iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pecan

Started by NWP, September 07, 2013, 03:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWP

I know how some of you love to saw pecan the devil.  Here's two loads of it I got in this week. Don't get too jealous.  :D

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

customsawyer

I have to say those are some nice looking logs.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That;s the most Pecan I've ever seen in one place.....in log form, that is.
Good whack there.
What's the plans for the lumber?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

NWP

There'll probably be twice that amount at least by the time it gets all hauled in. Probably 20-25,000 feet. It's all going to smoke a lot of meat. I bought it from a logger that couldn't find a buyer other than pallet or firewood and the trees were coming out for a lake. Seems a shame to not be able to use it for anything other than firewood. I may haul some to the pallet mill that won't go through my processor.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Nomad

My first thought was "All that?  Pecan?  Better you than me!!!"  But if it's gonna be mostly smoking wood you might be able to corner the market.
     On the other hand as big a pain as pecan can be to saw it really is pretty wood.  I sawed some for flooring awhile back that turned out absolutely beautiful.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

slider

You best be finding some 7 or 4 degree bands .That sure would make some nice flooring.
al glenn

mesquite buckeye

Don't forget to save some boards for the world's most pretzelly board contest. Could be some winners in there. ;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

woodweasel

What is so difficult about sawing pecan? I only sawed 2 approx 28'' diamX 20' !
didnt have any problens what so ever, did I get lucky or what :o ??? Daniel

hackberry jake

If I had that much pecan to saw... I would take it to the local circle mill. I would also try to make a 2' wide stack about 100' tall for enough weight to keep most of it flat.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

I have found that large Pecan logs behave very well and produce some nice lumber.

Small stuff like 12"-15" and limbs can give much trouble.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

You can saw it out fine, but it can be a challenge to dry straight and true unless the boards are clear and free of knots.  Around knots that are a good size, the board will get a wave in it at the knot that will not plane out easily or not at all.  Requires you to use the boards in shorter lengths.  Also tends to split and check more than most other woods that I have dried.  So, more challenge in the drying and machining area versus sawing it green, although sawing green can be a challenge too with wavy cuts and tension in the log.  It is really hard wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yup, I overlooked mentioning knots.  Notice that my logs have no knots.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

Magic, it looks like you got away with using a slightly dull band as well based on the "strings". It also looks like you had plenty of set as well based on the sawdust on the board on the right. Plenty of set helps a lot with pecan!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

You don't see pecan logs like those very often.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

NWP

FF member Kcwoodbutcher and a couple of his customers came up Sunday and picked up three big pecan logs. There wasn't quite enough room on the trailer for the fourth log. We had a good visit. Hope the logs work out good.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wow....I think I could do something with the log that has the crotch in it. Nice logs!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

NWP

Poston, I have some more if you're up for a drive.  There was 738 BF in those 3.

LeeB

How far is Kearny from Springfield? I like pecan. Cut my teeth on it. My first logs were pecan.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

Never mind. Looked it up. 300 miles plus from me.  :(
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Kcwoodbutcher

That upper log got wedged in pretty tight during the trip home. Took a bit of work to pull it off. I'll start sawing as soon as it dries up again. It was a nice visit, I don't get out often.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

grweldon

Quote from: LeeB on September 17, 2013, 07:33:40 PM
How far is Kearny from Springfield? I like pecan. Cut my teeth on it. My first logs were pecan.

Interesting Lee.  My first logs were pecan also.  Started cutting one within an hour of the mill being delivered.  I wasn't very happy with the way the mill performed on them but I was using the 10deg. blades that came with the mill because I didn't know any better.  I'll be cutting some more within the next year and I'm sure I'll have better results.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Magicman

It's not always the fact that it is Pecan.  It may very well be the small or knotty log that is the main problem.  I have seen the slabs curl up as the faces are opened on small logs.  I had one customer that I advised what was going to happen on a small log.  Sure enough it did and he finally decided to throw the "log" off.

Good clear logs saw well.  Small or knotty, not so much.   :-\

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 17, 2013, 03:07:22 PM
I think I could do something with the log that has the crotch in it.

All my crotch pecan so far has split at the crotch  :).  Crotchety stuff to say the least. 

Magicman

You had better make a bench out of it because furniture will break your heart.   :-\

woodweasel

I'm in the process of  a making chest (hope chest? cedar chest?) out of
pecan ! Will post pics as I progress ! ;D

WDH

If you can keep the boards straight, it will be beautiful.  Your wood working tools will hate you, though. 

5quarter

Woodweasel...usually called a blanket chest, or if your in the Army, a foot locker. ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

woodweasel

10-4 on my tools hating on me ! Built the wife a chest of drawers out of
mesquite! Very tuff on the tools for sure :(

woodweasel

Back in the day the chest were called  Hope Chest. Young females would
keep items for when they Hoped to wed. There fathers called them the same
as they Hoped to get their daughters of their Payroll 8) 8) I build most of
mine out of cedar so I refer to them as Cedar Chest ;D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: woodweasel on December 06, 2013, 09:41:36 AM
Back in the day the chest were called  Hope Chest. Young females would
keep items for when they Hoped to wed. There fathers called them the same
as they Hoped to get their daughters of their Payroll 8) 8) I build most of
mine out of cedar so I refer to them as Cedar Chest ;D

And the ones my Dad and I used to make out of cedar we called Cedar Hope Chests.

Must have made and sold at least 100 of them in the 60's. Sold them for $35 to the general public or $25 to members of our church (Dad was a Southern Baptist preacher and the cedar lumber had been donated to him after the completion of a renovation of the church...)

I'd sure love to have one of them now.

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!