yesterday after I got all the wet materials out of there and ran fans and a dh.

Stay safe everyone.

Roxie

Quote from: nativewolf on September 15, 2018, 08:56:03 AM

Well...if they bother saving anything in Leland I would say tax dollars ill used  :D.  Hopefully they'll move just up the road to Wilmington or Burgaw (home of the firewood kiln guys kilndirect) the rest of leland can float out with the debris and folks can just jump off the debris as it floats past wilmington out to the sea.  

Are you talking about human beings here?  Would those be the poor and disenfranchised that cannot afford to evacuate? 
Say when

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It appears the Tropical Storm has now slowed to 2 mph.
The eye if this is the right terminology for a TS is still near Myrtle Beach.
It is slowly moving our way slightly to the South of us.
We will be catching the North side of the storm which they say is the worst.

The rain here started sometime this morning after midnight.
So far a little under 1/2 inch of rain.
But can see and hear the rain is picking up.

I see on the news where Charlotte, N.C. 20 30 minutes to the North of us are really having trees fall over within the city.
These trees are the older Oaks that have concrete sidewalks and parking lots around them.
Some of these oaks are so big they have a hollow interior but look healthy.

The tree damage we are having in my area so far are mostly limbs coming off of Bradford Pear trees.....some of you know what I'm talking about.
I listen to 911 and the Sheriff's Dept. channel on my walkie talkie. Not a lot of things happening right now.
No power lines down or roads blocked.

I just saw on the news that in some N.C. towns people are actually breaking in to businesses and stealing propane tanks etc.

Its gonna get worse here....no doubt....its just slowly coming.

fishpharmer

I hope everone in the storm stays safe.  I am thankful for all the brave selfless people, like Caveman's son in law, that are helping the storm victims.  My hat's off to all those fine folks.  

Fortunately, the storm has been relatively mild (for us), so far.   We have still not lost power and the flickering stopped (not sure why).  Once the eye passes, it may be worse for us as the winds hit us from the south.

Stay safe, and thanks for such a great forestry forum family!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

We saw caravans of service trucks/personnel stopping to eat and fueling up yesterday. 

samandothers

Glad to hear all are safe.

Caveman, I hope and pray he and others assisting stay safe and return home in as good a shape as they left in....maybe a bit more tired!

Hilltop366

I was talking to a woman at the bank Thursday, she said that her son and another person (Power company workers) were heading south from here in Nova Scotia to provide help .

firefighter ontheside

Nativewolf, I'm sorry to report that my guys have rescued 27 folks from a special needs facility in Leland and 2 from from a location in Bolivia.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mike_belben

I came pretty close to parking dozer and forktruck on either side of camper to strap it down through a storm last year.  But then figured it'd probably only serve to tear the roof open. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!