iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood sales this season.

Started by deerslayer, January 11, 2016, 01:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerslayer

Around here (middle Georgia) firewood sales have been in the toilet. We've had a really warm winter with most days hitting the 50's and days in December in the 70's. It has cooled off the last couple days so I may be getting some calls but it's just been dead.

Note: we don't have ash trees here and there have been no widespread disasters increasing the supply of wood. It appears to me it's a combination of warm temps and low gas/propane prices. (not much oil heat in these parts)

A lot of people heat with electricity and I would think they would still be burning wood (if it gets cold)
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

beenthere

It has been warm in the north too.  (although -10°F this morning)

Looks like oil price may continue the down-turn.. according to this
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2016/01/11/oil-prices-fall-for-sixth-day/?intcmp=hplnws
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NWP

The cold weather in the last few days here has kicked up some sales. Prior to that it had been slow.  Typically it's always slow between Christmas and New Years for me.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

rjwoelk

Deerslayer I jusy got to oakwood ga north east of atlanta, last night, hauled in a load of steel tubing from out of atlas tube in Harrow ON. Was a bit nippy here this morning.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

coxy

sold 4 tri axel loads to my self  :D :D

OH logger

was a record good year here for me, BUT a lot of the wholesale wood I sold this fall was green and will be used for next year so I think (am almost positive) that next years sales will be way down. that's the way it goes I guess. lucky its just a sideline and not my main income ;)
john

Ford_man

Coxy did you give the buyer a quantity discount on the price?   :D :D :D :D :D

coxy

NO everyone pays the same  :D :D

deerslayer

I made the OP in January of 2016, that winter I sold one trailer load of wood. Last winter (2016-2017) I didn't sell ANY firewood. This winter I haven't sold any either but we really haven't had much cold weather. Firewood sales around here tend to be more panic inspired than steady. ie, if they forecast an ice storm event I'd be getting calls.
I advertise on the local facebook page and Craigslist. Not a big deal and there's a lot of competition. My price is $140 per cord and prorated for smaller amounts. I won't sell it for less than that. I'll push it in a pile and burn it before I give it away (unless it was a needy person).
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

GRANITEstateMP

We are closing in on 100 cord.  I figured we'd be somewhere around 65 or 70 at the beginning of the year but we've been doing some processing for a fella and those cords add up quicker.  Kinda nice to just process the wood and not have to truck it, dump it (never in an easy spot), get money, and drive home and start again!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

OH logger

I have 2 or 3 semi loads to bring away to clean up the pile but I'm gonna be right around 500 full cord sold sinse February 1st 2017. I never thought I would come close to that this year. last winter was warm and I upped my prices a REAL LITTLE BIT this fall. I deliver with a 1 ton that can hold a cord and a half. other years I would deliver a cord or 1.5 cord at a time but this year there was a rule change. only 1.5 cord deliveries. it takes as much time to deliver a cord as it does 1.5 cord. also a bought a cleaner and customers are REAL happy with the product. also I bought an older grain truck that holds 3 cord. customers don't care but it sure helps me save time   :) just a few needed improvements to efficiency  ;)
john

GRANITEstateMP

OH Logger, good point on it taking the same amount of time to deliver 1 or 1.5...  You got me thinking for next year!  Might need to upgrade my 3/4 ton to a 1 ton (I pull a 12ft dump trailer) not sure she'd like to always be that heavy!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

coxy

as of dec 1st I gave my neighbor 40 tri axle loads of wood all he had to do is pay the trucking 6 miles up the road 8)   the truck driver got 4 load to bring me 10 at my house  and still not done with this TSI/ash cut have about 10-15 more tri axle loads of wood to go  ::)

Stoneyacrefarm

Too bad you're not my neighbor Coxy.
He's getting a bargain there.  8)
Work hard. Be rewarded.

coxy

he don't complain about me at working in my shop and starting Detroits and derby cars with straight headers at 1 in the morning  :o   the other neighbor is a different story he complains about every thing hes just a typical NYC jack butt  :D

Stoneyacrefarm

Good neighbors are a great thing.
I only have one neighbor.
He's great.
I plow his driveway for him in the winter.
Drop him off firewood once in a while.
My roosters wake him up everyday.  :D :D
My cows and sheep keep his lawn fertilized year round when they escape.  :o
Good neighbor for sure.  :D
Work hard. Be rewarded.

coxy

that to me would be free beef  ;) :D :D

starmac

With the new regulations against burning wood, or any other solid fuel, all the firewood guys I know are reporting weaker sales, and it will only get worse as they start enforcing the issue.
I do not anybody that has actually been fined yet, but do have a close friend that got a certified warning letter, that claims he will be fined 1000 bucks the next time they see smoke out of his chimney on a cold day.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

TKehl

Quote from: starmac on December 21, 2017, 05:33:35 PM
new regulations against burning wood

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

there has to be more to it  ??? ???

upnut

This has been around for some time, just research EPA wood burning stoves...

This is the first real-world experience I've read.....Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

OH logger

just hauled the last semi load away yesterday and gonna start bustin up more wood Tuesday  ;D.  officially sinse last February 1st I sold 543 full cord. still I have lots of people callin for wood and when I tell them I'm sold out they are not happy. oh well.  great year and glad to be done...well for a little bit. 2 customers I wholesale to want lots of wood as soon as its ready so they can start putting it up for next year. and the cycle of life continues...  :)
john

Gearbox

Going to be 20 below for the next few days . The phone will be ringing . Poor planning on there part is not a emergency on my part sorry Sold out .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

DelawhereJoe

If they try to ban wood heating, I think its time for a class action lawsuit against the EPA.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!