iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Green Egg

Started by Old Forester, July 18, 2011, 04:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forester

Has anyone had any experiancew with the "Big Green Egg"???  I keep looking at them, and like the idea behind them, but have a hard time being willing to spend the money for one.   Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about the "Big Green Egg, are they worth the money, and has anyone tried to build one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Raider Bill

They are billed as an all in one grill, smoker, oven etc. They work great for every one of those and then some but I tend to smoke in my Cookshack, Rotiss on the Ducane, and charcoal burgers in a Weber kettle.
But The BGE rocks with brisket, steaks done at about 1100F degree WOW!!!!! Chicken!!! Delish!!!
You can get one drawing so hot it reminds me of a rocket engine almost.

There are a couple knock offs Can't think of the name right now and I don't know much about them.

I do know someone liked mine so much they took it out of my back yard. :o >:( >:( >:( :'(

Pricey yep sure are but if you can buy one! :) ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Norm

I have a couple of them, an XL and a large. Pricey yes but they have a lifetime warranty and I fully expect them to last that long.  :D

I addition to what Raider Bill said I can make the best pizza possible outside of a WFO. Chicken comes out moist, steaks taste great, pork butt and brisket are awesome. I cooked up 4 pork butts and had enough lump left over to cook spare ribs. It's pretty much a set it and forget cooker for those long cooks.

There are some knock offs like the bubba keg, kamado, primo and a few others I can't think of right now. No experience with those myself.

BrothersMule

Go for it. My wife got me one last fall as a wedding gift and i love it. It realy is a all in one. I have used it from slow smoking a boston butt to baking pizza and everything in between. It holds the heat better then any grill i have ever used and if your not carefull it can get up to that 1100F Raider Bill mentioned although with some practice it is fairly easy to regulate.. It really adds great flavor also even if you are grilling or baking on it you still get a nice smoke flavor.. If you like cooking with charcoal then you will love the BGE.

I have a friend that has two of the off brands and he seems to be happy with them. I think the handles may have broke off but they seem to cook and perform the same.

The quality of the BGE is excelent also. My Dad knows a guy who found one on a job he was on about 20yrs ago. The lady had taken it apart and was using the lid as a flower pot and was trashing the rest of it. When he asked about it her husband said he could have it and was able to find all  the parts and peices for it. He took it home, cleand it and is still using it to this day.

Great Product!!

Chris Burchfield

I have a Bubba Keg now manufactured as Big Steel Keg.  I think it is more economical and not nearly as heavy.

More information and pics in my photo album.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Old Forester

Thanks for the relys, guess the answer is to find the dollars to buy the BGE.

Thanks

zopi

A little pricey for a grill, smoker...they work great, but god awful expensive...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Yoopersaw

Will they break if knocked over?

Patty

They are made from ceramic, so if tipped over on concrete, then odds are, they will break.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!