iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawhead vibration

Started by gator gar, July 01, 2010, 02:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator gar

I was cutting some boards yesterday for my chicken house and out of the blue, I started hearing and feeling some vibration in the sawhead. I got out there today and it seemed to not be getting any better and maybe a little worse. I thought I had a bad bearing. I start analyzing each piece and realize it is little wads of hard sap build-up on the inside of my pulley, under my B-57 belt.  I have been running alot of water on my blades due to very sappy pine, so I guess it was just some accumulatin over time. It's pretty wild, how some little pockets of that stuff will throw you out of alignment.

For the record.... I checked those spots because of some of the past post that I read on here. I can't take credit for figuring it out on my own, because I would have probably never thought to look under there. Anyway, I put it all back together and it seems to be fine.

ely

good catch, if you run it that way very long it will break your bands pretty fast.

Don K

I usually check my wheels at each blade change. Takes only a moment.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Magicman

Quote from: gator gar on July 01, 2010, 02:40:21 PM
I have been running alot of water on my blades due to very sappy pine. 

You didn't mention it, but 8-10 oz. of Cascade or similar dish washing soap makes a difference in water's ability to remove sap.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

I've had it happen a couple of times, when I was sawing snow-encrusted logs. I noticed the build up always occurred at the balance holes in the band wheels, and always on the drive side. I've marked the location of all the balance holes using a white paint stick on the outside of the wheel -- makes it easy to do a quick check.

The vibration isn't due to imbalance, it's caused by the little bump stretching the blade on every revolution of the wheel. As ely says, it's pretty hard on the blades.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

gator gar

Quote from: Brucer on July 02, 2010, 12:22:03 AM

The vibration isn't due to imbalance, it's caused by the little bump stretching the blade on every revolution of the wheel. As ely says, it's pretty hard on the blades.

I sure didn't know that. I thought it was throwing the wheel out of balance. Good to know these things. I think I will do like Don and check my pulley after every blade change and get into that habit.

ely

the way it was explained to me was , that small bump on the wheel acts the same as someone standing there whacking the band with a stick at each revolution. and when you get to thinking about it thats a lot of whacks.

Magicman

Just thought that I would pass along another source for vibration.  A small piece of bark (generally oak or cherry) can wedge itself tightly in a blade guide roller.  It doesn't have to stick up very much to really cause a problem, and is easily overlooked.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wwsjr

I try to look at each blade change and also switch belts from drive to idle side and back after 4 or 5 blade changes. This helps to keep even wear on the belts.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

379hammerdown

That sap will build up on you very fast! I used to use water, then water with pinesol, water with dawn, water with tears of frustration etc... but the best thing I've found is straight diesel. Thats it. On the pine I do a drip every second and on hardwoods every other second. I have no problems anymore. Try it and you wont regret it.

gator gar

Quote from: 379hammerdown on July 02, 2010, 03:16:27 PM
. but the best thing I've found is straight diesel. Thats it. On the pine I do a drip every second and on hardwoods every other second. I have no problems anymore. Try it and you wont regret it.

You're not running your blade on the rubber belts like the Woodmizer owners are. The Logmaster Mills run those big balanced wheels without the belts. I hear the diesel isn't good for the belts, but. worse comes to worse, I'll try it for a little while anyway.

Fred

I use diesel too and it goes a long ways.
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

paul case

gator,
i use diesel on my mill and it has give me no problems in 300 hours. im still running the belts that came on it.e-z boardwalk mill. i still do have some problems from time to time with the stuff being stuck to the belts and just stopping the mill and rubbing the belts with my gloves takes care of it. does your mill have a chip deflector? it is on the exit side and inside the band to help stop dust from floating into the wheels on the inside of the band.
pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

I would always be inclined to follow the sawmill manufacturers recommendations.  They have spend the R&D bucks for their particular mill's requirements.

boman1

Mark, I bet the "Mayors" mill don't vibrate like that! Stop by and visit since you laying around the house now.....  I had a vibration a few weeks ago myself! My idle side wheel came apart.....why it came apart is a story within its self!

Bo

gator gar

Quote from: boman1 on July 02, 2010, 09:43:40 PM
Mark, I bet the "Mayors" mill don't vibrate like that! Stop by and visit since you laying around the house now.....  I had a vibration a few weeks ago myself! My idle side wheel came apart.....why it came apart is a story within its self!

Bo

I have a couple of jobs to do, but I will deffinately get by there to see you next week. I should have went by there this week, but I just didn't make it. Do I need to bring my mill, or just the replacement pulley???

paul case

thats some serious carnage.im up for the story.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!