iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

031AV rebuilding?

Started by Satamax, November 24, 2011, 02:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Well, i have a running 045. I could do with a lighter saw.

Some part in the ignition of the 031 is dead, needs a new bar and chain, and may be a new carb, or joint kit.

Is it worth rebuilding? Or? I bet it's something like the coil, and i would think the coil of the 041 next to it wouldn't fit?

Thanks guys.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Al_Smith

Well it might be a challange .That model shows both a set of points plus an electric trigger unit .I should think it is either /or not both .Plus all the ignition components are inside the flywheel .

I've never worked on one and only seen one in my life time sitting in the bone pile  of a Stihl dealer if that tells you anything .

T Welsh

An Ignition module and bar and chain will be in the ball park of $200 + carb kit $15.If it is indeed a points set up and not a e-trigger,I would thing long and hard on rebuilding it.If not adjusted properly,both carb and Ign. it will give you fits. You will have spent half the cost of a new saw already. Tim

Al_Smith

The IPL only shows one coil number .It would be my guess it's either a bad condenser if it's a points system or the trigger unit if so equipted .

It might be something as simple as burnishing and resetting the points too.

Now were it me I'd tinker with it just for the challange if I never cut wood with it --collector ya know . ;) However if you're not into that stuff most likely 90 percent of the dealers would just roll their eyes and shrug off the job .

The point I'm trying to make is just about anything is possible to repair it just comes down to the point does the ends justify the means .

NCFarmboy

Unless you just want to "save" it I would pawn it off on somebody else.  A real pain to work on.  If you want something in that size 44mm piston (if I remember correctly) look for an 026 or an 028.  Both are bullet proof and lighter too.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Satamax

Hi everybody!

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I'll carry on tinkering with it, as Al sugested. I mean, remove the flywheel and check the parts. If it's mater of one coil, or capacitor, or points resseting, i can manage that. I might find a dead chainsaw in a skip for a new bar. But if i have to spend a big wad of money on it, i'd call it quits. And i will buy something else.

I think i know pretty much what i need. Lighter i can get with a 20 bar. I need a machine which can be used, atached to a rope with a harness, lying on a roof, head down to cut rafters for example. For the moment, it's the job of a 045AV ;D The main thing for me, finding a machine which doesn't weight more than 5 kilos with bar and chain, all tanks filled. Thta would be nice.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

sawguy21

That 045 is way too heavy for that kind of work. What about an 026 or the later version the MS260? The 031 was a good saw in it's day but not easy to service and parts are getting scarce.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mrcaptainbob

I gave my non-working 031AV to my son a few ears ago. I now have it back as part of my arsenal. What he did was to gently shave some of the plastic back on the coil where the wire comes out. He managed to expose enough of the fine wire that he got purchase to solder a new lead to it. He epoxied it back up and it runs GREAT! Fiddle with it. It may be a super added saw to your arsenal.

bandmiller2

031's were good saws what they lacked in screem they made up in longevity.I have one I bought new in 76 it kept my home warm and my circular mill fed for 20 years.Don't use it much now went to bigger saws but she will still run.Well worth fixing if you can do it yourself. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!